Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 03:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Surf, you throw around the bigot word every other sentence it seems. I could easily say you fit the definition of a bigot much more than anyone in the Omaha threads.

Your militant attitude coupled with your uncompromising ways fits the definition almost verbatim.
He is filled with so much hate, it is unbelievable and sad I may add. Some on here can state their cause, I may or may not agree but they can be reasonable, he is, as you put it, the bigot. We have all seen them before and will again I am sure.

Nothing will convince him that he is his own worst enemy.

Nita

Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,902,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
He is filled with so much hate, it is unbelievable and sad I may add. Some on here can state their cause, I may or may not agree but they can be reasonable, he is, as you put it, the bigot. We have all seen them before and will again I am sure.

Nothing will convince him that he is his own worst enemy.

Nita
Yep, he just always seems pissed off about something. That would be a rough way to go through life.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,223,991 times
Quote:
Yep, he just always seems pissed off about something. That would be a rough way to go through life.
That's kind of what I'm thinking.

There are several people on this forum who seem to go out looking for problems, and if they can't see any, they make them. They're aggressive and "in your face" about everything, then scream BIGOT! anytime somebody disagrees.

You're right. That has to be a rough way to go through life.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,512,164 times
And a great way to deal with them is to support legal protections for gay people in Nebraska so they won't have anything to complain about, and you can go to sleep at night with the knowledge that these pesky militants won't be in your face anymore. Regarding gay rights, the train has already left the station. A new administration and Congress are coming to power in D.C. that will work toward ending discrimination on a national level, and they'll eventually be successful. There's a new generation of young people (millenials or gen Y) who simply don't care about sexual orientation (God bless 'em). I'm afraid that those in opposition will find themselves to be a small, aging minority on the wrong side of history.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,902,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
And a great way to deal with them is to support legal protections for gay people in Nebraska so they won't have anything to complain about, and you can go to sleep at night with the knowledge that these pesky militants won't be in your face anymore. Regarding gay rights, the train has already left the station. A new administration and Congress are coming to power in D.C. that will work toward ending discrimination on a national level, and they'll eventually be successful. There's a new generation of young people (millenials or gen Y) who simply don't care about sexual orientation (God bless 'em). I'm afraid that those in opposition will find themselves to be a small, aging minority on the wrong side of history.
Yeah, what's your point? I think you should sharpen your reading skills and re-read this thread. A majority of posters, gay or not, have stated they support these issues but are completely disgusted of the obnoxiousness of one poster.

It's not a gay thing, it's a moron thing.

And if your demanding someone's support, maybe you should start off with something more effective rather than sabotaging an entire forum and labeling all non-gays as bigots.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, what's your point? I think you should sharpen your reading skills and re-read this thread. A majority of posters, gay or not, have stated they support these issues but are completely disgusted of the obnoxiousness of one poster.

It's not a gay thing, it's a moron thing.

And if your demanding someone's support, maybe you should start off with something more effective rather than sabotaging an entire forum and labeling all non-gays as bigots.
Yeah, I'd have to say that that pretty much sums it up for me.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Smitty, why do you think all of us are bigots or hate gays? This amazes me, just because we are not buying all you have to say does not mean we are filled with hatred.. Your comment about the gay human resourse manager at the Holiday Inn, did his boss say, I am firing you because of your sexual orientation or is that what is being claimed? I think it might be the other way around... As for the new administration, you seem to think they are going to magically change everything? What makes you way that? I believe Obama has already said he did not beleive in same sex marriages. or am I dreaming?

Nita

Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,512,164 times
When your boss says:"I will not have any gays in leadership roles in my hotel", I don't think he's talking about job performance. As far as I'm concerned, when you deny a group of people basic rights that we all take for granted, that's a form of dehumanization, and I think that qualifies as bigotry. Bigotry isn't just the cartoonish variety involving people like skinheads screaming about racial minorities, gay bashers beating people up on the street, neo-nazis spray painting swastikas on synagogues, or Fred Phelps doing God knows what. That stuff is easy to deal with. It makes us all feel better about how enlightened we think we are. The most insidious form of bigotry is much more subtle and difficult to deal with, and it involves denying any group that you may not care for an equal place at the table. Frankly, I'm not fond of certain groups of people in our society myself, but as an American, I'd be the last person to deny them equal protection under the law. I would even defend the rights of neo-nazis to publicly protest peacefully.

As far as the new political reality, you're right. Obama doesn't support gay marriage, and we gay folks will have to work on that, but he does support the basic rights mentioned in my previous post, including rights for domestic partners. It's just a relief to have a president and a congress that are more willing to listen to us.

Regarding attitudes of people in the forum you don't care for, that's a reeeeeal easy one. Unless you are chained to your keyboard by the internet spaggetti monster or are a victim of alien mind control, you have the freedom to deny a response or walk away from the thread. I do it all the time, and it doesn't hurt at all, and my mom and dad still love me.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM

516 posts, read 1,339,336 times
Quote:
When your boss says:"I will not have any gays in leadership roles in my hotel", I don't think he's talking about job performance. As far as I'm concerned, when you deny a group of people basic rights that we all take for granted, that's a form of dehumanization, and I think that qualifies as bigotry. Bigotry isn't just the cartoonish variety involving people like skinheads screaming about racial minorities, gay bashers beating people up on the street, neo-nazis spray painting swastikas on synagogues, or Fred Phelps doing God knows what. That stuff is easy to deal with. It makes us all feel better about how enlightened we think we are. The most insidious form of bigotry is much more subtle and difficult to deal with, and it involves denying any group that you may not care for an equal place at the table. Frankly, I'm not fond of certain groups of people in our society myself, but as an American, I'd be the last person to deny them equal protection under the law. I would even defend the rights of neo-nazis to publicly protest peacefully.

As far as the new political reality, you're right. Obama doesn't support gay marriage, and we gay folks will have to work on that, but he does support the basic rights mentioned in my previous post, including rights for domestic partners. It's just a relief to have a president and a congress that are more willing to listen to us.

Regarding attitudes of people in the forum you don't care for, that's a reeeeeal easy one. Unless you are chained to your keyboard by the internet spaggetti monster or are a victim of alien mind control, you have the freedom to deny a response or walk away from the thread. I do it all the time, and it doesn't hurt at all, and my mom and dad still love me.
You are absolutely right. I think that many people in society today feel that a social issue does not exist if the evidence of it is not in-your-face egregious. Why does it take hate crimes for people to recognize prejudice, when there are examples of it all around them in the every-day way many people treat one another? It is too easy for those who benefit from, and feel comfortable in, mainstream society to quickly discount the experiences of those on the fringe by using only their own experiences as the measure ("Well I have never lost a job because of anything except poor performance, therefore this guy is full of it").

Bigotry is not hatred, it is much less obvious (and much easier) than that.
Bigotry is when you write someone off because they are not like you.
It is when you put people into categories (those people).
Bigotry is thinking of the world as us and them.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

This needs to be stated once again - and I hope you can get it through your head: This incident in the Nashville area is an ALLEGATION.

Most of us here are smart enough to take it for what it is - and ALLEGATION. And we're also smart enough to let the facts come to the surface before passing judgment.

Wise up!

Now, regarding your overuse of the term bigot... You're crying wolf. That's unfortunate, because people hear that term thrown around about so many times, and we begin to ignore you and your ilk. And what's really unfortunate is that if & when something hateful does happen, and you cry wolf, you are ignored.

Think seriously about being taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha