Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 AM

4 posts, read 9,028 times

Advertisements

Well, I've searched the forums and every time I see "this area is good" or "this area is bad" someone corrects it, so... I figured it would be better to post something asking about what will fit our needs specifically, and hope for a more definite answer.

My husband and I are in our twenties, no children yet but planning for them in the near future. We are currently staying with his parents while we try to find a place - they live in Gracemont, a small town just outside of Anadarko that is pretty safe.. but really boring, and a LONG commute to anything for people our age to do (shopping, restaurants, parks, etc). We're both relatively reserved but looking for somewhere with a decent 20's-ish population (college areas are a plus) so that we might socialize a bit more. And naturally, we're looking for a safe, secure, friendly place to raise a family.

What we need is relatively low rent (as we need to save up for a down payment on a house) in a place that ISN'T a total dump and is relatively safe (and by that, I mean the cops aren't around constantly breaking up DDs or drugs or whatever... theft seems to be a constant in Oklahoma, so as long as it's not unusually high, I'm not as worried about that). We had found a few places in/near OKC but upon looking them up online, there were nothing but bad reviews.

We'd like to pay under $600/month, and need at least one bedroom, preferably two. Apartment, house, mobile home.. all are fine with us. Something that allows cats is preferable but not absolutely necessary. Suburbs are good, within 30 minutes to decent shopping (doesn't have to be huge, but more than a grocery store) and hopefully not a retirement community (like Gracemont seems to be) or a gang-filled area.

Anywhere in Oklahoma is fine, any suggestions are welcome, the more specific you can be, the better. Thanks so much to everyone who answers in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:57 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't put much faith in the on line reviews. People who post on those things are generally people who have had a bad experience. And anyone who has a car broke into and the management didn't do anything about it are going to have a bad experience. People who are simply doing all right usually don't post reviews.

I would check the online police departments. they list crime incidents, including what kinds of crime was committed, where it was committed, when it was committed. That is going to give you a better handle on where it's safe and where it isn't.

I think you could find what you are looking for in several places. I know a large part of the Riverside Drive has a lot of nice apartments in Tulsa, and being on the river, there are lots of young people and bike/jogging trails. My son used to live near Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa, and he liked it. Not sure what he paid, but I think it was around $550 for a two bedroom on the third floor. I don't know rents elsewhere as I haven't rented in years.

I am sure there are similar areas available in the OKC, Norman, Edmond, Moore areas. If you have the money, I would find a decent motel in the city you are thinking about, spend a weekend and drive around, talk to property managers, and visit with people. Double check recommendations against the crime statistics and make a selection based on what you like and don't like.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
If you consider Stillwater, then don't even think of "Murder North", or in other words 40 North Apartments. It has a bad reputation for crime and other problems as well. I heard recently the ceiling fell down in one apartment.

Anyway, Stillwater has a lot of rentals available because a lot of students prefer to live on campus.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM

StillwaterTownie, we were actually looking there and found the reviews online, which is what prompted me to post here. Is that the only place you would really recommend against?

Goodpasture, I'll give your ideas a try and see what I can come up with.

Any other recommendations are much appreciated.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,346,801 times
Stillwater is wonderful for your age. Both my daughters live there. Now, Stillwater is about to lose a lot of jobs this summer and in both of my daughters' subdivision there is a lot of houses on the market. All from the same company moving to Wis. I think.

One of my son-in-laws job is fine but they put in a hiring freeze (engineering place). My other son-in-law is a bank manager graduated from OSU last year and can't get ahead. He should be glad he has a job but I do understand about wanting to start climbing the ladder.

One daughter is an RN so she is safe but my other daughter is lucky she wanted to stay home and be with her son because her field isn't doing well. So jobs is the problem but all in all I love Stillwater. I now live in Eastern Oklahoma about 2 and 1/2 hours east in the country and do like it here but wouldn't recommend to a younger person.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Does anyone from Chickasha or the area know anything about Autumn Brooke apartments? They seem to have everything we're looking for, and Chickasha is a decent sized area. Thinking about going and looking sometime soon if it's a decent place.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:28 PM

355 posts, read 819,485 times
Durant, OK....lotsa nice places in town and outside of town around the lake for that price or less....some a little higher. Good town with all the wants you mentioned within 20 minute drive.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,546,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Durant, OK....lotsa nice places in town and outside of town around the lake for that price or less....some a little higher. Good town with all the wants you mentioned within 20 minute drive.

You beat me to it.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
Stillwater & Norman are college towns so there are alot of young people in those areas. Best thing to do is get on a web site to see where the worse crime rate is and stay away from those areas. We have great places to eat everywhere in the metro. Hope u find someplace u like!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 AM

As far as Durant... are there any "better" or "worse" areas? I've found some crapload of "oh there's a lot of crime there" sorts of comments... but maybe that's just for some parts?

Right now we're looking at Chickasha.. if we don't end up liking the place there, might look at Stillwater, or see if there's anything in Durant... anyone have specific suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma