Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,022 times

Advertisements

So I might be getting a job in Irvine, within the general part of town where the Spectrum Center is. The job pay is low, $1840 a month gross not including any overtime.

I've looked around a bit, on these forums and elsewhere. It would be a very tight fit, but I think I could get a rented room for less than $800 a month and squeeze by. However I can't find information on other cost of living, like gas and groceries, restaurants, etc. How tough is it to live there?

Some additional things:
I own my vehicle fully, no car payment
single, no dependants, no pets
no outstanding debt
Don't want to live in the ghetto. From what I gather, stay away from Santa Ana and Garden Grove.
Hoping my daily commute isn't real far.

I'm really concerned that the pay will sink this plan to move. Any advice on the living cost is appreciated.
P.S. I would be moving from another state, and have no direct experience with Cali living.

Last edited by Adventure2009; 01-12-2009 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: added a P.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
1. Do nto rule out Santa Ana. Some parts are very nice, but still cheaper because of a nasty reputation maintained primarily by prejudice. The south coast metro area, the condo villiage across from Mainplace mall as well as several toehr areas are fairly nice. Also look in Orange for cheaper housing. If you live near old town, it will be a fun place to live.

2. Look in the paper and share an apartment or just rent a bedroom in somone's house.

3. Look at insurance rates before you change your car registration. If your home state is cheaper, wait as long as you can before chaning over.

4. Shop at Stater brothers for food and at Target or resale shops for clothing.

5. Do not eat out unless you are going somewhere with friends. Find friends who like to show off by paying for your meals.

6. Forget airconditioning. Buy a couple of good fans.

7. Do not use credit. That will only make things worse.

8. Eat lots of pasta.

9. Find inexpensive places to get a hari cut.

10. Bring a bicycle and ride instead of driving whenver you can.

11. If your job does not include health insurance, you might want to reconsider.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
I really wouldn't do it unless you have a roommate situation. Check out Craigslist for one. Where are you moving from? Why?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 9,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I really wouldn't do it unless you have a roommate situation. Check out Craigslist for one. Where are you moving from? Why?
Been looking at craigslist. I checked apartments first, and having one by myself is out of the question. I live in Texas, and apartments here are about 30% to 40% cheaper. It will have to be renting a room I think.

Moving for employment reasons. The alternative would be to stay here and keep looking for work, but that might not turn out well.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 AM

224 posts, read 956,960 times
The gross pay isn't a good number to go by? What will you be taking home every month?

Do you have any specific training or education that would cause you to move up the ladder fairly quickly?

Truthfully, that is not much money for you to try to 'exist' on in south OC.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
$1840 gross? $22k/ year? No way.

Unless you have a significant possibility of rapidly growing that income, I would say forget it. You will have to live like a hermit and/ or commute from way far away to make it work - and that's economically feasible only if gas stays in the $2/gal. range. Another possibility would be to take a second job.

What kind of job is this? Your pay works out to $11.50/ hour. Pretty low for all but starting or PT retail jobs for OC.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM

136 posts, read 463,435 times
ADVICE: Get a fiscally conservative girlfriend and split costs and a bed! What happens beyond that, well, please keep to yourself!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:09 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Supertight budget and socal don't mix. Don't put yourself in a situation where you could be rapidly underwater voluntarily. As a socal native, I was born into it, so I had no choice, but you do, and please don't.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post

What kind of job is this? Your pay works out to $11.50/ hour. Pretty low for all but starting or PT retail jobs for OC.
when I was doing clerical/office work, that was the typical midpoint for pay in my experience a few short years ago

Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure2009 View Post
Moving for employment reasons. The alternative would be to stay here and keep looking for work, but that might not turn out well.
I wouldn't make the move for that money. It's just about minimum wage. $1840/mo = $22,080/yr or $10.82/hr. Min. wage is $8/hr.

Just sayn'. I, too, am a CA native, my DH and I make just under $100K/yr and WE feel broke. We're relocating to CO this summer.

Do you have family in TX you could live with until you find a job? It'd be horrible to move out here (where I assume you have nobody) and lose your job. You could be homeless really quick in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County