Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM

590 posts, read 1,250,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Living Spaces is junk. If you don't need quality furniture or stuff that holds up go there. IKEA is junk. Even Macy's furniture has gone down in quality. Basset, Ethan Allen, etc. are expensive but they sell quality. Basset is a great place with good solection and very good quality.

keep in mind that the "good" places like Ethan Allen have a LONGGGG lead time..we ordered furniture from them..and it took nearly 2 months to arrive..but it is very nice stuff

as for mattresses and bed frames..we always buy from Ortho..you have all ranges of prices..but they have been in business for a long time..and give excellent service..Ortho can usually deliver the next day!!..my suggestion..don't buy a super cheap mattress unless you are prepared to give or throw it away in a year or so..but you also don't need a 3k mattress to sleep well...Ortho has queen sets around 700 bucks that are very comfortable,,pillow top etc..Also Costco has mattresses in stock..they are good brand names ...

good luck

I also would avoid Ikea..except maybe for very young kid stuff..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 16,718 times
Check out First-Class Furnishings in Laguna Hills. Very good prices, and friendly, competent service.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM

9 posts, read 11,442 times
There's that furniture mall in Fountain Valley, of Euclid & the 405 that seems to have a lot of furniture stores. I've gone to the Wickes when it was there (now occupied by TPT) Easy Life is there also...Most of my friends swear by Living Spaces....

Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Living Spaces is junk. If you don't need quality furniture or stuff that holds up go there. IKEA is junk. Even Macy's furniture has gone down in quality. Basset, Ethan Allen, etc. are expensive but they sell quality. Basset is a great place with good solection and very good quality.

I did forget one chain..two stores actually...Mathis Brothers..only two locations..one in Ontario off the 10 and the other in the Cochella Valley/Indio...

huge well stocked store..multiple price points..and best...MOST of their stuff is IN STOCK in the adjoining warehouse..we have a full size truck,,but they also deliver for the usual fees...I am currently in the desert area and see their trucks almost daily..

as I said..they have all kinds of name brands,,high quality furniture..plus middle and low end (all better than say Ikea,,or Living Spaces)..many sofas are in stock in a low of designs and fabrics..others do have to be ordered...their delivery time is less than a month..

also all kinds of accessories..lamps linens etc etc...very cool place...and worth a drive from OC to Ontario..they may also have a web addy

good luck

Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,738 times
Where can you go to find real, hand made furniture, the kind you see made on the PBS show New Yankee Workshop?

Something that's made out of real wood, not pressed fiber board.

Yes, it will be expensive, but I'm tired of throwing out computer desks every time I move. I want something that is built to last generations.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 AM

257 posts, read 946,766 times
I agree with Bassett. We bought a sofa set from there, and it is the best quality set we have EVER owned.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Where can you go to find real, hand made furniture, the kind you see made on the PBS show New Yankee Workshop?

Something that's made out of real wood, not pressed fiber board.

Yes, it will be expensive, but I'm tired of throwing out computer desks every time I move. I want something that is built to last generations.

good luck with that...tho as someone has mentioned..buying direct from the NC American manufacturers does get you higher quality stuff...

but by the time you pay shipping and wait 6 months..well...shop well and you can find stuff locally..

be prepared that GOOD solid wood dining room sets can easily cost 10 K...

check out the Mathis Bros website..

funny that you mentioned computer furniture..a few years ago we decided to custom furnish our office..we shopped around..finally bought at Wall Units Inc...we ended up with a 10 foot or so piece that fit into the corner..two knee holes..multiple drawers and pull outs for printers and fax..they custom design and re design until you find what fits your space...unfortunately it is attached into the wall..probably can be moved(in about 3-4 foot sections)..including trim, installation ,,delivery etc..we spent about 5 K for it...(and we bought the hardware)...I think if and when we sell this house..this piece has to stay..I also wanted to buy matching floor to ceiling bookcases..decided not to invest another 5 K)...but I love the stuff..and got excellent service etc from Wall Units..think the lead time was about 3 months..

good luck

Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
good luck with that...tho as someone has mentioned..buying direct from the NC American manufacturers does get you higher quality stuff...

but by the time you pay shipping and wait 6 months..well...shop well and you can find stuff locally..

be prepared that GOOD solid wood dining room sets can easily cost 10 K...

check out the Mathis Bros website..

funny that you mentioned computer furniture..a few years ago we decided to custom furnish our office..we shopped around..finally bought at Wall Units Inc...we ended up with a 10 foot or so piece that fit into the corner..two knee holes..multiple drawers and pull outs for printers and fax..they custom design and re design until you find what fits your space...unfortunately it is attached into the wall..probably can be moved(in about 3-4 foot sections)..including trim, installation ,,delivery etc..we spent about 5 K for it...(and we bought the hardware)...I think if and when we sell this house..this piece has to stay..I also wanted to buy matching floor to ceiling bookcases..decided not to invest another 5 K)...but I love the stuff..and got excellent service etc from Wall Units..think the lead time was about 3 months..

good luck
btw..that was 10 feet in each direction!!...so over 20 feet of desk top..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County