Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,331,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRvortec View Post
So, tornados or floods or? In those areas listed?

Also, movie theaters? Any? If I have to drive for a dinner and a movie w/my bride. How far?
I think the floodings are further north, as for tornados, check the City-Data sites for the towns. They give weather histories. There's a movie theater in Seminole, which is 20-25 miles away, along with a fair variety of restaurants. I haven't actually been to a theater since my kids were young [longer ago than I care to think about], but we always rented videos, or pay per view or used Netflix. Easier - and more comfortable - that way. I also have satellite TV, and it's easy to record something to watch later. I'm not much for restaurants, either, though anything that I don't cook and don't have to clean up after is a treat. And when the weather is more cooperative, walking to the bakery for fresh donuts and coffee in the morning is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:33 PM

219 posts, read 789,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I think the floodings are further north, as for tornados, check the City-Data sites for the towns. They give weather histories. There's a movie theater in Seminole, which is 20-25 miles away, along with a fair variety of restaurants. I haven't actually been to a theater since my kids were young [longer ago than I care to think about], but we always rented videos, or pay per view or used Netflix. Easier - and more comfortable - that way. I also have satellite TV, and it's easy to record something to watch later. I'm not much for restaurants, either, though anything that I don't cook and don't have to clean up after is a treat. And when the weather is more cooperative, walking to the bakery for fresh donuts and coffee in the morning is great.
Are all the towns we have been talking about close? I see Marlow has some nice new homes, but in a small town?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far

Old 07-13-2008, 05:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,997,619 times
Quote:
If I have to drive for a dinner and a movie w/my bride. How far?
about the same as it is without the bride....................

Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Can someone shoot me some zip codes for the towns I have listed to check out distances and what not please

Thanks

Old 07-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Are all the towns we have been talking about close? I see Marlow has some nice new homes, but in a small town?

Thanks for all the feedback thus far
Some are closer than others. Duncan is more southwest, Holdenville is more southeast. Check the CD sites for the towns, they show the placement of each one within the state, plus distances to nearest/biggest towns and cities. Or look on Mapquest or Google maps, that way you can get a feel for what's where. There is newer housing in Holdenville also, but I prefer the looks of the older places, even though they are smaller. Besides, if a house was built in the 1920s-30s, is still standing and has a lot of big trees around it, you can figure it wasn't hit by a tornado! Of course, that applies to pretty much anywhere in the state.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Can someone shoot me some zip codes for the towns I have listed to check out distances and what not please

Thanks
If you just put the name of the town/state into Google, like 'holdenville ok' and hit enter, you'll come up with a lot of hits. Pick the one that's hosted by City-Data, you'll see the name in the url of the hits. Much better results than anything you get from a chamber of commerce. Plus, you'll get the zip codes of the places you look at, so you'll be able to look up current weather and weather history on a site like Weather Underground.

Last edited by Yac; 12-15-2020 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-13-2008, 05:56 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Holdenville is a very nice town, and it's pretty around there.
NO it's not! Where's my troll mask! Oh, I already had it on.

Holdenville has streets as bad as methhead's teeth, and everyone is unfriendly!! Besides she said small town.

I hear Tereleton is nice, as is Yukon. They have movie theaters there too! Or try Little Axe, or Pink. Them's fine folks there! And you can't beat the shopping at Lake DirtyBird, er, I mean Lake Thunderbird for that idyllic small-town feel of yesteryear.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1204.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
If you just put the name of the town/state into Google, like 'holdenville ok' and hit enter, you'll come up with a lot of hits. Pick the one that's hosted by City-Data, you'll see the name in the url of the hits. Much better results anything you get from a chamber of commerce. Plus, you'll get the zip codes of the places you look at, so you'll be able to look up current weather and weather history on a site like Weather Underground.
Thanks. 1200 miles away . Nah, it's not that bad. Might just fly. Would have to weight it out.

Last edited by Yac; 12-15-2020 at 12:50 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
NO it's not! Where's my troll mask! Oh, I already had it on.

Holdenville has streets as bad as methhead's teeth, and everyone is unfriendly!! Besides she said small town.

I hear Tereleton is nice, as is Yukon. They have movie theaters there too! Or try Little Axe, or Pink. Them's fine folks there! And you can't beat the shopping at Lake DirtyBird, er, I mean Lake Thunderbird for that idyllic small-town feel of yesteryear.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1204.jpg (broken link)
Tereleton might be too small. 89 people
Yukon is better 22,000

Old 07-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Flying is $218 round trip per person. Not bad. That's without checking around. Just first place I pulled prices.

Yukon houses look nice :-) out of the places Duncan, Yukon, Marlow, which has the best schools? Jobs, shopping, low-low crime?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma