Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

I've been here this last time for 17 years. I have never owned even a snow shovel. The thing is, if you can't get out your drive way, you won't get down the street.....snow removal is virtually non-existent. As I live in the country, we get the occasional hill or bridge being salted, but for the most part, by the time I have to go somewhere and it is possible to go somewhere, it's melted enough that shoveling is not required.

Also, remember, frequently it rains and freezes prior to snowing. That makes the surface below the snow very slick. I really do not trust the county sanders to get the job done when it starts drizzling just before the temperature starts to drop, freezing that light film of water on everything, then get a couple of inches of snow that acts like a lubricant on the tires......best to just stay home, have a bowl of soup, some tea or coffee, and watch old movies.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
No snow shovel????? You wouldn't survive in my area. But we have a couple of them and I'd lend you one.

So are you saying that all you have is sand trucks? You have no snow plows? Don't the people who are employed have to get out and go to work even when there's a winter storm?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
No snow shovel????? You wouldn't survive in my area. But we have a couple of them and I'd lend you one.
Why would I want one?

Quote:
So are you saying that all you have is sand trucks? You have no snow plows?
Yeah, they put blades on and mount the sand spreaders in the county dump trucks, but they stay on the main roads, for the most part. They will hit the bigger hills and the bridges, but by the time they could get to the local roads and streets, the snow is usually gone. Why waste taxpayer money on unnecessary effort?

Quote:
Don't the people who are employed have to get out and go to work even when there's a winter storm?
Theres enough people that can get to Walmart and CVS and offices to keep things going, most everyone else just stays home and plays with their kids for the day or two it takes for the weather to warm up.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM

I don't get what all this concern about weather is about........if you are under a tornado warning, you watch the sky and take cover when you see a tornado coming. Otherwise you kick back and enjoy the storm. If you are snowed in, you cuddle up with someone warm and friendly, and stay there till the roads clear themselves. If it rains too much you stay in and stay dry. If it gets too hot, you do everything outside early or late, and you stay inside the rest of the time........sheesh.........go with the flow and do what makes sense. You don't get all upset just because you can't get out the driveway or because the road at the bottom of the hill is under water. Just sit it out and read a good book..............

Old 06-18-2008, 12:53 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
GP, you always make so much sense, and make everything seem so simple.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
GP, you always make so much sense, and make everything seem so simple.
Mr, Simplicity

Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
I'm going to change his moniker under his name to "Mr. Simplicity." Thanks for the tip MK.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM

55 posts, read 147,077 times
Talking Cool!

Armywife,
I have a website specifically dedicated to Oklahoma critters as well as weather and any other Oklahoma pics. I would love to put those pics, and any others you might have, on my website. I'll give you complete credit and it will be noted as such and, obviously, you retain the copyrights to the pics.

One other thing, I'm currently partnered with the USGS to show and document Oklahoma critters on their website because, in my opinion, Oklahoma wildlife documentation is sorely lacking. They might want to use your pics also (through me of course). They are even going to dedicate a whole "section" of their site just for my pics. If they were to use yours you would have to give me and them permission to put them there. The copyrights are such that the pictures can be used from their website for non-profit.

At any rate, I would love to have them on my site.
You have some VERY cool pictures!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm going to change his moniker under his name to "Mr. Simplicity." Thanks for the tip MK.
I'll send you the bill

Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 PM

197 posts, read 522,144 times
Default More pics..

We went to the Wichita Mountains for an evening drive and were lucky enough to see alot of the Wichita Mountain Red Tarantulas roaming the roads...although our son has really bad arachnophobia, we still stopped the car so I could get some pics. Needless to say our son stayed in the car and wouldnt even look at my camera...poor kid...and Of course I couldnt resist taking a picture of the beautiful sky

This above pic is of my husband, he was trying to catch this spider...why he wanted to catch it I have no idea LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma