Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,511 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently bought a house, and we are looking for good deals on furniture, household items, etc to furnish the house. We recently discovered a few store closings (La Z Boy on St. College, OSH on Brookhurst) that we bought some things from. I was wondering if anyone can share what other store closings are going on right now for us to check out. I'm also new to this forum, and was wondering if there's already such a thread for maintaining a list of store closings in OC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,174,555 times
I don't know of a thread like that, but you may be onto something here.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,871,575 times
You could also google maps outlet stores?
IKEA?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,707,803 times
Unless you are in a real hurry, why not goggle "North Carolina Furniture Outlets" and get name brand quality furniture (for example, Lexington, Drexel Heritage, Lane, Broyhill, etc.) at a deep discount through bypassing the retailer?

Some sites are currently offering free shipping with delivery promised in 2-3 weeks. I have done this and been more than satisfied with the construction.

Just an aside, if you are also in the market for new window treatments for your brand new home, pay someone to measure your windows. Then, using these measurements, buy your blinds, shutters, or whatever, directly from the manufacturer and pay someone to install them once they arrive. The savings can be tremendous.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM

1,499 posts, read 891,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnong View Post
My wife and I recently bought a house, and we are looking for good deals on furniture, household items, etc to furnish the house. We recently discovered a few store closings (La Z Boy on St. College, OSH on Brookhurst) that we bought some things from. I was wondering if anyone can share what other store closings are going on right now for us to check out. I'm also new to this forum, and was wondering if there's already such a thread for maintaining a list of store closings in OC?

Others will post their great ideas...but my favorite chain for "things" is Home Goods..they have everything you might need..exclusive of maybe complete furniture sets..but just about everything else..their inventory changes all the time..

Best things to find there...all sorts of linens...kitchenware..decorative stuff ...I could go on and on..it is a subdivision of TJMaxx..there is a great location in the Tustin area..off Jamboree and Barranca..which has both stores under one roof...TJ is great for clothes shoes purses etc...all way below retail!!

The HomeGoods also way below retail..most is brand name...you gotta check it out to see what you can find there...

As for window coverings if that is an issue...we use HomeDepot...hubby can install most anything..but for a smallish fee they will come out and measure and then install..they also have brand names as well as their own lines...

We get appliances at Sears as hubby is a Sears nut....all brand names and their delivery etc is good..beats shopping here and there..Sears also has a "dent" place on Ediniger in Tustin...brand new stuff with a dent or scratch that gives you a great discount..same warranty etc as new ...

Best Buy for TVs..they always have "open box" deals..brand new stuff that has been returned..great deals..we don't use them for computers or computer repair as they can be dicey there..luckily we have a "guru" we have known for 25 years who does buyouts..both brand new and refurbished..he comes to the house and fixes installs anything and is sooooo depandable..He has many times walked me thru computer issues on the phone to save me a visit..esp when I am at our desert home!! Let me know ..off list..if you would like his info...

Major stores do indeed have sales and closeouts..but hard to find unless you can wait..I would not buy IKEA except for college rooms and first apts...

Costco carries a lot of furniture now..we got our last mattresses there..our son gets all kinds of furniture there..esp for kids rooms..leather couches..TVS and computers etc...luckily we have a big truck..but for a fee they do deliver

Custom drapes and upsolutery (sp) I have a great guy in Santa Ana..does marvelous quality work..has all kinds of fabrics he can order..or shop Calico Corners for sales and close outs..they also do great work..but are NOT cheap..

hmmm...any other ?? ....let me know

I can also tell you what NOT to buy and where..have learned the hard way!

good luck

Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,922,091 times
This would be a great opportunity for someone who wanted to build a website. I don't think there is a single place where you can find all closeout sales in a certain area.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 PM

18 posts, read 29,088 times
You could also try the craigslist free section but you have to check it often and be willing to get the item ASAP, also have to transport it. I've gotten all sorts of stuff completely for free. Mini fridge, couches, chairs, tables, book cases, wood pallets (firewood), a brand new toilet (they gave it away because it wasn't low flow version), and a bunch of other stuff. There's over 100 postings just today.

Most people are just happy to get rid of the stuff because they are moving and it is a hassle to bring a bunch of bulk furniture with you, so they give it away for free.

I've also given away a bunch of old crap on there too (books, VHS tapes, old steel scrap etc.)

works like a charm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County