Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:11 PM

17 posts, read 90,163 times

Advertisements

There seems to be quite a bit of talk about raising kids in Orange County, specifically south Orange County, and how the area is or is not good for raising kids. I am curious to hear everyone's opinion about this (good and bad) because my husband and I are thinking of moving back to south OC in a few years. I never thought of south Orange County to be a bad place to raise kids, but continually for the past few weeks I have read MANY posts discussing how this area isn't good for families. Why is this? Care to comment? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 14,709 times
I believe that its because some of the areas are quite populated w/ gangsters, so it all depends on the city you are plannin on living in

Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnba View Post
I believe that its because some of the areas are quite populated w/ gangsters, so it all depends on the city you are plannin on living in
Gangs in South Orange County? I don't think so; at least not compared to Los Angeles County - even LA gangs aren't a concern for 80% of people (or 98% of people who are computer literate enough to post on City-Data.)

The common concerns about South Orange County (from what I've read) are materialism and shallowness. This has been debated and there don't seem to be any conclusions (again, from what I've read on City-Data). Some people will write that these values are characteristic of OC; others will write that this these values are characteristic of that demographic which resides in OC.

The good points: good schools, good community activities, mostly good peers and parents, healthy environment and culture

The bad points: stress from economic situation affecting parents, stress from traffic affecting parents.

I'd feel comfortable raising my kids there.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,328 times
double post

Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Gangs in South Orange County? I don't think so; at least not compared to Los Angeles County - even LA gangs aren't a concern for 80% of people (or 98% of people who are computer literate enough to post on City-Data.)

The common concerns about South Orange County (from what I've read) are materialism and shallowness. This has been debated and there don't seem to be any conclusions (again, from what I've read on City-Data). Some people will write that these values are characteristic of OC; others will write that this these values are characteristic of that demographic which resides in OC.

The good points: good schools, good community activities, mostly good peers and parents, healthy environment and culture

The bad points: stress from economic situation affecting parents, stress from traffic affecting parents.

I'd feel comfortable raising my kids there.
There certainly are gangs in south county. There are articles about this in the paper frequently. Typically they are mentioned to be in parts of Mission Viejo, San Juan Cap, and San Clemente. They are not as prevelent as in Santa Ana but they do exist.

To the original question, the case for south county and raising kids is lots of parks and good schools.

The case against is it is generally a middle class area but there is extreme pressure to appear rich. Some would say this isn't a great environment to raise children in. This is compounded when it's quite easy to find a middle class area with good schools that doesn't have this pressure.

My opinion is I wouldn't seek out south county just because I have children but I wouldn't avoid it either. I personally would let commute time, need to be close to the beach, desire for walkability, and need for amenities other than cookie cutter shopping malls be more important drivers in the equation.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,020 times
I don't notice the materialism to be any worse than most of Orange County. This isn't some odd place like Newport Beach where people bring their little dogs in a designer outfit sitting in a Coach purse to the grocery store. Most people here are very happy being middle class, love it, breath it, and accept it. Mission Viejo is especially very middle class and well aware of it. Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita, and other areas are like this as well. The more coastal you get or the closer to Coto de Caza you get, the more you get plastic surgery women driving Cadillac Escalades with two screaming kids in the back seat that the women never talks to because she is on her Blackberry.

I would say most people aren't trying to act like millionaires on a $80k salary, but every once and a while you get that pathetic person who drives a Porshe, has $400 jeans, and then lives in the most run down apartment building in the city. These are not common IMO, at least not more than other areas of So Cal. There are snobs everywhere in the entire region. L.A., the coast, lots of hilly estate areas, etc.. have them.

