Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM

239 posts, read 674,700 times

Advertisements

Is there a decent area to live in somewhere between la and orange county where i can have a manageable commute to a job in either county? That is, where can i live where i could be within a 60 minute drive one way to work to downtown la and irvine? I'm not saying all the jobs are in downtown la, but last i looked into jobs out there, most of my prospects were located there.

Just looking at the map, it looks like la mirada could be a candidate. Is this area generally safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,474,389 times
Yeah something like that would be your best bet between downtown LA and Irvine. Its a decent area. But LA and OC are huge with jobs from end to end.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,172,658 times
La Mirada could work, but I would personally choose Fullerton since it's a little further south and that southbound commute can be brutal.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,822,244 times
Cypress, Los Alamitos on the southern side

Walnut, Diamond Bar, Rowland Heights on the eastern side

Cerritos or Fullerton but those are closer to Irvine.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 44,558 times
Do you have kids? If the answer is no, I would HIGHLY recommend Long Beach. I lived in Long Beach when I was single, before I had kids, and I loved it! So much to do, great location to commute to LA and OC. Now I live in West Garden Grove with my young family - my husband commutes to LA, and I commute to Irvine. I would reccomend WEST Garden Grove if you have kids in school - central to both LA and OC, affordable if you are looking to purchase your home, and good schools.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM

239 posts, read 674,700 times
yes, i do have an infant. the kid will be 1 1/2 by the time i'm out there. looking to rent the first year until our job situations get sorted out and take our time searching for the right home to buy. but thanks...will consider w. garden grove to rent. ideally though, when it's time to buy i want to be in one of the viejos..maybe even yorba linda or anaheim hills for the views and the demographic make-up. but that will mean both of our jobs will have to be close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinadb View Post
Do you have kids? If the answer is no, I would HIGHLY recommend Long Beach. I lived in Long Beach when I was single, before I had kids, and I loved it! So much to do, great location to commute to LA and OC. Now I live in West Garden Grove with my young family - my husband commutes to LA, and I commute to Irvine. I would reccomend WEST Garden Grove if you have kids in school - central to both LA and OC, affordable if you are looking to purchase your home, and good schools.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,617,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinadb View Post
Do you have kids? If the answer is no, I would HIGHLY recommend Long Beach.
I wouldn't. It's central on a map, but the 405 is a dead stop during both the AM and PM commutes between the 22 and SNA. It's a solid 60 minute bumper-to-bumper crawl. Add in off-highway time and you're closer to 75 minutes door to door.

Nothing wrong with LB itself, it's a good recommendation, but commuting down into OC from LB is not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County