Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 02:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
You may look just north of Bartlesville in Dewey, it's almost attatched to the town but has a population of 3,000, and judging from the satellite photos there is a little land in between still.

Nowata is another possibility about 20 minutes east.

Then there is Skiatook which is benifiting some from Tulsa but remains highly rural. Half hour south of Bartlesville. There's a few tiny towns in between Bartlesville in Tulsa that I didn't list. But "tiny" means 500 people or so Doubt you'd find any listings.
Nowata looks possible... Location and price-wise...
Have you been there? What's your opinion of the area if you have?

The currently listed properties in Skiatook and Dewey, according to my wife, are just about out of our price-range for anything w/ more than 2 BRs.
(And we need 3 BRs plus one extra room for an office if possible...
Otherwise our living room would look more like a data center.)

I would LOVE a town of 500 or less, providing it was close enough to areas commercial enough to make a living.
(Not that smart people would sell in a nice, small, quiet town outside a commercial area unless they had to.)

Thanks for the info....

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Nowata looks possible... Location and price-wise...
Have you been there? What's your opinion of the area if you have?

The currently listed properties in Skiatook and Dewey, according to my wife, are just about out of our price-range for anything w/ more than 2 BRs.
(And we need 3 BRs plus one extra room for an office if possible...
Otherwise our living room would look more like a data center.)

I would LOVE a town of 500 or less, providing it was close enough to areas commercial enough to make a living.
(Not that smart people would sell in a nice, small, quiet town outside a commercial area unless they had to.)

Thanks for the info....

M.
I've never been to Nowata. In fact, the only area of that state I've been to is along all of I-40 and Broken Arrow.

You can try the towns of: Vera, Ramona, Ochelata. Collinsville could also be considered, although it's just north of Owasso and becoming more suburban.

Copan, Oklahoma and Caney, Kansas are other options north of Bartlesville. Personally, I'd look at those other towns as they're in between Bartlesville and Tulsa with more business options.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,166 times
Ok... If you insist on moving here there's a few things you need to know.

(This was originally titled "Tips for Northerners moving South"... but many things apply here as well, my comments are in red. )

1. Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.

2. Just because you can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can. Stay home the two (or more) days of the year it snows.

3. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
No joke, and if there is a wildfire nearby, pull over and let the caravan of cars and trucks go by...they are going to help a neighbor.

4. Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.

5. Do not buy food at the movie store.

6. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.

7. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

8. There is nothing sillier than a Northerner imitating a southern accent, unless it is a southerner imitating a Boston accent.

9. Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?" Not to mention, "WHY on earth did you move HERE???"

10. People walk slower here.

11. Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

12. The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "Big ol'", as in "big ol' truck" or "big ol' boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new southern influenced dialect with this expression. One hundred percent are in denial about it.

13. The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

14. Be advised: The "He needed killin'" defense is valid here.
Don't believe it? See here: OSCN Found Document:Physical or Deadly Force Against Intruder

15. If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until the last shovel of dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.

16. If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.

17. The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November.
This is Oklahoma... winter can happen anytime between August and February get used to it, but don't count on it.

18. If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the most minuscule accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It does not matter if you need anything from the store, it just requires your presence.

19. As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.
And if he IS driving a Tractor, he has the legal right-of-way... deal with it.

20. You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.

21. Re-learn the words Please, Thank-you and Excuse me. You will be using (and hearing) them on a daily basis!!!
---------------------------------------------------

If you wind up loving this state half as much as we do, you will be ecstatic.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM

8,038 posts, read 10,631,014 times
18. If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the most minuscule accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It does not matter if you need anything from the store, it just requires your presence.

This was my favorite, just too funny. It was like this in North Carolina too, where an accumulation of snow higher than two inches was extremely rare, but you sure wouldn't have known it by the hordes of people "stocking up just in case" at the grocery store. Actually, if you really looked at what people were so afraid they would be stranded and "snow-bound" without, it was not really milk and bread they were concerned about, it was the fear of not having enough beer, soda, and junk food that drives them to the store when these "blizzards" are predicted to hit town!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,846 times
I lived in Stillwater for 16 years. Absolutely loved it. We moved to Edmond in August due to my husband changing jobs. My husband now works in Oklahoma City but we moved to Edmond for the school system. It isn't near as good as the one my kids were enrolled at in Stillwater.

I would recommend moving to Mannford for a small town. It is close to Tulsa and on a Keystone Lake. The only time there is ever traffic there is on the weekends in the summer. You might also look into the hilly towns of Prue or Sand Springs. Sand Springs is much larger than Mannford and Prue. Sand Springs has a population of around 20K. There are a ton of small towns in Oklahoma that are in a close proximity of Tulsa or OKC.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:27 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,979,592 times
In light of LR's list of things, let me add..........

If you REALLY want to start a fight (and fighting is a form of recreation), just ask a guy with a green ball cap if that green color on his tractor is the primer.........John Deere people are like Harley people.......they lose all sense of humor if you comment negatively about their passion.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I've never been to Nowata. In fact, the only area of that state I've been to is along all of I-40 and Broken Arrow.

You can try the towns of: Vera, Ramona, Ochelata. Collinsville could also be considered, although it's just north of Owasso and becoming more suburban.

Copan, Oklahoma and Caney, Kansas are other options north of Bartlesville. Personally, I'd look at those other towns as they're in between Bartlesville and Tulsa with more business options.
I will pass those places on to the wife to check out.
THANKS!

M.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Ok... If you insist on moving here there's a few things you need to know.

(This was originally titled "Tips for Northerners moving South"... but many things apply here as well, my comments are in red. )

1. Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.

2. Just because you can drive on snow and ice does not mean we can. Stay home the two (or more) days of the year it snows.

3. If you do run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in the cab of a four wheel drive with a 12-pack of beer and a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them. Just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.
No joke, and if there is a wildfire nearby, pull over and let the caravan of cars and trucks go by...they are going to help a neighbor.

4. Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store.

5. Do not buy food at the movie store.

6. If it can't be fried in bacon grease, it ain't worth cooking, let alone eating.

7. Remember: "Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural. "All y'all's" is plural possessive.

8. There is nothing sillier than a Northerner imitating a southern accent, unless it is a southerner imitating a Boston accent.

9. Get used to hearing, "You ain't from around here, are you?" Not to mention, "WHY on earth did you move HERE???"

10. People walk slower here.

11. Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand you either.

12. The first Southern expression to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective "Big ol'", as in "big ol' truck" or "big ol' boy". Eighty-five percent begin their new southern influenced dialect with this expression. One hundred percent are in denial about it.

13. The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

14. Be advised: The "He needed killin'" defense is valid here.
Don't believe it? See here: OSCN Found Document:Physical or Deadly Force Against Intruder

15. If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until the last shovel of dirt is thrown on and the tent is torn down.

16. If you hear a Southerner exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are likely the last words he will ever say.

17. The winter wardrobe you always brought out in September can wait until November.
This is Oklahoma... winter can happen anytime between August and February get used to it, but don't count on it.

19. As you are cursing the person driving 15 mph in a 55 mph zone, directly in the middle of the road, remember, many folks learned to drive on a model of vehicle known as John Deere, and this is the proper speed and lane position for the vehicle.
And if he IS driving a Tractor, he has the legal right-of-way... deal with it.

20. You can ask a Southerner for directions, but unless you already know the positions of key hills, trees and rocks, you're better off trying to find it yourself.

21. Re-learn the words Please, Thank-you and Excuse me. You will be using (and hearing) them on a daily basis!!!
---------------------------------------------------

If you wind up loving this state half as much as we do, you will be ecstatic.
Thank-you for the big ol' laugh... Y'all deserve some rep for that.

I could easily get used to those things, and be singing: "OOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes SWEEPING down the plain..."
in no time at all.

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post

This was my favorite, just too funny. It was like this in North Carolina too, where an accumulation of snow higher than two inches was extremely rare, but you sure wouldn't have known it by the hordes of people "stocking up just in case" at the grocery store. Actually, if you really looked at what people were so afraid they would be stranded and "snow-bound" without, it was not really milk and bread they were concerned about, it was the fear of not having enough beer, soda, and junk food that drives them to the store when these "blizzards" are predicted to hit town!
You know, you're absolutely right....
We HAVE noticed that instead of the normal staples, people up here DO tend to stock up on mostly ice cream and beer before the big storms.....

Maybe they're gonna have "beer floats" while they ride the storm out...

M.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsngr View Post
I lived in Stillwater for 16 years. Absolutely loved it. We moved to Edmond in August due to my husband changing jobs. My husband now works in Oklahoma City but we moved to Edmond for the school system. It isn't near as good as the one my kids were enrolled at in Stillwater.

I would recommend moving to Mannford for a small town. It is close to Tulsa and on a Keystone Lake. The only time there is ever traffic there is on the weekends in the summer. You might also look into the hilly towns of Prue or Sand Springs. Sand Springs is much larger than Mannford and Prue. Sand Springs has a population of around 20K. There are a ton of small towns in Oklahoma that are in a close proximity of Tulsa or OKC.
I'll add Mannford and Prue to the research list.
Stillwater was do-able, and Sand Springs was out of our range if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info!

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma