Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,572,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
Just a quick email to thank everyone who assisted with helping my wife and I decide between Omaha, NE and Charleston, SC. My wife and I pulled the easel into the living room and on a humongous piece of paper wrote down all the necessities and niceties that we consider a "good quality of life". Our categories were: Restaurants, Entertainment, Shopping, Music/Art, Housing, Crime, School system, Transportation, Utilities, Traffic, Weather, Geographical location, Airport, etc. Again we were very specific in each area. Our family and friends think we are absolutely NUTS to pick Omaha over Charleston but we think they are NUTS for judging an area based on what they don't know as opposed to what they do no. Arrrghhh Anyway, OMAHA HERE WE COME!!! Thank you all for your assistance and I hope to become a major contributor to the forum.
Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. Just remember to keep an open mind and try not to compare everything to where you came from, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I offer this advice as someone who moved away from the Omaha area. I made an effort to appreciate my new area for what it is, and not gripe that it doesn't have everything I'm used to. I don't regret my move at all, and I hope you don't either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM

109 posts, read 322,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Congrats! I hope you enjoy it. Just remember to keep an open mind and try not to compare everything to where you came from, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I offer this advice as someone who moved away from the Omaha area. I made an effort to appreciate my new area for what it is, and not gripe that it doesn't have everything I'm used to. I don't regret my move at all, and I hope you don't either!
Great advice indeed! If in the rare chance I do find myself complaining, I have no one to blame but myself. I started off with two job offers (Omaha and Charleston) and in the process of weighing the pros and cons, received another in the DC metro area. With that said, I feel like I didn't settle as Omaha was weighed against the other two locations and came out the clear winner. Besides, we are sick of moving!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,572,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
Great advice indeed! If in the rare chance I do find myself complaining, I have no one to blame but myself. I started off with two job offers (Omaha and Charleston) and in the process of weighing the pros and cons, received another in the DC metro area. With that said, I feel like I didn't settle as Omaha was weighed against the other two locations and came out the clear winner. Besides, we are sick of moving!
I don't blame you! I'd prefer not to move again for quite some time. There will be things that Omaha doesn't have that you will miss and I'm sure there will be things that you don't like or that annoy you. It's inevitable. However, if you spend all your time focusing on the negatives, you might miss some good things. There is a lot I miss about Omaha, but there is also a lot that my new area offers that Omaha doesn't. I think you'll be just fine!

I didn't reply to your thread before, but I have to put my vote in for looking in the Bellevue/Papillion area. I have lived in both places and in the middle of the two and I think they could offer some of what you are looking for.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM

177 posts, read 459,320 times
Congrats on your decision. I'm very familiar with Charleston, and I definitely think you made the best pick! You'll especially appreciate the lack of traffic compared to your previous experience.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 AM

906 posts, read 1,814,413 times
I've lived in the Virginia suburbs of DC, Charleston, and Omaha. Myself I preferred Virginia, but the place you end up liking best will just depend on what you value most. Sounds like you made a well thought out decision. On a lot of fronts, Omaha offers things few other places in the country can compete with.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 AM

109 posts, read 322,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I've lived in the Virginia suburbs of DC, Charleston, and Omaha. Myself I preferred Virginia, but the place you end up liking best will just depend on what you value most. Sounds like you made a well thought out decision. On a lot of fronts, Omaha offers things few other places in the country can compete with.
I lived in the DC metro area for 11 years and couldn't wait to get the h311 outta there. The attitudes, rat race, I'm too busy for you mentality, and overall pretentiousness are all things that turned me off from an otherwise great tri-state area (MD, DC, VA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha