Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM

70 posts, read 216,504 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of trails on Google going from Aliso Viejo or South West Laguna Niguel to Laguna Beach/South Laguna Beach.

Is it possible to walk or hike fairly easily through those hills? Do the trails border private property?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Not sure exactly where, but I believe you are talking about the trails around Aliso Woods Canyon Regional Park. It is a beautiful area and a nice retreat. To get to Laguna Beach though it means some very steep hills that go fairly vertical to get up to the "Top of the World" area of Laguna Beach. It is very much a hike, not a walk. Bring good hiking shoes and lots of water if you take the trails through Aliso Woods Canyon.

Lots of trails like this through there:

This is going up the hill. You start from trails in the valley below:

Once you are up, the view is stunning:

From google earth there is a route that stays in the valley and passes a water treatment facility by the Aliso Creek Golf Course. While this looks like it goes through, there is actually chain link fences with barb wire at the top at the treatment plant that prevents you from going further going the road into Laguna Beach.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
That's my mountain bike territory, be warned like Missionhome said...that is a pretty steep hike to Top of the World (Low start of 75ft to Top point ~1200ft). There is another trail up to the top that is nothing but switchbacks and even longer. Either way you have to walk down Park Ave to the beach which is very long.

If you know how to Mountain Bike, and climb well you could bike it from Aliso (Canyon View Park) to the beach in probably 30 mins. But you would also have to climb Cholla or Mathias trail which are Black Diamond...climbs (Don't even try Rock it or Lynx). I think there is an easier route to the side of Cholla.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-26-2008 at 07:11 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 AM

Default What about farther south?

Also on the Google maps, it looks like you can walk/hike through from St. Tropez St. or La Conte St. in Laguna Niguel (SW) to South Laguna Beach (Alta Loma or Mar Vista Sts).

Any knowledge of the area there?

And thanks for the info!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM

224 posts, read 956,960 times
I run the Ridge Trail from Aliso Viejo to Top of The World and back 3-4 times a week.

It is about a five mile round trip, and the train is actually a nicely maintained dirt access road. There is about a 1,000 foot elevation gain, so running that trail is a rigorous run, and the hike takes you about and down some serious hillage.

It is a lovely safe area to hike, run, bike, and even walk dogs (please, keep them on a leash). There are many species of animals and birds that live in that area...deer, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions (possibly), rabbits, skunks, raccoons, owls, hawks, buzzards, crows, and in the spring..rattlesnakes.

Take water...it is very wide open, sunny, and hot when the sun is out.

Here's a link to a Aliso-Woods Canyon Regional Park http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...-wood-canyons/

Last edited by Dirk Bonner; 11-27-2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Not sure exactly where, but I believe you are talking about the trails around Aliso Woods Canyon Regional Park. It is a beautiful area and a nice retreat. To get to Laguna Beach though it means some very steep hills that go fairly vertical to get up to the "Top of the World" area of Laguna Beach. It is very much a hike, not a walk. Bring good hiking shoes and lots of water if you take the trails through Aliso Woods Canyon.

Lots of trails like this through there:

This is going up the hill. You start from trails in the valley below:

Once you are up, the view is stunning:

From google earth there is a route that stays in the valley and passes a water treatment facility by the Aliso Creek Golf Course. While this looks like it goes through, there is actually chain link fences with barb wire at the top at the treatment plant that prevents you from going further going the road into Laguna Beach.

I think the area I'm referring to is the Laguna Ridge Trail?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:40 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearLaker View Post
I think the area I'm referring to is the Laguna Ridge Trail?
Maybe, not sure about the trail name. I do know that St. Tropez and Le Conte in Laguna Niguel are in a guard gated neighborhood so I don't think you can just drive in and park on St. Tropez or Le Conte and walk down the trail (unless you live there, know someone in there, or sneak in).

Old 11-27-2008, 11:40 AM

51 posts, read 240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearLaker View Post
I see a lot of trails on Google going from Aliso Viejo or South West Laguna Niguel to Laguna Beach/South Laguna Beach.

Is it possible to walk or hike fairly easily through those hills? Do the trails border private property?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks!

Don't forget Crystal Cove State Park in Newport Beach. Nice vistas of the ocean and plenty of hiking and biking trails. Beware of the poison oak and the stage through.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:31 PM

224 posts, read 956,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianCalFullertonStudent View Post
Don't forget Crystal Cove State Park in Newport Beach. Nice vistas of the ocean and plenty of hiking and biking trails. Beware of the poison oak and the stage through.
The hikes on the East side of PCH tend to be long and tedious. In addition there is a several dollar parking charge.

Aliso-Woods Canyon and Whiting Ranch out around Portola offer some terrific and diverse hiking and other trail activities...lots of elevation gain, wildlife, and interesting topography.

If you are ambitious, you can hike the Harding Truck Trail up Mt's, Modjeska and Santiago...Saddleback Mountain. It too tends to be tedious, but it's about a 22 mile round trip hike with 6,000 feet of elevation gain...great winter time conditioning hike. I believe they have reopened the access after the 2007 fire destruction.

If you want some real terrific hiking, drive the 60 miles or so to any entry area into the San Gabriel Mountains...make sure you get a hiking book of the area and take plenty of water and a map of your planned hike with you.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Bonner View Post
The hikes on the East side of PCH tend to be long and tedious. In addition there is a several dollar parking charge.

Aliso-Woods Canyon and Whiting Ranch out around Portola offer some terrific and diverse hiking and other trail activities...lots of elevation gain, wildlife, and interesting topography.

If you are ambitious, you can hike the Harding Truck Trail up Mt's, Modjeska and Santiago...Saddleback Mountain. It too tends to be tedious, but it's about a 22 mile round trip hike with 6,000 feet of elevation gain...great winter time conditioning hike. I believe they have reopened the access after the 2007 fire destruction.

If you want some real terrific hiking, drive the 60 miles or so to any entry area into the San Gabriel Mountains...make sure you get a hiking book of the area and take plenty of water and a map of your planned hike with you.

Thank you all for your input! However, my purpose is really one of logistics.

I was wondering if it is possible to walk/hike/bike from Aliso Viejo or Laguna Niguel to the Laguna Beach/SouthLaguna Beach area simply as an alternative to driving the in the tedious weekend traffic on Crown Valley & PCH. The distance through the hills does not seem very far, but perhaps the terrain makes it too formidable for a weekend jaunt with the dog to Laguna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County