Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 AM

5,549 posts, read 9,560,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
If you think "meeting someone" is more difficult than living with someone then I think you may be in for a very rude awakening. Be genuine and learn what your tastes are and how to have a happy, rewarding life whether it is alone or with a partner. Your happiness will no more be completed by another person than by the place you live.

In my opinion letting your career define your life is a real mistake. We don't really live in the era of careers any longer. Pick where you want to live and figure out a way to pay your bills and enjoy doing it while you're at it. You get to my age and look back and you realize that you've really had many careers and none of them are nearly as important as they seemed at the time.

Learning what you do like and don't and then doing something about it - for yourself - not for someone else - that's a great place to start. So you know you "hate" Oklahoma so begin there.

Very best wishes whatever you choose (emphasis on you choose).
>>>>>
If you think "meeting someone" is more difficult than living with someone then I think you may be in for a very rude awakening.
<<<<<

Don't tell my wife!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,043,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
If you think "meeting someone" is more difficult than living with someone then I think you may be in for a very rude awakening.
<<<<<

Don't tell my wife!
who is she trying to meet?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 AM

533 posts, read 1,717,273 times
ATLGuy39 dislikes Oklahoma because:
1. He can't find a single woman without child for relationship
2. Weather is disagreeable to him
3. He finds it religious
4. He finds it politically conservative
5. He finds conservatives to be small minded
6. He finds people who live here aren't widely travelled
7. He finds cliques unwilling to let him in

But he says if he did "find someone" then he might enjoy living in Edmond.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,312,784 times
One thing I will say is OKC is a hard city to be an introvert in, and I think that may be part of ATLGuy39's problem. I agree with most of the things he says to an extent as they are part of the overall culture here, but with effort, you can find people to associate with who aren't these things. It just takes a little more effort here than it does most places.

ATLGuy39, what part of the city do you live and go out in? Personally, I find NW OKC and S OKC/Moore to be the most like the stereotype you've laid out. Edmond also has that but it isn't quite as bad there as its the most transient. The inner core is the most diverse, most liberal, and a lot closer to the kind of environment you are probably used to. It's not going to be anything close to Atlanta or even Charlotte, but with effort you should be able to be happier than it appears you are.

I am not the biggest fan of OKC but I have been putting in a lot of effort lately and am coming to find out it isn't quite as bad as I thought it was at first glance.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Introverts are people who are energized by being alone and left to their own thoughts and purposes. Conversely they lose energy when around people.

The way it is being used in this discussion is to indicate shyness which is actually a form of anxiety.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM

778 posts, read 2,331,725 times
Quote:
3. He finds it religious

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that statement to be rather ironic.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,818,305 times
Quote:
3. He finds it religious

Not accurate at all, particularly #3, 4, 5, and 6. You sort of got the rest of it. Wrong on the last comment. I don't mind religion and am conservative myself. I'm not an extreme conservative and don't hate people if they did vote for Obama. I'm also not prejudice and there seems to be a good amount of that here as well. So replace one of the 4 you got wrong with that.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,818,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
One thing I will say is OKC is a hard city to be an introvert in, and I think that may be part of ATLGuy39's problem. I agree with most of the things he says to an extent as they are part of the overall culture here, but with effort, you can find people to associate with who aren't these things. It just takes a little more effort here than it does most places.

ATLGuy39, what part of the city do you live and go out in? Personally, I find NW OKC and S OKC/Moore to be the most like the stereotype you've laid out. Edmond also has that but it isn't quite as bad there as its the most transient. The inner core is the most diverse, most liberal, and a lot closer to the kind of environment you are probably used to. It's not going to be anything close to Atlanta or even Charlotte, but with effort you should be able to be happier than it appears you are.

I am not the biggest fan of OKC but I have been putting in a lot of effort lately and am coming to find out it isn't quite as bad as I thought it was at first glance.
Thanks for that response. I am introverted and shy as well, which works against me twice as much. But I make one hell of an effort. I'm in meetup groups, go to church, do social things with coworkers, etc. Its just been difficult to adjust to the culture. I'm not extremely conservative either, though its how I vote. This state is extreme right, which is fine, but people are way more opinionated on politics than I am.

I live in NW OKC, which I don't mind. Its convenient for everything, particularly work. Penn Square mall area works well. Bricktown is too much of a party atmosphere and way overpriced. Anyway, I continue to make the effort, regardless of how I feel about the city in general.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Not accurate at all, particularly #3, 4, 5, and 6. You sort of got the rest of it. Wrong on the last comment. I don't mind religion and am conservative myself. I'm not an extreme conservative and don't hate people if they did vote for Obama. I'm also not prejudice and there seems to be a good amount of that here as well. So replace one of the 4 you got wrong with that.
I didn't think I was terribly far off on understanding your criticism of Oklahomans and the summary I prepared and posted; but, I returned to your post to check myself. I am including below the portions of your post that led to my thinking.

Quote:
Other things which you may not like, but bother me less, is its very religious here.
Hence, my "3. He finds it religious" but perhaps I should have stated it "He finds it very religious."

Quote:
But with that comes extreme conservatism and some small minded thinking.
Hence, my "4. He finds it politically conservative" and my "#5. He finds conservatives to be small minded"; although, I can see that you might prefer "He finds the politics to be extremely conservative" and "he finds extremely conservative people to be small minded."

Quote:
People who live here are mostly all from here. So you get these tight knit groups of people who don't really care to make new friends. They're friendly, but good luck being invited into their little circle. They also don't know anything else and think OK is the best place in the world to live.
Hence, my "6. He finds people who live here aren't widely traveled."

I am heartened that I at least understood you regarding #1, #2, and #7 - more or less anyway.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,312,784 times
Quote:
Thanks for that response. I am introverted and shy as well, which works against me twice as much. But I make one hell of an effort. I'm in meetup groups, go to church, do social things with coworkers, etc. Its just been difficult to adjust to the culture. I'm not extremely conservative either, though its how I vote. This state is extreme right, which is fine, but people are way more opinionated on politics than I am.

I live in NW OKC, which I don't mind. Its convenient for everything, particularly work. Penn Square mall area works well. Bricktown is too much of a party atmosphere and way overpriced. Anyway, I continue to make the effort, regardless of how I feel about the city in general.
Yeah NW OKC is nice and very convenient to stuff, it just tends to have the most concentration of the culture we both aren't too fond of especially north of 63rd. I go to church in Edmond now and am liking it much more than when I went in NW OKC. I agree with you about the politics. I actually vote Republican but lean libertarian and don't really get worked up about the social issues some people try to inject into every conversation. I tend to find less of that in the more transient areas of OKC. NW OKC, bottom line, is heavily oriented toward the wife, 2.5 kids, golden retriever, and white picket fence lifestyle. Its also not very transient. As for where you hang out, if you don't like Bricktown try Midtown or the Paseo. Those districts are quite a bit more low key than Bricktown. Bricktown is very oriented to either the 18-25 crowd or country people. Most of the more urban minded people in OKC don't frequent Bricktown as much as the other districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City