Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times

Advertisements

I believe we often get the moisture from tropical storms from the gulf, but this one in particular was different. Something about the way the storm held together.

Its not uncommon to get the downpours of 7 inches of rain or so, I think the rate of speed that the floods hit was what caught many off guard.

My father is in SW Oklahoma and the heavy rains always flood out the creeks and the roads. It is par for the course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,467,764 times
They're still showing OK on the weather channel. It's getting nearly as much time on there as Dean is.

I also need to correct something I said in a previous post. I learned that the weather system in Mn. and Wisc. isn't the same one you have. Something about a front, BUT they're now fearing the two weather systems will collide.

Just hoping the Red Cross will be there for everyone that needs help. They've always been so good to us. We had a microburst hit my area a few years ago and they were right here for everyone. We turned out fine, but just across the street they had devastation.

Funny how some states just try to do the best they can. There is ONE state who asked for federal aid Friday already because they thought Dean may hit them. And no, it wasn't Texas.

CNN spent a lot of time in OK and aired quite a bit of their nine o'clock show in OK tonight.

Unfortunately, there are now five people who've passed from this.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,627,390 times
Six people have been killed now. Very sad stories.

At least they were able to rescue many people. Those helicopter scenes were pretty dramatic.

From the Daily Oklahoman:

In what the National Weather Service termed "an extraordinary event,” the storm re-intensified just south of the Red River and developed sustained winds greater than tropical storm magnitude.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 AM

15 posts, read 53,548 times
That is very sad. We had a few tornado warnings here near Lawton but luckily they never made anything.The flooding here wasn't near as bad as what CNN showed going on near Kingfisher.Those people are in my prayers.

I really hope hurricane Dean doesn't do the same, but even if it doesn't the weather channel said there are already more disturbances trying to form out east of the carribean.Hurricane season is going to be a rough one this year it seems.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Glad to know you are ok, shelby.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,671,593 times
With all this weather going from one extreme to the other, is Oklahoma a cursed state or what? I most certainly think it is, that's for sure. I don't think God looks kindly down upon Oklahoma at all and is usually broken hearted when he does with all the sin and hypocrisy that goes on in this state.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-20-2007 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,467,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
With all this weather going from one extreme to the other, is Oklahoma a cursed state or what? I most certainly think it is, that's for sure. I don't think God looks kindly down upon Oklahoma at all and is usually broken hearted when he does with all the sin and hypocrisy that goes on in this state.
What? I don't understand what you're saying. Look at all the devastation in many other states AND countries. Since you're speaking Biblically, all you have to do is read the book of Job and it will become clearer.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 AM

Stillwater Townie, you must be one of those conservative people who said that God sent Katrina to New Orleans.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
He's being sarcastic. He's actually very liberal and is poking fun. Pretty sad thing to do in light of some recent tragic events.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Synopsis, I know he thinks he is liberal, but in looking over his past posts I certainly detect the holier than thou attitude common among conservatives, but I guess you are right, liberals can also be holier than thou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma