Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,633,891 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have a couple of questions. I have never been down there to OKC but want to in the near future, as it seems to be just the right size in the right climate-zone for me and I want to learn more about it. My first question is, how do you think OKC compares to other cities in the plains area? Would you say it really has a similar feeling to places such as Omaha or DesMoines, of course being a bit bigger? Or is it different somehow, for better or worse?
Also, does OKC have all of the shopping/restaurants that other places of similar size seem to have, such as Macy's, Nordstrom's, Joe's Crab Shack, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, etc? I know, those are odd examples, but I was just picking some random places to use as examples.

I look forward to getting down there sometime this Spring/Summer to look around!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 PM

258 posts, read 1,015,632 times
Other cities in the plains area like Omaha and DesMoines..... What no Tulsa! lol Heck Tulsa beats those places and OKC is bigger than Tulsa, and is further along on its downtown renewal efforts. Tulsa has PF Changs, Joes Crabshack, Cheesecake Factory, Macy's and your other typical everyday, suburban sprawl type stuff, lol ,,,, No Nordstroms right now,(rumor has it one may be going in the River District) but we got Sacks Fifth Ave and other high end stores,,,and again, Tulsa is smaller than OKC so obviously they are going to have most of that stuff and more. But I know, Tulsa doesnt count, we dont exist. We are just a tiny, worthless cow town. I am not bitter. :-P

Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 PM

498 posts, read 1,607,649 times
OKC has everything you mentioned and more except Nordstrom's. Like TulsaArtist mentioned, a Nordstrom's location is rumored to be opening in south Tulsa and one in northwest OKC.

But I really stress when you come to OKC to check out places like Western Avenue, the Asian District and the Paseo Arts District, lots of great non-chain local eateries and places to shop.

I miss OKC and can't wait for my vacation in June!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,002,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
My first question is, how do you think OKC compares to other cities in the plains area?
Favorably
Quote:
Would you say it really has a similar feeling to places such as Omaha or DesMoines, of course being a bit bigger? Or is it different somehow, for better or worse?
I like it better, but that is personal taste. Maybe having Sooner Football nearby instead of Husker has something to do with it.

Quote:
Also, does OKC have all of the shopping/restaurants that other places of similar size seem to have, such as Macy's, Nordstrom's, Joe's Crab Shack, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, etc? I know, those are odd examples, but I was just picking some random places to use as examples.
What we don't have in clothes stores, you can get on line. OKC also has a Sheplers which I like better than Nordstrom's. I believe OKC has all those restaurants, but I don't really know. I prefer to go to good local restaurants over mediocre national chains.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,520,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Favorably

I like it better, but that is personal taste. Maybe having Sooner Football nearby instead of Husker has something to do with it.

What we don't have in clothes stores, you can get on line. OKC also has a Sheplers which I like better than Nordstrom's. I believe OKC has all those restaurants, but I don't really know. I prefer to go to good local restaurants over mediocre national chains.
I'm with ya there GP. This guy really needs to come down here for the best BBQ in the South-Central.

Also, JM31828, I'm mystified of the comparison to Omaha and Des Moines? You'll be out of your element if you're expecting Nebraska or Iowa. Someone once said that OK City would be like Little Rock and Fort Worth having a kid and there ya go....OkieVille!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,633,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'm with ya there GP. This guy really needs to come down here for the best BBQ in the South-Central.

Also, JM31828, I'm mystified of the comparison to Omaha and Des Moines? You'll be out of your element if you're expecting Nebraska or Iowa. Someone once said that OK City would be like Little Rock and Fort Worth having a kid and there ya go....OkieVille!
haha I guess that's the contrast I was looking to find, knowing OKC is probably not like Omaha or Des Moines- those were my comparison cities since they are here in my region- the places I know. I may sound naieve, but could you expand on the comparison of Ft Worth and Little Rock having baby OKC? (I've been to Ft Worth but not Little Rock, the comparison is lost on this northerner

And to the Tulsa poster- I meant no offense, I've heard great things about your city as well!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM

559 posts, read 1,758,995 times
i agree with okcpulse. go check out the asian district on classen. after i began eating at those restaurants in that area i cant stand chinese buffets anymore. also stop by super cao nguyen grocery store.
western ave. district is another good place, like pulse mentioned, great restaurants there too.
go to the oklahoma river and rent a canoe at chesapeke boathouse. you should even check out stockyards city, which i believe still has the largest stocker/feeder cattle market in the world.
all the restaurants u mentioned we have. if you want to go to a mall go to penn square. i think they have better stores compared to the other malls, like: apple store and j. crew to name a couple.
anyway, keep us updated and tell us how you like it when you visit.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,002,226 times
I LOVE the malls......all the kids go there to hang out and never go to places I like to hang out.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,902,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
Other cities in the plains area like Omaha and DesMoines..... What no Tulsa! lol Heck Tulsa beats those places
Lol, I'm not sure what category Tulsa is "beating" Omaha in. Beating them by a few people maybe, but other than that???

Anyway, for the OP, I lived in OKC for a few months recently. As for differences, it definitely has a more southern feel to it, seems very spread out compared to Omaha, and the climate is much more temperate.

The overall feel is not much different. They are all Plains cities who love their suburban sprawl and strip malls.

I would be more partial to OKC's downtown (maybe I'm Omaha'd out, but I do prefer OKC's DT.

You'll definitely enjoy OKC, it's a huge step up from Lincoln. (even know you will have to be around them Sooner weirdo’s)

Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,763,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
Other cities in the plains area like Omaha and DesMoines..... What no Tulsa! lol Heck Tulsa beats those places and OKC is bigger than Tulsa, and is further along on its downtown renewal efforts. Tulsa has PF Changs, Joes Crabshack, Cheesecake Factory, Macy's and your other typical everyday, suburban sprawl type stuff, lol ,,,, No Nordstroms right now,(rumor has it one may be going in the River District) but we got Sacks Fifth Ave and other high end stores,,,and again, Tulsa is smaller than OKC so obviously they are going to have most of that stuff and more. But I know, Tulsa doesnt count, we dont exist. We are just a tiny, worthless cow town. I am not bitter. :-P
Omaha is actually further along than you would think. You shouldnt feel that Tulsa is a tiny, worthless city. Tulsa has a lot going for it right now, but Omaha might have the edge in development etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City