Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

Milton R. Abrahams Branch will temporarily close for renovation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 18, 2011

Beginning August 1, Omaha Public Library’s Milton R. Abrahams Branch, 5111 N. 90th St., will temporarily close for renovation.

The $1.2 million project is funded by the City of Omaha’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP). The library is expected to reopen in December.

For those who typically use this location, neighboring branches will be offering expanded hours during the renovation.

From August 7 to December 31, W. Clarke Swanson Branch, 9101 W. Dodge Rd., and Saddlebrook Branch, 14850 Laurel Ave.,

will offer service seven days a week adding Sundays and Mondays to their normal hours.

For updated location and hours information visit omahalibrary.org.

side note: Downtown Library will still be open it's regular hours so Omaha Central High kids can skip school and stay at that library once the school year starts

so there is no need for Omaha Central High students to be playing hooky at every library in Omaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Hrm. That is the closest one to my house. It is in need of a renovation though. It's got an 80s feel to it.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Hrm. That is the closest one to my house. It is in need of a renovation though. It's got an 80s feel to it.
I know about the 80's vibe.

it is also the only one besides downtown that is multiple floors.

I go to abrahams library or south omaha's on monday's cause the one in my neighborhood is closed. this will be convienent cause I can just take the 5 to get there.

cant stand downtown's library.

competing with Omaha Central High students during the school year playing hooky for a computer for a hour isnt fun

Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I know about the 80's vibe.

it is also the only one besides downtown that is multiple floors.

I go to abrahams library or south omaha's on monday's cause the one in my neighborhood is closed. this will be convienent cause I can just take the 5 to get there.

cant stand downtown's library.

competing with Omaha Central High students during the school year playing hooky for a computer for a hour isnt fun

I think Library's should not have internet access, just computers with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

They should charge prepaid cards for the internet, they would make a tons of cash and get the riff raff out of there.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
[/color]

I think Library's should not have internet access, just computers with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

They should charge prepaid cards for the internet, they would make a tons of cash and get the riff raff out of there.

that would be a good idea, though I think a better idea is:

Omaha Central High school could actually start caring about their trauncy problem and do something.

I have heard former Omaha Central students and parents of Central High students and alumni reps and staff at Central telling me online and offline that omaha central is known for turning a blind eye and covering up their trauncy problem.

every school has a trauncy problem to some extent, but Omaha Central has it far worse than others.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM

another suggestion I have is

omaha's libraries start having job search fairs every so often.

many of those who go to downtown as well as other libraries and play on the internet all day are likely unemployed. I say that cause some folks are there almost on a daily basis.

some have told many of those who are at downtown's library are either (during the school year) Omaha Central High kids playing hooky or folks from the Sienna Francis house or the Open Door Mission

Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Great idea. Let's punish the poor and lower classes by removing one of their only avenues of internet access for no other reason than the fact that some kids like to skip school and play on the computer.

Where is that damn Facepalm picture?

Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 PM

306 posts, read 714,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Great idea. Let's punish the poor and lower classes by removing one of their only avenues of internet access for no other reason than the fact that some kids like to skip school and play on the computer.

The "" emoticon is pretty close.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
The "" emoticon is pretty close.
You really need something bigger to match the level of fail that can be a Happygolucky post, but I guess in a pinch it will work.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

I am not for punishing the poor. I use library net access myself cause I am on a fixed budget of sorts.

I think Omaha Central High and other schools need to deal with the truancy problem and stop enabling the problem.

if Omaha Central and other schools dealt with their schools trunacy problem, there would be less kids playing hooky from school

Omaha Benson dealt with their problem somewhat (see) https://www.city-data.com/forum/omaha...ha-benson.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: