Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,633,426 times

Advertisements

So what do you expect the new leadership to do? What about his plans was so gripping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,919,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
i voted for suttle cause we we need new leadership in omaha
How come NOBODY who voted for Suttle can give particular reasons pertaining to Suttle himself, as to why they voted for him.

All I hear is "new leadership" which I think is bogus and very subjective in the first place.

And, "Anyone but Daub". So, we should avoid the man who gave Omaha the proverbial jumpstart it needed for the previous 30 years?

Daub may have been abrasive, but he made people excited about Omaha again. People are finally able to be proud to say they are from Omaha and I highly doubt that would have been the case without him.

You may dislike Daub, but Suttle has nothing but average to offer you.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM

7,970 posts, read 26,795,031 times
Quote:
i voted for suttle cause we we need new leadership in Omaha.
So a Democrat replacing a Democrat is new leadership?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
BTW, with the OPS Board of Education elections next year

Omaha Public Schools - Board of Education - Contact Information
Penny Sophir
Mona McGregor
Mark Martinez
Nancy Sophir
Bambi Bartek
Shirley Tyree

will be replaced cause OPS is a joke to a large extent

...and replaced with people who can fix OPS school system.
I'm sorry, but you're very wrong about that. I have a daughter, who is an honors student and soon-to-be graduate of North High. Compare the results at that high school to any similar-sized high school in the nation, and you're going to have to re-think your bias against OPS.

Then you take into account that a lot of the students at Omaha North come from very poor families, whereas most of the students in the Millard Schools come from families of privilege, and you see that OPS is even more remarkable. The difference is that the Millard Schools have enough money floating around to keep the media quiet about the major drug and alcohol busts that take place there on a regular basis.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
So what do you expect the new leadership to do? What about his plans was so gripping?
I had an early-morning staff leadership meeting today. Nobody on the team can figure out what Suttle has to offer. They don't dislike him, but they can't put a finger on anything he's going to do except "listen to everybody."

One guy simply refers to him as a "wuss".

So I don't know. I'm curious to see what the Suttle backers think he has to offer the city.

*For the record, I didn't vote. I honestly did not feel that I had a good enough finger on the pulse of either candidate to make an informed choice. So I abstained.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM

171 posts, read 551,845 times
Quote:
Well you can attribute most of those things to 1 leader we've had in those 16 years. Hell, we've only had 2 and the 2nd one just kept the momentum of the originator going, mostly.
I am not here do debate who did what, that’s old news. I am not here to brag or complain about who won or lost an election, win or loose you need take things in stride and move forward. Sitting on these forums complaining about a loss isn't going to fix anything now, the election is over. The best thing anyone can do is get a hold of Suttle's email and let him know what you expect from him as mayor and hold him accountable.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,683,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_in_omaha View Post
I am not here do debate who did what, that’s old news. I am not here to brag or complain about who won or lost an election, win or loose you need take things in stride and move forward. Sitting on these forums complaining about a loss isn't going to fix anything now, the election is over. The best thing anyone can do is get a hold of Suttle's email and let him know what you expect from him as mayor and hold him accountable.
I don't see anyone crying that their guy lost. I just see people wondering why Suttle won. Big difference.

Really though, aside from getting the gang taskforce back together (very much needed now that the nicer weather is here and the gang violence will start to escalate) what was platform? Other then not being Daub, what do you as a Suttle supporter think he will accomplish?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,581,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm sorry, but you're very wrong about that. I have a daughter, who is an honors student and soon-to-be graduate of North High. Compare the results at that high school to any similar-sized high school in the nation, and you're going to have to re-think your bias against OPS.

Then you take into account that a lot of the students at Omaha North come from very poor families, whereas most of the students in the Millard Schools come from families of privilege, and you see that OPS is even more remarkable. The difference is that the Millard Schools have enough money floating around to keep the media quiet about the major drug and alcohol busts that take place there on a regular basis.

I am a 1998 grad of Omaha North, and have much love for Omaha North High

and while I admit OPS has a lot of good things,

some of its problems like trauncy and high dropout rates havent been addressed.

that is what I meant by OPS is a joke to a extent.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,581,257 times
Quote:

what about daub's plans that he had. why dont we talk about them

or is it because Daub is a republican

that some people voted for him

Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I am a 1998 grad of Omaha North, and have much love for Omaha North High

and while I admit OPS has a lot of good things,

some of its problems like trauncy and high dropout rates havent been addressed.

that is what I meant by OPS is a joke to a extent.
Thanks for the clarification. Seriously...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: