Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 AM

152 posts, read 246,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamanian View Post
Omaha sucks...Is that good or bad.
I've always rather enjoyed living in Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM

14,586 posts, read 23,166,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
I've always rather enjoyed living in Omaha.
I loved Omaha, and I left in early 2002, long before many of the modern improvements have been made.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,086,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post

you can disagree with me if that is the way you feel, but frankly I think anyone can look at a lot of good things and find what's wrong with them. You could go anywhere and do that. Maybe the clubs and the atmosphere here don't fit you. Maybe you don't like low crime rates, maybe you don't like to see a city hold onto one of it's oldest traditions, then Omaha isn't for you. Hell, I don't think Omaha want's people like this, who only blatantly overlook the good in a place so they can slam down on those with civic pride. Tourists do come here. and they almost always praise the city in ridiculous numbers. There are high class resteraunts in town that get business. Ever heard of the Flat Iron? The Qwest Center did get a lot of big name productions that suprised people and brought in a whole range of tourists.
Omaha is not without it's flaws. I know this, but it is not even a mediocre place in my opinion, and it only is in yours because you choose to view it with a blindfold on.
I lived in Omaha for three years- and that was a little more than a year ago. I hated it. Every second that I was there, and desperately trying to find things to like about it, the ONLY two things I came up with that were really positive, was the zoo- which is fantastic - and the neighborhood in the 50s by UNO off of Dodge, which was absolutely wonderful at Halloween. Oh wait, one more thing- the concert they had on the 4th a few years ago with the fireworks, when Styx and Foreigner played...And that. was. it. Don't think I tried? You have no clue. I was desperate to like it there, because there we were. But the humidity was just gut-wrenching...the streets were a nightmare when it snowed, because Omaha claimed they couldn't afford to "salt most of them"...please, with the property tax as high as it is there? And this isn't somebody (me) who never lived there, or lived there 10-20 years ago, this was very recent.

One thing that does surprise me though, is the venom that is spewed by some people who live there, when others say things they don't like about it. I don't think I've seen that on other city posts, but then again, I could be wrong- I haven't looked. Why be so upset by people who don't like it there? No need to continually (and stretchingly) defend it....you like it there, some others like it there, some don't- big whoop!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
..............Tourists do come here. and they almost always praise the city in ridiculous numbers.
I forgot to add.....it's because they know they can go HOME again, LOL!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 PM

152 posts, read 246,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I lived in Omaha for three years- and that was a little more than a year ago. I hated it. Every second that I was there, and desperately trying to find things to like about it, the ONLY two things I came up with that were really positive, was the zoo- which is fantastic - and the neighborhood in the 50s by UNO off of Dodge, which was absolutely wonderful at Halloween. Oh wait, one more thing- the concert they had on the 4th a few years ago with the fireworks, when Styx and Foreigner played...And that. was. it. Don't think I tried? You have no clue. I was desperate to like it there, because there we were. But the humidity was just gut-wrenching...the streets were a nightmare when it snowed, because Omaha claimed they couldn't afford to "salt most of them"...please, with the property tax as high as it is there? And this isn't somebody (me) who never lived there, or lived there 10-20 years ago, this was very recent.
Sorry you hated Omaha so much. I like it.

I guess that's why it's good that I'm still here and you're living elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old General View Post
Sorry you hated Omaha so much. I like it.

I guess that's why it's good that I'm still here and you're living elsewhere.
Lol, this is very true!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,203,415 times
Omaha is a rising city with a rising stature. I am amazed at how the city continues to get praised all over the news media, by cultural magazines, by visitors, by new residents etc..

I am proud to have been raised here..

Mostie, I get it.. You were miserable here and hate it here.. which is why I find it fascinating that you continue to come back to this forum to continuously bash this city. Often times it is better to let go of your bad memories and just move forward.. Not just for you but also for us.. I happen to love it here and it just seems there is a segment of the population that is obsessed with hating, including you.. I know I invited you and the other miserable people to this thread, which I apologize for ever starting..

Sincerely, please go your own way and let us be happy here.. please...

Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 AM

906 posts, read 1,817,497 times
This forum isn't about making people happy, it's about posting information that helps others. Diversity of opinion (even opinions that don't line up with yours) is a good thing.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,782,779 times
I agree with Omahahonors. Once I leave Tampa, I plan on removing the link from my bookmarks and never looking at the forum again. No need to relive a place I hated living in.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,314,864 times
There isn't any motivation around here to post the latest happenings in the city. There isn't 10% of what's really going on in Omaha being posted here. I couldn't necessarily point out a single cause but it is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha