Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,520,140 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is typical or not. My dad was born in Sallisaw. His father was from Arkansas, but his mother was born in Sallisaw around the turn of the century, so that makes him second generation. My mom was born on a farm near Byars (little town near Pauls Valley). Her parents were both from Arkansas though. During the Depression they headed for California. I still have lots of family there - mostly in the Oklahoma City area, but its such a young state I don't know how deep family roots could go. Seems like my family were skipping a few states every generation from Georgia to California. We finally hit the end here (unless we turn around and start heading back)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM

181 posts, read 298,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenokie View Post
My family has been here since before it was a state. As far as dates, my great grandfather was born in Red Oak, OK in 1912. Before my family came to OK they were from Kentucky.
My maternal ancestors also moved to Oklahoma from Kentucky sometime in the mid to late 1800's. My mother's maiden name was Maxey, and her mother's maiden name was Colette. Actually, my ancestors moved to Texas and then later Indian Territory, which became Oklahoma.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,665 times
Default Oklahoma Ancestor Roots

Many people disposessed by the Civil War left the South, went to Kansas, Missouri, etc. When the land runs were made in the western part of Oklahoma in 1889 and 1893, they lined up and rode horses, or drove their wagons as fast as possible, to stake a claim on 160 acres of land, which if they made improvements to it and lived on it for 5 years, they received a deed to it. Free land had great appeal for many people who were on the losing side of the civil war and later lost their property to taxes, etc.

My grandfather came from Virginia after the civil war, lived in Kansas until the land run of 1893. He turned farmer and later owned a mercantile store in the new Oklahoma Territory. He lived to be 97 and told us many of the stories relating to the land run. It was a wild free-for-all race for a new beginning.

He met my grandmother on the "Homestead" next to theirs. We have five generations who have lived in Oklahoma, and many who still live here.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,006 times
anybody currently stays in ft. sill, oklahoma? please direct message me, i have a few questions. my fiance get stationed there at the end of august. now we r in germany.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,299,080 times
April 22, 1889 my ancestor rode in the first land run and published the first newspaper in the newly opened Indian territory called the Unassigned Lands. There was a total of five land runs.

OKGenWeb Oklahoma Land Openings 1889-1907

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM

971 posts, read 1,455,881 times
My Grandparents were married in Winfield, Kansas, went south to Blackwell, OK and set up housekeeping. My Mom was born 1910, her sister 1911 and brother 1913. 1916 the family moved th Ft. Smith, Ark. Census said my grandfather was a sead salesman. 9 years later they moved to Webb City, Misssouri never to return to Oklahoma although a town had their last name of Pryor, Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma