Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
And it does expire. If you buy a 20 year old home, you only pay the remaining 20.
This is correct, but the explanation sounds odd.

Correct me if I am wrong, this is the way our worked: The Mello Roos expires when it expires (for example 15 years after it was initiated). If you purchase an eight year old home then the Mello Roos expires in seven years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 AM

93 posts, read 254,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It is the old adage, "You can pay me now, or pay me later" If the developer picks up the bill, they raise the cost of the house If the builder doesn't pay the bill for the infrastructure, then you get mello roos taxes.
Either way you pay the bill. It's another form of creative financing..!
And it does expire. If you buy a 20 year old home, you only pay the remaining 20.
Which setup is preferable: new home with "no MR" (pay now) or new home with MR (pay as you go) if you plan to live there for 5 years and then sell? Does no MR or MR make any difference to a future home buyer when you try to sell your house?

If you have 2 $800k new houses in the same area, one has MR and the other one is "no MR". Does it mean the "no MR" house should be of lesser quality due to the built-in MR? How do you figure out the amount of the built-in MR so you know the actual cost of the "no MR" new house?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
You can definately have a mello-roos tax on a condo or townhome. It is the area you live in that dictates the tax rate. For example....Costa Mesa is an older area and with no mello-roos tax. Even new homes there do not have mello-roos tax because the infrastructure of the area already exists...ie schools, roads, shopping centers...etc. However, a brand new area such as Ladera Ranch or any of the new communities in Irvine off the 405 will definately have a mello-roos because they will need to build all that stuff.
Mello-Roos is dependent on the development, not the city or county.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookooroo View Post
Which setup is preferable: new home with "no MR" (pay now) or new home with MR (pay as you go) if you plan to live there for 5 years and then sell? Does no MR or MR make any difference to a future home buyer when you try to sell your house?

If you have 2 $800k new houses in the same area, one has MR and the other one is "no MR". Does it mean the "no MR" house should be of lesser quality due to the built-in MR? How do you figure out the amount of the built-in MR so you know the actual cost of the "no MR" new house?

Thanks!
It is much better to have the developer include the costs of the infrastructure in the price of the home.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Gotta love the 40-year mello-roos bonds. You pay for it, so others, who move there later on, can enjoy the community for free.
Brilliant!

Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Mello-Roos is dependent on the development, not the city or county.

So which areas of San Diego have no Mello-Roos or HOA fees? I'd like to avoid those!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
So which areas of San Diego have no Mello-Roos or HOA fees? I'd like to avoid those!
Mello-Roos fees are determined by the development and not area. It is a matter of whether the developer paid for it up front or not. If they did then there are no fees to the home owner. HOA fees are different.

The listings will usually state if there are no Mello-Roos as it is an important selling factor. It may list it as low tax which means no fees.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 9,401 times
Is there a website or some place you can go to research when the MR bond expires for a specific area/development?

Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum85 View Post
Is there a website or some place you can go to research when the MR bond expires for a specific area/development?
I don't know of such a site, so I would suggest you either check the website for your city of interest, or call their Department of Financial Services.

In the meantime, you can easily discover the current Mello-Roos tax for any property you may be considering, by entering the parcel number, or address, at the Orange County Tax Assessors website.
http://tax.ocgov.com/tcweb/search_page.asp

Examine the breakdown of taxes for the property.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,685,446 times
FWIW, or not, here is my 2c on Mello-Roos in OC; particularly as it relates to my city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Also, it's not as though the money goes up to either the state, or even county level, it stays in the community.

That said, it always pays to be watchful.
{Long example follows; possibly too much information}

About 11 years ago, two residents in a CA city (Mission Viejo) neighboring mine (Aliso Viejo) wanted some answers since they noticed that the schools in their city were deteriorating, while those in Aliso Viejo (same school and Mello-Moos district) were in great shape. They fought long and hard, and uncovered gross inequities.

Not only was Mission Viejo being shortchanged, but both Aliso Viejo and Mission Viejo were sending far more than their share to support the very large school district (Capistrano Unified) in which some cities actually have no Mello-Roos, but their school kids still reap benefits from these taxes.

For example, AV and MV taxpayers together recently paid $14.3 million dollars of the total $19.8 million dollar cost of a new school district headquarters; one serving multiple cities in the district. What's more, there was no end-date for the tax.

As a result, without admitting any "wrongdoing," ( no lawsuits, but some 'splainin was needed) but finally admitting that the situation was not equitable, the district has decided to retire Mello-Roos taxes in 2016. Depending upon the development, some Aliso Viejo homeowners actually pay as much as $7,000/year, others far less, and still some pay none.

Taxpayers in Aliso Viejo, Mission Viejo to Save up to $42 Mil - Schools - Aliso Viejo, CA Patch

Our individual neighborhoods, SFRs and townhouse/condo, are maintained by HOA fees. Again, residents benefit, not the state, although management styles vary according to the particular HOA, and people can opt out by not living here. BTW, many Aliso Viejo businesses also belong to, and run, their own HOAs.

Finally, there is also a city-wide HOA (low yearly fees) in our city, and it is mandated with maintaining our parks, trees and slopes. It also sponsors outdoor activities.

Again, we benefit, not the state.

Whew! That's a mouthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County