Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 AM

224 posts, read 958,184 times

Advertisements

Not much....getting out of LA after any event is discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:10 PM

1,499 posts, read 890,719 times
rarely....l\only if Neil Diamond is at Staples Center

Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,239,067 times
The Silent Movie Theatre is still in business, yes. So is Canter's just down the street, Farmer's Market, et al.

As far as 'landmarks' go, I miss Belisle's Restaurant in Garden Grove. I miss my hometown downtown Costa Mesa, which has been obliterated to look like every other landing strip for crappy chains and awful food.

O.C. History Roundup: Belisle's Restaurant, Garden Grove (1955-1995)

Just not what it once was. So I moved to Los Angeles (Mount Washington, to be precise) and am very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
As the years went on I ventured to LA county less and less. It's not what it once was.

The tourist spots are so overcrowded it's not worth the visit let alone some of the 2 legged animals that inhabit places like "The Walk of Fame."

Many of the old great landmarks are gone.

I shoot in compitition, many of the trap and skeet clubs are gone.

Is the silient movie theater still in business?

Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,239,067 times
I avoid driving into OC, preferring to take the train. The freeways down there are what, 25 lanes wide near Disneyland, and they STILL get bottled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venicebeachcalifornia View Post
I don't normally visit LA County for leisure unless I have to and prefer to keep my activities inside OC. The roads are a mess up there. Take the I-5 for example. The part in LA County is so narrow and bumpy. You can easily hit the concrete median barrier on the carpool lane if you are not careful. Once you've gone past the "Welcome to OC" sign, the road instantly widens up and everything feels more "proper" here.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM

193 posts, read 310,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
As far as 'landmarks' go, I miss Belisle's Restaurant in Garden Grove. I miss my hometown downtown Costa Mesa, which has been obliterated to look like every other landing strip for crappy chains and awful food.
I liked draging my wife there for breakfast, she is not a morning person until she smells the coffee and the food. I used to buy a couple of the giant cinnimon rolls for the week days.

They tore down the building... then put in an Outhouse Steak Back. (Pardon my dyslexia.) If I wanted to go to one of those there were already enough them.

Knollwoods(On Imperial Hwy.) lost its charm when they rebuilt it...

Wimpy's in Huntington Beach... Yeah I know it bad for the health, but it was darn good when the urge struck.

TOGO's... All we have here is Subway... Hey, I am a man, man needs sandwiches. Make it a good one.

The Grinder in Huntington Beach, That was great any time of day. Too bad it's gone.

I will say this, the local Taco place here... "Taco Mayo" is far better than Taco Bell. Like LaSalsa but much quicker on getting the orders out.

We don't have See's Candy, LaVictoria Salsa or Toro Bravo corn chips either... I get care packages of those. Toro Bravo Salsa does not mail well, it's fresh, not bottled...

If you have some years on you then you may remember Archie's Bar-B-Que in Long Beach, Uncle Bud's Cafe or Sam's Steak Sandwich in Bellflower. These were mom and pop places that had great food.

Remember this?
Attached Thumbnails
How often do you visit LA County for leisure?-catcirc004.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County