Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM

423 posts, read 1,932,504 times

Advertisements

it's a massive city though- where does the hipster/educated crowd usually congregate? I'm looking for the music/arts scene around OKC. Where are the best places to walk around some interesting shops, hang out at a cafe, go to the park and throw a frisbee, etc? Is this asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,521,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
it's a massive city though- where does the hipster/educated crowd usually congregate? I'm looking for the music/arts scene around OKC. Where are the best places to walk around some interesting shops, hang out at a cafe, go to the park and throw a frisbee, etc? Is this asking too much?
Not at all.

Check out Deep Deuce and Paseo. One of my favorite coffee dives is in the Paseo District.

You'll do fine and welcome to Oklahoma.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,258,042 times
Quote:
Tulsa...

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,231,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Tulsa...

Disc Golf Courses in Oklahoma | Disc Golf Scene

Tulsa Disc Sports Association - Tulsa Disc Golf Courses

Old 01-28-2014, 11:05 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,231,021 times
Seriously though. I while I do prefer Tulsa for the kinds of issues raised here, Oklahoma City does not seem nearly as bad or as hostile as is being portrayed here. I don't care where you are from, for the most part you will be happy and accepted in Oklahoma City. You just might find more people you have things in common with in Tulsa. JohnSpecial and his friends (other handles?) are not the norm.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM

60 posts, read 105,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Seriously though. I while I do prefer Tulsa for the kinds of issues raised here, Oklahoma City does not seem nearly as bad or as hostile as is being portrayed here. I don't care where you are from, for the most part you will be happy and accepted in Oklahoma City. You just might find more people you have things in common with in Tulsa. JohnSpecial and his friends (other handles?) are not the norm.
Swake, would you say Tulsa is more transplant friendly than OKC? I have found OKC to have somewhat of a small town mentality in that everyone grew up together and therefore cliques are difficult to break into, especially as a post-college twentysomething. Then again, I've heard people say the same things about Tulsa.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,432,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
I find Johnspecial and his likes probably do not like OKC being represented as something it is not in the hopes of trapping people that think the same way as many of the argumentative left leaning posters here do to move in only to be very shocked. The city is not progressive in the least bit and if you happen to think that way you will probably be ostracized on a daily basis.
Are you serious? Just because people don't agree with your conceited and unsubstantiated notions doesn't make them argumentative or part of the left. I'm as conservative as they come, and you make me embarrassed as a conservative when you ignore all the evidence that posters here have given you and retreat back to your ad hominems and trusty labels.

Let's represent OKC and Oklahoma as something it is:

Oklahoma has a divorce rate 3 times that of Massachusetts
http://www.state.ok.us/osfdocs/budget/table25.pdf

Oklahoma City has the 9th highest crime rate in the country (FBI data)
Fox25 OKC: Oklahoma City ranks 9th worst for crime

Oklahoma City has a high school graduation rate of 59%
http://www.broadprize.org/ddr/OK_OKLAHOMACITY.pdf

Let's deal with the facts on the ground and not what you wish to see.

Last edited by Guineas; 01-28-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM

423 posts, read 1,932,504 times
I was shocked when I moved here and went to the grocery store- it was 9% tax on groceries! (first state I've been to that taxes groceries and other essentials, such a high rate as well). Needless to say I started going to the Air Force Base to buy all my groceries. I too had assumed OK was fiscally conservative. It's kind of weird because I can buy things from amazon with no taxes. I feel like the state is doing a huge disservice to local storeowners.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,258,042 times
Quote:
I was shocked when I moved here and went to the grocery store- it was 9% tax on groceries! (first state I've been to that taxes groceries and other essentials, such a high rate as well). Needless to say I started going to the Air Force Base to buy all my groceries. I too had assumed OK was fiscally conservative. It's kind of weird because I can buy things from amazon with no taxes. I feel like the state is doing a huge disservice to local storeowners.
And on top if all that, groceries are high in Oklahoma. I spent 3 months in Irving Texas last year and very surprised how much cheaper groceries were there, and then no tax either.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,460,081 times
The Oklahoma Gazette used to publish various art gallery openings of new exhibits and certain galleries often attracted large crowds. I used to be active in the art scene, but not now. Receptions used to be at the Kirkpatrick Center at the upstairs gallery. Perhaps that no longer happens, but it used to be the place to be. I've exhibited in several galleries around the city, but, only occasionally since being so far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City