Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,585,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
My quest (to alleviate my homesickness and boredom) has been to find restaurants that don't suck. I'm happy to report that today I actually tracked down good Korean food in Omaha! Yeah! Its the little things that count. (For all the curious out there its at 96th and L streets).
Wasn't aware of that one... always looking for new places so thanks for the recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,221,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You do realize insulting one's hometown is basically a direct insult on their judgment and taste, right?

They suck? That's your opinion. Why can't you put a lid on your hostility and describe things as "not to your liking" rather than being insulting?

I have lived out of state for various periods of time. Yes, I've been to places not up to par with Omaha and I've been to places much more vibrant, as well.

You always preach about people keeping an open mind, maybe you should practice those words.

I'm sorry, I can't find a group of Somalis they can celebrate Muharram with.
good point, she be just using term, but obviously she thinks Omaha is the pits or appears to think that. I agree with you (not about Omaha) but about places and things in general. It is a little more polite, for a lack of a better word, to phrase things "in my opinion" or "for me, this wasn't the place" something like that...

We get comments similar to what Stacy says about AR all the time and yet, so many people know so little about us, our state and the area we live in..

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 01-23-2009 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,221,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noe_7kl View Post
I was not calling everyone in Omaha a redneck. It's just that I've met some people that make living in Omaha not agreable.
and I have met people from many places that make an area not agreeable. We lived 13 years in Texas, I knew from day one, this would never feel like home and it didn't, mainly because of me, not Texas..It is easier to complain and let a few make life rough for you than it is to find the positive and try to fit in..

People are not receptive when outsiders or let's say, new comers want to talk about the way it was back in wherever...

Nita

ps, comments about Rednecks are also not necessary. How many have you known? We have many here in AR as you can imagine. Do they all have the right ideas? Of course not, are they blinded to the real world out there? Yes, in many ways, but let me tell you something: they would be much quicker to help you if you are in need, than most city people would...

Nita

Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,914,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good point, she be just using term, but obviously she thinks Omaha is the pits or appears to think that. I agree with you (not about Omaha) but about places and things in general. It is a little more polite, for a lack of a better word, to phrase things "in my opinion" or "for me, this wasn't the place" something like that...

We get comments similar to what Stacy says about AR all the time and yet, so many people know so little about us, our state and the area we live in..

Nita
I spent some time in Little Rock last year and was very impressed, actually. The drive down from Omaha was really cool once you actually got into AR.

There were lots of little boutique or specialty shops, nice trail system, climbed "something" mountain, and went tail gating for a razorback game.

At night we went downtown and had some drinks. I had a great time, but it is easy for people to bash Little Rock because most people wouldn't know any better i guess.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,287,007 times
Omaha is a great place to me. I think in general people are very accepting, or try to be. Personally, If I hear someone speaking a different language, depending on the language, I'm proud to see the diversity. However, many may consider speaking a foreign language in public to be somewhat rude, as the regular populace has no way of understanding you and may be unaware whether or not you speak english. So I think people stand off more because they find it somewhat uncomfortable in public. Certainly no one is agaisnt people knowing various dialects.

As far as the red necks comment. I took offense to that. You may want to watch your phrasing in the future.

I've been a few places, and I enjoyed the ride, but I'm content where I am. Sure I'd like Omaha to have LA's weather, Philadelphia's downtown, and Virginia Beach's crime rate. But it doesn't. It is it's own city. with it's own flaws and success. I'm sure LA would like Omaha's commute. Philly would like our crime rate, and Virginia Beach could use a downtown like ours. It's all relative.

we do have pro-sports, just not the major league. We do have immigrants, more Sudanese than any other city in the nation, and we are diverse, as we have a ethnic break-down closely mirroring the US as a whole.

We didn't fail you here. It's not that the city didn't want to fit you, it's that you didn't fit the city.
to each their own.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,231,364 times
Quote:
Thanks!!! Someone that understands!!!!

The thing about Omaha that bothers me is that there is no variety. Not in people, restaurants, culture, sports, anything.
Wow - that is just NOT TRUE at all! Have you actually spent any time nosing around town? Have you looked for restaurants other than McDonalds & Burger King? I've found every race, skin color, etc of people here - and I've found the restaurants to match.

