Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:24 AM

23 posts, read 61,753 times

Advertisements

I have heard so many things about OC and I am not sure what is true and what isn't. So many people have said that you need to make over 150/year to live comfortably. Is this true? Are there areas that are considered to be good areas that you can buy a home or rent for less than 3000/month? I have heard that Temecula,Ca is an up and coming area where the schools are great and cost of living is low. Are there any other areas even if they are not coastal and more inland that are considered nice?

Please respond with your opinions about areas that are considered safe with good schools in OC that have a relatively low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowPartyofsix View Post
So many people have said that you need to make over 150/year to live comfortably. Is this true? Are there areas that are considered to be good areas that you can buy a home or rent for less than 3000/month?
Why is a real estate agent who has access to innumerable real estate databases (some of which we as the general public don't have access to) and who also has on his fingertips all sorts of general "rules of thumb" for housing affordability as it relates to income, asking about affordability in a well documented location?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why is a real estate agent who has access to innumerable real estate databases (some of which we as the general public don't have access to) and who also has on his fingertips all sorts of general "rules of thumb" for housing affordability as it relates to income, asking about affordability in a well documented location?
Well you are obviously not here to help me. I would prefer to hear a fresh opinion about a particular area and there is only so much you can learn from websites. I am planning my first trip to OC in the next few weeks. Why are you aggravated with my question? You must have something against agents.

There ARE many databases available to CA residents who are Realtors which are not available to out of towners such as myself. Also, is this forum not meant for ALL who want to ask questions about a particular area? I mean really is this not what CITY-DATA is for?

I have four kids A**Hole! The last thing I'm gonna do is move them 1850 miles away without exhousting every avenue of information about a particular area.

Chew on that!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Why does a big shot real estate agent need to look for cheap housing in Temecula, which isn't anywhere near OC? Someone at the top of the business like you claim to be should be looking in Newport Beach. Do you call your clients A**HOLES?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
You can rent in Rossmoor for about 2300$/mo. Older ranch homes mostly, but best school district in the area

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowPartyofsix View Post
Well you are obviously not here to help me. I would prefer to hear a fresh opinion about a particular area and there is only so much you can learn from websites. I am planning my first trip to OC in the next few weeks. Why are you aggravated with my question? You must have something against agents.

There ARE many databases available to CA residents who are Realtors which are not available to out of towners such as myself. Also, is this forum not meant for ALL who want to ask questions about a particular area? I mean really is this not what CITY-DATA is for?

I have four kids A**Hole! The last thing I'm gonna do is move them 1850 miles away without exhousting every avenue of information about a particular area.

Chew on that!
wow, tell us how you really feel!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 93,362 times
HarlowPartyofsix, finding a rental for under $3,000 a month in Orange County is not a difficult task. In fact, the median price to rent ratio in Orange County is way off balance. For example, I was just looking at a rental down the street--approximately $600,000 home with 4 bed/3 bath for $2,700 a month. And that is in Laguna Hills/Aliso Viejo, which is a beautiful part of South Orange County (much safer/more family oriented/greener/etc. than North County!). If you are looking at something further inland (Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, etc.) there are plenty of 4 bedrooms in that price range. In terms of buying, real estate has not come down in OC nearly as much as it has in other areas of California, particularly Riverside County. I was just looking at properties in Lake Elsinore that sold for around $550K in 2006/2007 that are on the market for $200-$225K. Unbelievable and a great opportunity to own if you don't mind living a little further from the coast. mod cut: soliciting removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-05-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM

242 posts, read 433,175 times
I think it really comes down to whether you plan to own a home or rent. If you want to purchase, yes, you will need to make a considerable amount of money. However, it is certainly less expensive if you rent (but still not cheap). Good luck - OC is a very nice place.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM

Default big shot agent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why does a big shot real estate agent need to look for cheap housing in Temecula, which isn't anywhere near OC? Someone at the top of the business like you claim to be should be looking in Newport Beach. Do you call your clients A**HOLES?
The cost of living is very important to me...Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should buy it... Hence the CA housing crisis.

Temecula was just a thought...we read somewhere that it was a nice place to live and I'd thought I'd bring it up.

Originally Posted by Charles

He basically told me to take a flying leap and figure it out on my own. What a jerk!

People, even Realtors have feelings. When smart a*s people get on here and act like they are god it gets under my skin. He deserved the tongue lashing though it was a little on the mild side. I think he will live.

I am sure you have called someone a name for MUCH MUCH less in your time. Is this not the reason you commented as you did? To argue with a total stranger? Yes..I'm sure it is....

Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
You could get by on $150K a year for a family of 6 if you are very very frugal. Bring your cars and hope they last a long time. BUy food at farmers markets, Superior Market and/or Stater Bros. Skip the new release movies go to second run theaters or watch movies at home. Carry your lunch to work. Shop at Salvation army and St. Vincent D'Paul for clothing and furniture. Forget Air Conditioning. Go visit wealthier frineds on hot days.

It can be done. Not easily, but it is doable. Fining cheap housing in an area that you considerr safe and with good schools could be hard. However that is all relative. Safe compared to Miami or Detroit, includes all of Orange County. Irvine is "safer" than Newport beach by an figure that is meaningless. Frankly the crime rate difference in most OC locations is meaningless. What do you want ot compare to for "safe"?

Good schools and low prices is harder to find. First you must define good schools. Do you include values and morals, or only academics? Do you include competitiveness in sports, debate, music, or other things? Do you include diversity in defining a good school? What about the number of books in the library? As to academics whatdo you want to look at? Test scroes, graduation rates, drop out rates, college matriculation, number of AP clases, number of students passing AP exams, number of merit scholar finalists. All these and many more things can be used to make one school appear better than others. Some schools have an extremely elite elite while the rest of the students are pretty average. Other schools have a lot of really good students but few great ones. Asking people whether their school is good or not is almost pointless. What parent will say "Oh yes I have my kids in the crummiest school in the county. I wanted to chellenge them" Everyone thinks that their schools are good or great (unless they are just sour people, or unless you actually encounter one of the few honestly objective types.

Finally you need to figure out what is best for your kids. Irvine has one of the best school districts. Santa Ana has one of the worst. However the top high schools are in Irvine, Fullerton, Anaheim (or Cypress), and Santa Ana. You orobably need to make your selection based on specific schools any your kids skills and needs. Do you have girls who are into softball? Then Tustin is the place for you. Cross Country Runners? I think that mIssion Veijo is one of the better ones for that. Singing, acting, theater, art, or muscial instruments? OCHSA in Santa Ana. Thus, a school district that is best for one family, may be terrible for another family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County