Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 AM

53 posts, read 235,116 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Omaha next month and was wondering if I could get feedback about the libraries in Omaha. I know there are many locations, but is there much difference between them? I enjoy taking my kids (ages 2 and 4). I will be around 114th and Dodge, but it doesn't have to be around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
we have libraries?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,081 times
The only 2 I visited regularly were Swanson (90th and Dodge) and Abrahams (approx. 90th and Fort). Neither of them was very close to my house, but I volunteered at the Humane Society, so they were both near to that. I preferred Abrahams, but I don't know if I can pinpoint a particular reason. For the children's section, I actually found the one at Swanson easier to navigate when I was taking a children's lit class - the books seemed to be fairly well alphabetized, while at Abrahams things were sometimes more of a hodge-podge. I don't know if that's true all of the time or if it just happened to take place whenever I was trying to get the books I needed.

One thing I love about the Omaha Public Library system in general is that you can place holds on books online - you are then notified either by phone or e-mail when the book is available for you to pick it up at your selected branch. This is helpful because the Main Library downtown has a plethora of books not available at the other branches, so if you don't want to drive downtown just to check it out, you can reserve it and pick it up at your own library. You can return your books at any library branch. Also, I don't know if all of the branches have it, but at least some branches do have self-checkout. If you are in a hurry and there is a long line at the circulation desk, self-checkout can be a timesaver.

Swanson does have good used book sales, but they are quite crowded (the children's section can become especially crowded), so you have to figure out the best timing.

Sorry I don't know more about the other branches. Good luck with the move.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:46 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,115 times
Default Downtown

I prefer the main library downtown for a couple of different reasons. One, it has the largest selection by far. It's four or five stories high, I believe. They even have a closed off genealogy section if you're into it. Next, it's close to the Old Market so its nice to be able to grab a drink, eat dinner or take a walk in one of the parks if you have the time.

I've been to the one on 90th and Fort as well and it's mediocre. It's a newer building but I don't like the layout. I can't recall being to any of the other libraries other than the one at UNO.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks, I'll have to check a few out. I would like to check out the geneaology section at the main branch. My great aunt did a family tree that went waayyyy back. I think the last person was someone who received their land from Moses (I'd have to look to be sure). She spent her life doing this work and it is really interesting. It is on a piece of paper about 20 inches high and it rolls out to be about 25 feet long.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,458 times
I have been to all of them except for 3:

the one at 30th and ames

the one near Omaha South High School

and the one in Elkhorn

the one at 90th and fort is my fav

not as busy, except on sunday's

the one in Benson is always busy, just like downtown's but since I live closer to it than 90th and fort's

I am there at that one more often that at 90th and fort's

swanson at 90th and dodge

I like, but the staff charges you 3 bucks to use headphones (no other library does that)

the one at 44th and center is older looking and is okay

plus it is near the 15 and 55 mat buses and a few blocks from a Burger King and Subway sandwich shop and a Hy-Vee and a place called GORAT'S

the one near Cici's Pizza on 48th and Dodge, I know is closed for a while but I hope it looks better than it did look, when they re-open it

Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am moving in the next few weeks and I will take a look around at that time.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4225 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am moving in the next few weeks and I will take a look around at that time.
youre welcome

and let us know which ones are good or bad in your opinion

Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 AM

anyone know when the 48th and dodge area library is reopening?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,227 times
Do you mean the A. V. Sorensen library at 48th and Cass? According to the library website they are up and running right now.

Hours: Tue, Thur 10 am – 8 pm
Wed, Fri, Sat 10 am – 6 pm

I usually go to the Willa Cather branch on Center and 44th and I think that its a hole. I love libraries, but this one appears to be too small to meet the needs of the neighborhood (ie never any open parking, seating or computers). Plus its dark and dank. I agree that the one downtown is great, but make sure to bring change for parking unless its a weekend.

The LaVista public library is gorgeous and they have toddler storytime. Its at Giles and 84th street.

Children's Programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: