Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksooners View Post
Yea that's the prison my husband is going to work for. He started out there 14 years ago and now he is going back as a chief of security. We watched it on the news and he was all juiced up. Lol
That reminds me of when I took a job as a therapist in the regional burn unit in west Texas. I'd been there about a week and was on call for the weekend.

On a friday night I turned on the 10 oclock news and the anchors were talking about an gas leak explosion injuring some people in their home and they were bing rushed to the ..........

Telephone rings.

Anyway, I talked to some other people out there and they mentioned that you might want to look at the Merritt schools system which is, for lack of a better word, suburban Elk City.

Merritt school is on the Sayre side of Elk City, and the prison is off of the interstate out there. Probably about a 10-12 minute commute as opposed to a 5 minute one if you actually lived in Sayre.

The thing about it is if you live in Sayre you are going to be going to Elk City all the time anyway.

Elk City schools are good. They have a real new high school and I think it would be fine. They are just a bigger school system than the others.

Merritt being the smallest of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:15 AM

8 posts, read 8,946 times
Cali inmates are probably the most dangerous inmates and I think the only 2 states that will houise them is cali and oklahoma. Btw..is the NW part of Elk City a good place to live and how are the daycares?

Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 AM

So I guess we are moving to Elk City because sayre has nothing for housing and besides I think Elk city is pretty. The northwest side neighborhoods look good. I'm pretty excited about it. Do they have college extensions in elk city?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 PM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksooners View Post
So I guess we are moving to Elk City because sayre has nothing for housing and besides I think Elk city is pretty. The northwest side neighborhoods look good. I'm pretty excited about it. Do they have college extensions in elk city?
The northwest side of Elk City is the best side and that is where the high school is. I would think it would be fine but prices are a bit high right now because of the oil boom out there.

Ironically, the college extension is in Sayre, but it won't be more than a 15-20 minute drive from Elk. Real easy to get to.

Elk City has a new hospital that is in the northwest side as well. Also, the main city park and swimming pool is in that area.

PM me about any questions? We have a family business in Elk City (Title company) and we can maybe help with the house stuff.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:06 AM

Thanks Eddie! Very helpful info...right now we are staying in a house in rocky so its going to be be quite a commute everyday for my husband but its only temporary. I really would like to find a 3 bedroom duplex in Elk city on the NW part of town. I don't want to be too picky I would just like to live in a fairly nice clean place. Lol. If u know of anything I would really apprerciate any input. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 15,643 times
My hubby myself and our four kids are moving that way in two weeks anyone know of anything for rent? Hell be working in elk city so we need something kinda close

Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 810 times
Sayre is a great small town. Sets just off Interstate 40. Old 66 goes through there. It's about half way between Amarillo and Oklahoma City.
Beautiful golf course and park. Rodeo grounds for the cowboy in you.
Southwestern Oklahoma State University took over Sayre Jr. College. Lots of people get their basics and transfer to SWOSU at Weatherford. Nursing program is out standing.
Vo- tech is located there too.
Beautiful new hospital with lots of programs.
New Schools. Lots of money from oil and gas to support schools. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball. Sayre has always been competive and has outstanding sports and academic programs.
Lots of Jobs:
Oil and Gas
Sayre has a prison, however; that means jobs for those living there. Also the prison staff have to spend their money somewhere which means more business for local employers. Sayre also is the county seat with the sheriff's office located there. Headquarters of the area rural electric cooperative.
Crime does not seem to be problem. Most everybody looks out for everybody else.
Lots to be developed there. Housing and Businesses. The city council had the vision to hire a city manager who also sees the potential in encouraging both.
I could go on, I just know Sayre is a good town with lots of opportunities. And I would be proud to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma