Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM

302 posts, read 961,371 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move with my fiance from long island NY to Orange County. We are somewhat familiar with the area, she was raised in Laguna Niguel and came to NY at 15 and we have visited a few times since then. Besides house prices what other things should I take into account when comparing cost of living?

A little background on us: I am a financial analyst, about 2 years out of school, and she is an RN about 1.5 years out of school, so we make a decent living, but still not enough to own the kind of house we want in a good area. I figure salaries will be about the same in OC, property taxes are about 7 to 10k in a good neighborhood in NY, and her uncle pays $5500 in RSM, so im guessing thats the norm in OC. Correct me if im wrong but my perception of OC is that as long as I live south of Irvine, there really are no "bad" areas. We are looking to rent for a year or so and eventually buy when prices start to level out (need to be near 350k).

I know im all over the place here but any guidance would be appreciated. What else am I missing as far as cost of living differences???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
for one, gas prices in california are typically higher than the rest of the nation.

as far as south oc, there are areas of san juan capistrano that wouldnt be desireable i would say.. not everything is as pristine as the outside world may think

Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 AM

302 posts, read 961,371 times
Thanks, anyone else have any knowledge of the cost of living differences??

Old 12-15-2008, 03:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,619,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDtech123 View Post
Thanks, anyone else have any knowledge of the cost of living differences??

NY and SoCal is about the same. Its pricier in the south, as you probably already know. Only thing you get more for your monies, is that the same amount of rent in NY as you pay in CA, gives you far more floorspace in CA! And parking is generally not a huge problem as well.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,023 times
I would think your utility bills would be cheaper. Depending on how close to the coast you are, you can get away with little to no A/C in the summer and depending on how "warm" you like your house in the "winter" you may not need to use heat. I've also heard little things like movies are cheaper here than NYC. I believe a movie is around $11 now out here. Things like cigarettes are cheaper here too...so I've heard. I don't smoke but if you do that could save some $$$....

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
I agree with Akgirl, utilities in CA should be much lower than LINY if you open these things called windows after the sun goes down in summer and let the cool breeze in that comes along most of the time. Heat can also be kept to a minimum December to March by simply putting on a sweater indoors or letting the sun shine in the south facing windows.
Property values will be about as high in OC as many parts of LI, and rents will be similar (high). If you buy a home, property tax rates in CA are typically lower than NY. Property tax rates are generally a bit over 1 percent of assessed value in CA, whereas LINY can be much higher in some towns. Homes for sale under 350K south of Irvine would be pretty scarce, even now with prices much lower than 1 or 2 years ago. You can find condos and townhouses, but not much selection of single houses at that price, at least in Lake Forest where I live.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
The cost of living will be about the same. Houses will be higher if you want to be anywhere near the beach.
I would be taking a crash coarse in Spanish, especially your fiancé since all her patients will only speak Spanish.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Property taxes are 1% of purchase, unlike LI's extortionary tax assessments. Purchase prices will be a touch higher, however.

Schools are spotty and even many so-called "good schools" are not comparable to good LI schools... be careful if this matters to you. The schools here have serious challenges and only the wealthier areas can afford the amenities that you would take for granted in much of LI. Southern CA is not nearly as socioeconomically homogenous as most of LI is.

South OC is almost all nice but in general you will find that in older areas, homes might not be as well-kept as they would be in a similar area of LI (I think mostly due to the lack of weather-created maintenance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County