Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that Oklahoma city downtown should build the new skyscraper?
Yes they should 25 71.43%
No they should'nt 7 20.00%
undecided 3 8.57%
yes but they should spend less money on it. 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM

559 posts, read 1,759,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaArtist View Post
Well I dont think Downtown OKC should build a new skyscraper. Its not the place of some downtown organization, I am guessing its taxpayer supported?, to be in the business of building skyscrapers. Thats just odd.
no sir. devon, with their own money, is building it. not taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM

559 posts, read 1,759,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Who will be filling those multiple office buildings once Devon vacates? Honest question.
i understand american fidelity might be looking for a downtown residence. they obviously wont fill up every vacant building devon leaves but its a start. then again who knows who else is looking? those vacancies are still 4yrs away.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM

258 posts, read 1,015,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
no sir. devon, with their own money, is building it. not taxpayers.
I realize that. I am just making fun of the absurd title of the thread, the absurd wording of the poll, and the people who are trying to seriously reply lol.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:03 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,764,032 times
Quote:
Now now, lets not get carried away. I will vote in the poll and allow OKC to build this one taller than those in Tulsa. (its about time you all had the tallest, been an embarassment for so long that you didnt have it ;-P ) But dont go getting too all full of yourselves and build any more. Your just allowed to have this one. We will still have the second tallest, third tallest, fourth tallest, fifth tallest.. ;-)
OKC held the title from 1931 (or earlier) to 1973 with two of the tallest buildings west of the Missi at the time. 1931-1973 OKC. 1973-2012 Tulsa. Looks like history will repeat itself.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
OKC held the title from 1931 (or earlier) to 1973 with two of the tallest buildings west of the Missi at the time. 1931-1973 OKC. 1973-2012 Tulsa. Looks like history will repeat itself.

It shouldn't have to repeat itself. OKC is the larger city and the capitol. Its been an embarrassment that it hasn't always had the tallest buildings. Glad to see they are finally rectifying the long pitiful shame they have had to endure. Its even been a hinderance of sorts for Tulsa. I have spoken with people who have only been to OKC. They rightly assume that since Tulsa is the smaller, second, city,,, that its skyline should be even less impressive with smaller buildings, that it wont look as nice, etc. Many people from outside the state assume that OKC is going to be the more progressive, nicer, more impressive, etc. etc, city. Which means that if they dont get the best impression of OKC, they immediately think Tulsa will be worse. Thats not good for us. We are sooo glad your finally stepping up to the table, on many fronts, and taking your city up to the par it always should have been. There should never have ever been any contest. What the heck have you been doing with all our tax money down there all these years anyway lol? The better you look, the better, we and the entire rest of the state look. Keep on a truckin OKC, cause it helps us all.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:53 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,764,032 times
Quote:
It shouldn't have to repeat itself. OKC is the larger city and the capitol. Its been an embarrassment that it hasn't always had the tallest buildings. Glad to see they are finally rectifying the long pitiful shame they have had to endure. Its even been a hinderance of sorts for Tulsa. I have spoken with people who have only been to OKC. They rightly assume that since Tulsa is the smaller, second, city,,, that its skyline should be even less impressive with smaller buildings, that it wont look as nice, etc. Many people from outside the state assume that OKC is going to be the more progressive, nicer, more impressive, etc. etc, city. Which means that if they dont get the best impression of OKC, they immediately think Tulsa will be worse. Thats not good for us. We are sooo glad your finally stepping up to the table, on many fronts, and taking your city up to the par it always should have been. There should never have ever been any contest. What the heck have you been doing with all our tax money down there all these years anyway lol? The better you look, the better, we and the entire rest of the state look. Keep on a truckin OKC, cause it helps us all.
Typical Tulsan pride. Anyway, how should someone expect OKC to be better? Its not near anything 'absolutely stunning' like Turkey Hill or riverside, but keep the typical "Its better for our state" or "its about time". Soon OKC will demand the same from Tulsa.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
Tim, there aren't any vacant skyscrapers in OKC. Devon has filled all of the vacant Class A and B office space in OKC. Their goal is to combine all of their employees into one building instead of having them scattered all over downtown. They will run out of room, so they are solving the problem by building a worldclass skyscraper.
I guess that makes sense. I remember a time when there was more vacant office space - maybe I'm living in a time bubble.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Typical Tulsan pride. Anyway, how should someone expect OKC to be better? Its not near anything 'absolutely stunning' like Turkey Hill or riverside, but keep the typical "Its better for our state" or "its about time". Soon OKC will demand the same from Tulsa.

Soon? I expect Tulsa to be bettering itself right now lol. And have joined with people to help try and make it better. But my point wasnt that each city should be bettering itself, thats a given, its that OKC should be better than Tulsa. Its larger in population, is the seat of the state government, has the largest medical and college institutions in and near it, state museums and attractions, etc. etc. etc. I know OKC doesnt have the natual beauty that Tulsa does, but that doesnt mean the main streets that everyone drives down cant be very beautiful, the downtown beautiful, the capitol area beautiful, the river you have been working on, your buildings, sidewalks, neighborhoods, shopping areas, etc. You can have a very beautiful city. There is no reason, other than bad choices, why OKC should not be better than Tulsa in every respect. There is no real reason that shouldnt be the natural assumption, and that assumption should be true.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 AM

498 posts, read 1,607,860 times
True, TulsaArtist. But I think that Oklahoma City has natural beauty, just not the type that masses prefer. I LOVE the open prairie, where the sky stretches as far and the eye can see. And that canvas that is the sky changes every day. To me, mountains stay the same. And they block my sunset. So do these damn 80ft. tall pine trees here in The Woodlands, TX. Everyone loves them. Not me. If they fall during a hurricane, your house is a goner. And, they block my sunsets.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM

266 posts, read 972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
True, TulsaArtist. But I think that Oklahoma City has natural beauty, just not the type that masses prefer. I LOVE the open prairie, where the sky stretches as far and the eye can see. And that canvas that is the sky changes every day. To me, mountains stay the same. And they block my sunset. So do these damn 80ft. tall pine trees here in The Woodlands, TX. Everyone loves them. Not me. If they fall during a hurricane, your house is a goner. And, they block my sunsets.
I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City