When we moved here I thought that it was going to be like the Twin Cities just with less people. But it isn't. The Twin Cities got a large population of refugees from different countries, not because of its weather but because the people were welcoming. They welcome change. In Omaha I (from a different country) do not feel welcomed.
I don't know what parts of Omaha you've been to, but obviously not the right ones. There are HUGE minority populations here.

I do enjoy the commute my husband has to work: 5 min. I like the school my daughter is attending. I like my husbands job.

So... we travel. We try to go out of Nebraska. Most of the people from here do not see why they would want to see something different and see us weird when we tell them we like to travel. But you know... try to live your life and don't care what red necks think .
Sorry you feel so derogatory toward people who aren't like you. My family moved here, from Minnesota, a couple years ago - and we'll take Omaha ANY DAY.

I'd suggest you spend a little more time looking around before you write stuff like this, because your observations are completely inaccurate.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Ok. I speak Spanish. I have two daughters and they speak Spanish too. In the TC, people would approach me to congratulate me in teaching my daughters another language. In Omaha, when people hear me speak Spanish, they avoid me, move as far as they can.
Have you been to South Omaha? Geeze Louise - there are neighborhoods there where Spanish is the ONLY language spoken, and the ONLY language on all the storefronts.

I'm really wondering what part of Omaha you're in.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Burgerflipper, your hostility towards this poor poster is seriously out of line. Why are you so defensive when you learn that the experiences of others do not mirror your own? Have you seriously never lived somewhere that you did not enjoy? I suppose if you have not there is no way for you to understand, but that does not fully explain your snide lack of empathy.

Personally I hate it here too...but y'all knew that!

If you don't like it, leave? What a horrible, childish thing to say! Unfortunately leaving is not always immediately possible. Believe me. Life happens.

Perhaps a more constructive approach would be to ask the poster what she misses most about Minn. and see if you can suggest anything she can do here that might alleviate her homesickness a bit. You know be FRIENDLY and WELCOMING instead of a bunch of defensive *******s.

Noe, I feel your pain having also moved here from somewhere much more culturally diverse. My quest (to alleviate my homesickness and boredom) has been to find restaurants that don't suck. I'm happy to report that today I actually tracked down good Korean food in Omaha! Yeah! Its the little things that count. (For all the curious out there its at 96th and L streets).

Actually the one classical station here bites. Don't get me started on NPR...
Wow. There is just SO MUCH that is wrong with this post - not the least of which is the fact that NPR is not a classical station. Try 90.7 if you want to listen to classical music. Or isn't that good enough for you either?

Kinda sounds to me like you demand to have all your whims catered to, while you just kind of sit around and complain about everything.

Debbie Downer.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
WOW!!!! I'm speechless... this is the kind of reaction that most people in Omaha have.... you are the kind of people that make Omaha suck.

I believe in knowing and accepting what you have and what you don't. I know Omaha is a small city. I knew that it doesn't have the lakes that MN has (I missed them a lot). I knew that there are no profesional sports. I knew all that before moving here. What I did not know was the kind of people you can find here. How hostile they can be. But I'll have to accept it (more like ignore it).

You know what your city has and doesn't have. Accept it.... laugh about the bad stuff... don't hate someone that says outloud what everyone knows.
I lived in Minnesota for nearly 20 years, and can guarantee you that it's anything BUT a welcoming state - unless, of course, you're of Scandinavian heritage. My sons live in Minneapolis. I know what I'm talking about.

Here's what I can tell you, based on just a few of your posts I've read. The problem is not Omaha, it is you.

So everything and everyone in Omaha sucks? Pffffttttt... Yeah, whatever. This coming from somebody that doesn't seem to be aware of the fact that there actually ARE a lot of Spanish-speaking people here.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 AM

516 posts, read 1,341,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Wow. There is just SO MUCH that is wrong with this post - not the least of which is the fact that NPR is not a classical station. Try 90.7 if you want to listen to classical music. Or isn't that good enough for you either?

Kinda sounds to me like you demand to have all your whims catered to, while you just kind of sit around and complain about everything.

Debbie Downer.
Duh, 90.7 is the ONLY classical station as stated previously. NPR is KIOS at 91.5 which (when they play music) is jazz. I listen to these two stations all day...but I miss having programing that is more politically orientated. KIOS avoids all political programs like the plague. They do however have the Thistle and the Shamrock which is my favorite NPR program...and the Bay Area station does not carry it. We used to have to stream it online. Too bad its only once a week.

Why do you always automatically assume people are idiots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha