Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 01:37 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I dunno.... Sounds like you just "may" LOVE NH.
(And yes, there's LOTS of all those things up here (NH).... I'm originally from MA where country music is VERBOTEN... Although I've acquired a taste for Johnny Cash in my old age.)

You and me both kid!

From what I understand... (and I've never seen OK, so take it for what it's worth...) Edmond is an "upscale" area.

So... You're from NJ? What exit?
(Don't yell at me, I have a friend from NJ who told me to ask people from NJ that question.)

See you in OK!

M.
Yes, supposedly that's the "NJ question". But -- we don't live near an "exit" We're quite a ways from the Garden State Parkway, and not too near the New Jersey Turnpike. We're west of both of those highways -- a stone's throw from Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 02:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Yes, supposedly that's the "NJ question".
Don't blame me... It's my friend's fault that I asked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
But -- we don't live near an "exit" We're quite a ways from the Garden State Parkway, and not too near the New Jersey Turnpike. We're west of both of those highways -- a stone's throw from Pennsylvania.
I've only been in NJ once... To take the kids to Six Flags, way back when....

The only thing I know about NJ is that they have Draconian gun laws...
(And from other posts you've made on the forum, I'm sure you agree... My kids learned shooting and gun safety at an early age also.)

From what I can see here and from other research, you'll (and I would) like OK... Although NH has better carry laws... (Not as good as AK and VT though.)
But WAY better than NJ!

Do you plan to visit OK any time soon?
Due to employment obligations, I won't be able to set foot on the ground there until I sell my place in NH... Hope you don't suffer from such constraints.

Even though I'm not an Okie (yet), Welcome aboard!

M.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
I'll pass Vinita on to my wife... Sounds good.
I swear I read some pretty nasty things about Vinita on this forum a while back...
Does anyone with firsthand knowledge care to comment on Vinita?
I have too. My sister wants to go there because of some route 66 thingy, and after reading about it it sounds like an ugly town. Maybe someday I will see it for myself. Sometimes towns others hate I love.

Where I grew up crickets overtook the town one year. You would walk into a store and they would be all over the place, mostly dead. You would go try on a dress and there were crickets on it. The streets were filled with crickets. I think it was just a year that they all bred and hatched nicely. Same with locusts. We had a good year for ticks in OK this year. They were all over the place.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
How about if all you Okies say OK is awful, and people really want to go to NH, then I post the link to my place that's for sale in NH?
I told you folks from the gitgo to go somewhere else....you won't like me or anyone else around here all that much. We tend to be mixed, politically......the country folk tend to be yellow dog Democrats, those sissys in the city tend to be Republicans that think everyone needs to be just like them or they aren't American or something. A Copenhagen can is formal attire, there are two kinds of music....country, and western.....except in town and you can hear the boom box cars hip hopping from three blocks away. We get into heated arguments.....mostly about OU and OSU football. We tend to shoot subdivision dogs when they pack up and chase the goats or cows. You can't get through a day without being asked to visit a church of one sort or another. Gun control is being able to hit what you are pointing at. Like I said, most of you won't much like it around here.....too many chiggers, ticks, scorpions, and yellowjackets.....too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter (got down to 39 last night). Not enough malls and game rooms. Too many potholes in the roads, often there's too much police (Take Okmulgee for example, you got the State Police, the City Police, the County Police and the Creek Nation Lighthorse). I tell you......come and visit and spend some of those dollars, but think twice before you move in.

I don't see what folks don't like about Vinita. It is in the Cherokee Nation, which is pretty good on it's own, there is a Judge Goodpasture there that is supposed to be as fair and honest as they come, the state mental hospital is there so there is long term employment (we really don't have all that many crazy people and those we do have usually get sent off to Texas). It isn't far to Grand Lake and Lake Hudson.You just gotta be prepared to deal with a bunch of Cherokee and a few Delaware and Miami.

You know how Pasadena has the rose festival, and Muskogee has an azalea festival and other cities have tulip festivals and flower festivals of all kinds? Vinita has a calf fry festival (http://www.vinita.com/events/calffry_07.html)........now (broken link) you tell me, what smells better? a bunch of roses and azaleas and other fancy flowers, or that deep fried smell of fresh calf fries? I don't know about you folks, but that is an easy easy choice........

So, to close this post, let me remind you that unless you are looking for a place with people with bad attitudes, and that make a competition out of calf fries.....you might just wanna stay home.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
That is priceless. Rep points for you.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:56 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
Pretty funny, Goodpasture.

To avoid snakes, bigfoot, chiggers, tornadoes, and other things we have in OK, everyone should move to northern New Hampshire.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
I feel like the bartender at 2:00 AM........I don't care where you go or who you go with, just go....you can't stay here......

Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,634 times
Default To the good and cooperative folk in OK...

Yes! That's the idea.. EXCELLENT!

Not only are the Okies friendly and helpful, but they work together well and are very cooperative. Gotta love it.

Now to get this place sold and see OK for myself.

The wife has been checking out all the suggested areas on realtor.com (and local Realtor sites) and we've found a few properties that meet our requirements... Not that they'll still be available when we get there. But it does look like we'd be able to find something when the time comes.

Every time we officially went house hunting up here, there was seldomly anything good available, but after we bought, all kinds of great stuff pops up on the market...
Hope that doesn't happen again. We seem to have the worst timing.
Wish us luck... We'll need it.

It would be really nice to get out of Dodge before the REAL NH Winter starts.

Thanks for the nice(?) OK comments above.

M.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Now to get this place sold and see OK for myself.

Don't you plan on seeing the place BEFORE you sell?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Goodpasture, I would rep you but can't. You are hilarious.
Good luck CG. If you get the chance, you should fly out and check the area out even if it's only for a couple of days. Have you narrowed down the area yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma