Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times

Advertisements

I loved your photos and the comments were great as well. I got a laugh out of them. Now that house for sale is my kind of home. Was this what one may call Drive By Photoshootings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Neat pictures, Redbird. And your comments are hilarious.
I agree. Those were great Redbird. Loved the commentary too! Thanks!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:33 AM

75 posts, read 285,071 times
Love those RedBird! Great job.

Peggy, don't knock yourself out hun...a day off should be a day OFF!

Thank ya'll for a lovely trip down memory lane.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Default South of Holdenville pics

I like driving around and taking pictures. We are starting south of Holdenville near Atwood.

Somebody has been fixing up this old school. It looks like Atwood had its own school until the 50s or 60s.

The school was built by the WPA or the CCC.

This is an old water trough. The kids probably rode horses to school, but those tie ups look modern.

Typical little farmhouse.

A little more modern house. I like how they made a garden around their storm shelter.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Farmland and such south of Holdenville

I accidentally hit the post button, so here are some more pics.

Working farm, we are getting close to the Canadian River.

A different farm. This is good land near the river. Soybeans I guess.

South Canadian River from Highway 48 bridge. This is the normal amount of water, not flooding but not all dried up either.

Near Holdenville Lake. I think the post was on the Little River. Some of the first white people in the area.

Holdenville Lake.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Wow! This house, the one in the picture you took was home to a friend of mine all the way through high school (Griffin was the family's last name) and for several years after. If I recall, it's right on highway (48?) just as you are leaving the intersection of Highway 1 on Hwy 48. If you're headed toward Holdenville, it's about a mile or two before you pass by the old Atwood School.

We lost touch sometime in the mid 80s. I wonder if his family still lives there. It's a shame that Gerty destroyed their old school and a good thing that Atwood is restoring theirs. They both went out at the same time, sometime around 1966, I think. Thanks for the pics!

Last edited by Synopsis; 10-03-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Wow! This house, the one in the picture you took was home to a friend of mine all the way through high school (Griffin was the family's last name) and for several years after. If I recall, it's right on highway (48?) just as you are leaving the intersection of Highway 1 on Hwy 48. If you're headed toward Holdenville, it's about a mile or two before you pass by the old Atwood School.

We lost touch sometime in the mid 80s. I wonder if his family still lives there. It's a shame that Gerty destroyed their old school and a good thing that Atwood is restoring theirs. They both went out at the same time, sometime around 1966, I think. Thanks for the pics!

The house is north of Atwood school, I think. Anyway, I was going north and put the pictures in order. I looked in the phone book and there is one listing for a Roy Griffin in Holdenville, but not on highway 48.

Those old schoolhouses are sometimes fixed up into nice homes. Old churches too. That would be too much work for me, but some people enjoy that kind of thing.

After a while, I have some more pix of the Dairy Queen, etc. for you.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The house is north of Atwood school, I think. Anyway, I was going north and put the pictures in order. I looked in the phone book and there is one listing for a Roy Griffin in Holdenville, but not on highway 48.

Those old schoolhouses are sometimes fixed up into nice homes. Old churches too. That would be too much work for me, but some people enjoy that kind of thing.

After a while, I have some more pix of the Dairy Queen, etc. for you.
Thanks Peggy! I look forward to seeing those. The "Griffins" were Johnny and Martin. I don't recall their parents first names. I'm almost sure that's their old house. I haven't been through Atwood in probably 10 or 12 years, so I forget the directions of North and South. I do know that the Griffins' house (the one in the picture) is on the way to Holdenville on Hwy 48, about 1/4 of a mile off (don't know which direction) Highway 1. So, If you're heading East on Highway one from Allen to McAlester, you turn left on 48 in Atwood to go to Holdenville, the house that I'm thinking of is on the right side of the highway before you get to Atwood School. You were there, and I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure that's the house. It has been a long time though.
Thanks again for the memories!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM

This is on Highway 48, turn north off Highway 1, right near Atwood. I think it is such an attractive place.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Peggy, you must be in a zone, the pic with Cates farm written on the barn is the old couple that let us pick all the pears we wanted a few years back. Very nice people.

Next time you are on the that road (Hwy 48), turn west on the road right in front of Cates farm, and there is an interesting old cemetary about a mile or so up the road.

I know, I know cemetaries, interesting? My companion loves old cemetaries. I don't know why. But I take him and take pics of the old stone markers. Makes me wonder what their life was like for ppl born in the 1860's who lived around here. Met a man today who was 91 in Wal mart. He said he retired and moved to Atwood to take care of his mom. I was wondering, if he is 91, how old is his mom??!! I like old stories.

My uncle said he was huntin with his uncles when he was a boy, when an old white man took a shot at them as they were walking through the fields (back in the 40's). So, one of his uncles got mad and took a shot right back at the old coot! He said that old white man went back in the house and didn't shoot at them anymore. Naturally, bein Indian, they knew if the Sheriff came out, it would be the Indians who would get thrown in jail. So they walked into the tree line and kept hunting. Those were different days, a different era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma