Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 AM

88 posts, read 296,768 times

Advertisements

As a South County resident I don't really have any feelings towards North County or the people in it, I like it better down here but I don't trash it up there and I don't dislike people from North County....

However, I have noticed with my North County friends, they treat us "South County People" as aliens or something and they seem to never have enough negative things to say about this place.

What's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:52 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,490,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggyy View Post
As a South County resident I don't really have any feelings towards North County or the people in it, I like it better down here but I don't trash it up there and I don't dislike people from North County....

However, I have noticed with my North County friends, they treat us "South County People" as aliens or something and they seem to never have enough negative things to say about this place.

What's the deal?
It really depends......

I used to have a "South County bug" up my butt at one time (being raised a North County person myself) but that notion was dispelled one day in Ladera Ranch.....that's another story.

For some people, Irvine is the archetype "South County City" (though geographicaly it's right in the middle of the county) and anything there and points south is all the same to them (the typical plaint of "sterile, Stepford, boring", etc., especially in the commercial areas). But the coastal cities down south are a world unto themselves. No reason to trash people, though. (And there is lots of natural beauty in the South County).

There are people in South County who are convinced that there is no human life north of Irvine, either; that they will be drawn and quartered the moment they drive or step into Santa Ana (which they probably have done a number of times without even realizing it). So it works both ways, actually, though you do not yourself seem to hold that view of north and central county.

Some people, of course, may secretly want to live in Coto or Lake Forest or Mission Viejo but not be able to do it and therefore what they cannot have they ruin for other people.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,172,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggyy View Post

What's the deal?
Watch one episode of real housewives. There is your answer.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,490,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
It's a poor idea to bash a geographic region based on a TV show featuring six families that are NOT the norm for the area.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,173,209 times
Aren't most of the "real" housewives from the beach cities anyway?

I'm a fan of both North County and South County and could happily live in either.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:49 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
There is a certain South County insular frame of mind that you don't really notice until you leave the area for another. Two examples:

• My niece is 33 and is born/raised in South OC. Yesterday I used the following example to help her reset her reality as to where she's now living, which is employment-scarce rural Colorado: "Look at the bright side, you could be living in a crappy little apartment in Stanton with a couple of squalling brats." Her response: "Where's Stanton?"

• I often get the following response from South County residents when I'm down there for a family gathering or random party: "So, are you going to drive all the way back to Fontana tonight, or will you be spending the night and getting an early start in the morning?" They give me an uncomprehending stare when I tell them it's not exactly a covered wagon trip across Death Valley in August, and by the time I head back tonight I'll be pulling into my driveway in 50 minutes or less.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,340,906 times
Why do Red Sox fans and Yankees fans hate each other? What about self professed Liberals versus conservatives? Owners of Fords and Chevys? High schools on opposite sides of town? Etc, ad nauseum.

It's simply basic human nature tribalism "us versus them" mentality.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,700,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Aren't most of the "real" housewives from the beach cities anyway?

I'm a fan of both North County and South County and could happily live in either.
I don't know, but for some reason I thought they were (originally?) mostly from Coto. Real Housewives fans will set us straight.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,034,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Why do Red Sox fans and Yankees fans hate each other?
I know this one!
Because they're all a-holes.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,826,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Uneducated, misinformed. Please disregard the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County