Also, gangs are not an issue in Mission Viejo. Anyone who says so is just jealous of our very low crime rate and we have been named #1 for safety in the country several times. MV has seven acres on the southern border of the city included in a gang injunction designated for the city of San Juan Capistrano who MV shares a border with. SJC has gang injunctions for a gang that is Hispanic on Hispanic. MV has its southern border included simply to prevent any crime from entering MV. By having this, if any gang members try to enter at the restricted times, the police can stop them.
Mission Viejo labeled safest city in the nation | crime, city, study, mission, viejo - News - OCRegister.com

To see our low crime rate broken down, also check out city data's own ratings:
https://www.city-data.com/city/Missio...alifornia.html

Old 05-13-2009, 04:18 AM

11 posts, read 62,719 times
I am 19, and I grew up in the Bay Area (San Ramon) and I moved down here to South Orange County right after high school graduation when I was 18. As a teenager, I noticed that 90% of the people who I met through school (Saddleback College) and work (ice rink, co-workers are local high school kids) the materialism and shallowness stereotype is absolutely true. I lived in Ladera Ranch, and I absolutely hated every moment I spent there. There was such an arrogant vibe going around the community. If you didnt drive a BMW, you were not cool. I lived in Ladera for 9 months, and not once did I meet all my neighbors in the cul-de-sac. One of the neighbors directly next to us, I couldnt stand her or her husband. Typical fake OC people. All the little kids on the block were spoiled little brats. Where on the other hand, our direct neighbors on the other side of us were great, real friendly people. Materialistic and shallow are the two perfect words to describe the majority of my classmates at Saddleback. Of course I made friends in class (Im a friendly and outgoing person) but no one would offer to hang out outside of school. Living and functioning in daily life down in South OC I felt that everybody was "keeping up with the Joneses" and cliquey, no matter what the age was. Currently, I am living in Irvine. I find it much more down to earth compared to Southern OC, yet I still do not think this is the best place to raise kids. I am sure that you and your husband are great parents, and would raise your kids well, but I feel that your kids would easily fall under the materialistic and shallow stigma due to your kids friends and school environment. You may raise your kids to think otherwise, but everybody at school will act like typical OC kids because that is what they are. All in all, I personally would never raise a family in OC, or Southern California for that matter. Is it because I am a biased Northern Californian? Maybe. But I personally know and experienced what it is like living in a place with people with no depth, and I for one would never want my kids to be raised in this type of environment.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM

17 posts, read 90,163 times
My main concern is the materialism and superficial attitudes that seem to exist in several OC communities, although I keep hearing these attitudes are far more prevalent in south OC. We lived in Ladera for a few years and moved away for a job transfer. We had hoped to move back to Ladera some day, but my memories of the "keeping up with the joneses" behavior are starting to come back Then I read on this board often about this attitude and I think, "Is Ladera or south county really the right place for us?" My husband and I are VERY down to earth. We have no debt, buy only used cars, seldom buy expensive clothes, yada yada. We save our money, have no desire to flaunt what we do have, would rather raise our children with a focus on family and togetherness rather than a $2000 3rd birthday party. When I lived in Ladera we DEFINITELY knew people who spent far more than they earned, but we also met down to earth people who seemed to live within their means and didn't appear preoccupied with labels or appearances. Obviously we would do all we could at home to instill the values we think are important in our children, but their friends and peers are VERY influential (whether we like it or not). I worry the "outside mentality" will affect our kids in ways we don't like, but at the same time, we love south OC.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsearlylight View Post
We had hoped to move back to Ladera some day, but my memories of the "keeping up with the joneses" behavior are starting to come back T
Some people will contend that if you spend elsewhere on what would you spend in Ladera Ranch, then you will find there what is in Ladera Ranch.

My brother in law lives in New Albany, OH, an upscale subdivision of Columbus. Guess what? Same thing: competitive moms, shiny black SUVs, this 'n that augmentation, kids with new cars. Here in Huntsville, we see the same things in some parts of Hampton Cove and western Madison. I even saw this in the nice parts of Buffalo, NY.

You start laying out $500K+ for homes, it goes with the territory.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,176 times
Of course you see it in any upscale suburb across America, but the fact is, materialism and shallowness, are RAMPANT in SoCal and especially OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County