Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:21 AM

430 posts, read 1,650,472 times

Advertisements

Compare and Contrast Pro's and Con's of each.

Last edited by mt971x; 07-20-2011 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM

394 posts, read 966,723 times
Sounds like an exercise an English teacher might administer...

OK, Let's each do ONE positive and ONE negative of ONE city. I am sure that it will all balance out in the long run. I'll go first...

LAGUNA BEACH
Positive: Fabulous scenery with a diverse and mostly affluent population base. Very few "posers".
Negative: The only ways into or out of the city are PCH and Laguna Canyon Road and both can be dreadful.

Next up, Newport...

Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Laguna burns and floods.

Newport Beach not so much.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 AM

12 posts, read 32,685 times
Laguna Beach: with a decent amount of money, you can actually buy an ocean view. Hard to get around socially without a ton of driving.

Newport Beach: highly expensive real estate. Prestige. Need lots of dough to actually see some blue. Overall, a more vibrant community. Think OC housewives (good and bad).

Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I dont do the beach very much but have been to assorted ones in my life out here. Cant really compare but Baloba is nice, they have that ferry. We did go to Newport earlier this week and it was good.
Attached Thumbnails
Newport Beach Vs. Laguna Beach-034.jpg  

Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Newport: Top down on your Ferrari.
Laguna: Top down and doors off your Jeep.

Laguna has more liberals and rich ex-hippies. That's a pro in my book.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 PM

72 posts, read 434,242 times
I don't know if this sounds like paranoia or not, but if you lived in Newport Beach near the ocean, aren't you concerned about a Tsunami (since Newport is at sea level)? I would feel a little better living on a tall oceanfront bluff in Laguna.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:49 PM

283 posts, read 625,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbynorthwest View Post
Laguna Beach: with a decent amount of money, you can actually buy an ocean view. Hard to get around socially without a ton of driving.

Newport Beach: highly expensive real estate. Prestige. Need lots of dough to actually see some blue. Overall, a more vibrant community. Think OC housewives (good and bad).
Laguna is much more walkable than Newport Beach and has a true downtown....
Both are pretty much equally priced with Laguna costing more $/sf than Newport. Newport Coast has really reduced housing values in Newport Beach down.

At the end of they day you will get much more bang for the buck in Newport than Laguna, in Laguna you will get a 1950-60's fixer upper, where as you can get an updated home in Newport for the same price if not cheaper. Then again most of Newport Coast looks like Irvine, not really much of a difference except the more "prestigious" zip code. Care to share some comparisons showing that Newport Beach is "highly expensive" compared to Laguna Beach being "decently expensive" ? just curious is all..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
Laguna is much more walkable than Newport Beach and has a true downtown....
Both are pretty much equally priced with Laguna costing more $/sf than Newport. Newport Coast has really reduced housing values in Newport Beach down.

At the end of they day you will get much more bang for the buck in Newport than Laguna, in Laguna you will get a 1950-60's fixer upper, where as you can get an updated home in Newport for the same price if not cheaper. Then again most of Newport Coast looks like Irvine, not really much of a difference except the more "prestigious" zip code. Care to share some comparisons showing that Newport Beach is "highly expensive" compared to Laguna Beach being "decently expensive" ? just curious is all..
This is spot on..Laguna Beach is actually substantially more expensive than most of Newport Beach save a few neighborhoods west of PCH in Corona Del Mar. Newport Beach generally has higher dollar numbers because of the increased lot sizes and larger volume housing stock.

Some of the most expensive psf. in Southern California are located near Crystal Cove/North West Laguna..There seems to be a wide spread misconception that Newport is the more expensive location. You can find small one bedrooms and studios in Versailes and Villa Balboa for 290-350k. The same square footage with functionally obsolete features in Laguna would be closer to 400-600k.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 13,882 times
i live in lake forest, south of newport beach and north of laguna beach and i will tell all that my choice is laguna beach, it's more affluent and the real estate is about equal but laguna has more to offer as far as tourism is concerned though i don't take anything away from fashion island in newport beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County