Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 15,377 times

Advertisements

It's looking very likely I will be offered a very awesome job in Santa Ana. For me, the job is too good to pass up. I'd take it if it were in Detroit.

Unfortunately, it means moving from what I consider a perfect neighborhood, Rockridge in Oakland. My wife and I love being near shops and restaurants and close to urban areas. We are politically very liberal.

So where should we move? We'd be looking to rent a two bedroom for 1800 or so. My wife's sister lives in San Clemente now, and it would be nice to be near her, but how bad would that commute be? Is the Metrolink a good option from there?

Should I say forget Orange County and look at Long Beach?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,020,670 times
Santa Ana to San Clemente is doable but also a bit of a hike. There are plenty of Nice suburban communites such as Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niquel, Irvine in between. Night life is OK. Good shopping, but lots of Franchise eateries and not a lot of mom and pop restuarants.

I would also check Old Town Orange, Downtown Huntington Beach, the South Coast Metro Area.

All depends on how far you want to commute and what kind of lifestyle do you like

Old 12-09-2010, 01:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,513,117 times
Common problem, no real solution.

OC is neither liberal nor urban. If you love Rockridge and being close to everything in the Bay, including of course a quick trip into San Francisco. Then you will most likely have a hard time in OC (I did).

You probably just need to come to grips with the change if you want the job. Long Beach is an option, but imo that's a lot of traffic to battle each day. You may also check out Fullerton or Orange for that "crunchy" urban feel...but these are equivalent to a San Mateo or Redwood City in that they are small, probably even smaller downtown.

Is the lifestyle change worth the job? It's hard to find a pulse in OC...

Old 12-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Well darn. I'm pretty much resigned to accepting a significant lifestyle change. I just want to make the best of it. Why doesn't anybody mention the Metrolink? Is it not a viable commuting option for some reason? I've noticed it does go from San Clemente to Santa Ana, for example. Right now I either drive or take Bart into SF on a daily basis, and even though we're close it still takes 45 min door-to-door, yet it doesn't really bother me. I'm kind of happy to listen to NPR or read for a little while in the morning before I start my day and a little while in the evening before I get home. Then again, I've only been doing it for less than a year. Point is, if I could spend my commute on a train I wouldn't mind 45 minutes.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,978,115 times
You mentioned that you and the wife are politically very liberal because ...?

Must have heard ugly rumors about the OC

Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,474,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
You mentioned that you and the wife are politically very liberal because ...?
They announce it to everyone they meet because they think it makes them special and superior. "Hi, I'm politically liberal, drive a Prius (when I drive at all), and own nothing but apple products." See?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM

I think politics can matter.

I doubt EscapeCalifornia would enjoy my neighborhood, for example. There's literally at least 10 priuses on the block and it's not hard to find that "special and superior" vibe, which even some liberals recognize and dislike. Probably a lot of apple products too, if they rub you wrong way.

People don't choose political beliefs at random. They reflect their values. So they matter. This seems like a ridiculous forum for a political debate, and I didn't mean to spark one. But it seems like a perfectly appropriate place to ask people who know what neighborhoods are like, political demographics included. That's all.

So seriously, anyone have any word on the Metrolink?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmandavis View Post
It's looking very likely I will be offered a very awesome job in Santa Ana. For me, the job is too good to pass up. I'd take it if it were in Detroit.

Unfortunately, it means moving from what I consider a perfect neighborhood, Rockridge in Oakland. My wife and I love being near shops and restaurants and close to urban areas. We are politically very liberal.

So where should we move? We'd be looking to rent a two bedroom for 1800 or so. My wife's sister lives in San Clemente now, and it would be nice to be near her, but how bad would that commute be? Is the Metrolink a good option from there?

Should I say forget Orange County and look at Long Beach?

Thanks!
Dream job, for heaven's sake grab it, in this economy it might not happen again for a long, long time.
you can find some OC areas that are not totally conservative. I don't think the areas near Santa Ana are as conservative as some of OC.

Last edited by nmnita; 12-09-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 02:50 PM

624 posts, read 1,248,412 times
Why don't you ask your relatives in San Clemente?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,513,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmandavis View Post
So seriously, anyone have any word on the Metrolink?
People don't talk about Metrolink unless they live right near a station it seems. I used it to get into Fullerton a few times and it seemed fine. OC is very car centric, so it is hard to find people that use it. Your best bet is to either use it and find out, or call them for information. BART, Muni, and CalTrain are very well known in the BayArea by the general population, it's just not the same in OC with Metrolink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County