Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,302,469 times

Advertisements

Everything in every state is taxed but many taxes are not as obvious as gas and beer taxes. TX for instance has 62/63 taxes plus some jurisdictions add an additional personal property tax. Also while five states do not tax S.S. and pension benefits there is a catch. While some of the others do not tax S.S. benefits, pension benefits are taxed. But I digress.

Post high school education and low real estate taxes draw new residents to OK. Most do not understand OK is two states. The Eastern half that includes Tulsa is leafy, green with beautiful lakes, high cliffs, rolling hills, history before statehood, CW history and the settlement of early tribes. After one leaves Tulsa and joins turns West on I-40 to meet OKC the scenery changes ever so slightly. But between OKC and Shamrock, TX., the landscape gradually changes to pumpjacks, red earth, and barren land to mountainscape and the beginnings of our Southwestern United States.

OK has two large cities with a total population of two million or more. Grand Lake and NE OK is advertised as a retirement area. It has a demographic of 80,000 residents spread over an area of roughly 900 square miles. In this area are many small towns separated by water, mountains, farms, forests, state parks, and highways. You can see the stars at night hear the fish break water, hear the frog croak, and watch the wildlife come to drink. This is rural Oklahoma. You can't catch a cab, or a bus; it doesn't exit. The most common transportation is a pickup with a dog and a shotgun in it; don't mess with either.

If one is from a densely populated state or town of convenience where Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is as accessible as tony uptown shopping you will be disappointed in spades, frustrated and regretful. If you want the stars at night and quite move rural. If the city life is best there are two choice. Tulsa and OKC. Neither one is LA, Chicago, SF, or NYC nor do they offer those types of conveniences.

As a whole OK is okay, It is no worse than its peer states, but it is certainly better than some. Moving is expensive. Chose wisely and be patient. It takes time to acclimate to a new place and a new life. I lived in OK for a number of years before family issues forced me to leave. In terms of everyday living expenses I really see little difference between Ok(in the cost of gasoline, utilities, insurance, groceries or mortgage vs rent) and any other state I lived in. The biggest difference I notice are in the cost of tobacco and liquor, and the distance between me and larger cities (125-200 miles) for the shopping spree and entertainment. I prefer Tulsa to KC, St, Louis, of DFW. It is a beautiful town with excellent restaurants and shopping options.

This is not the Garden of Eden. It's Oklahoma. There is no "best" or "worst" state. It's a gimmick that sells magazines. Best and worst are evil twins: what you love vs what you don't. Come and enjoy the simple live in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Everything in every state is taxed but many taxes are not as obvious as gas and beer taxes. TX for instance has 62/63 taxes plus some jurisdictions add an additional personal property tax. Also while five states do not tax S.S. and pension benefits there is a catch. While some of the others do not tax S.S. benefits, pension benefits are taxed. But I digress.

Post high school education and low real estate taxes draw new residents to OK. Most do not understand OK is two states. The Eastern half that includes Tulsa is leafy, green with beautiful lakes, high cliffs, rolling hills, history before statehood, CW history and the settlement of early tribes. After one leaves Tulsa and joins turns West on I-40 to meet OKC the scenery changes ever so slightly. But between OKC and Shamrock, TX., the landscape gradually changes to pumpjacks, red earth, and barren land to mountainscape and the beginnings of our Southwestern United States.

OK has two large cities with a total population of two million or more. Grand Lake and NE OK is advertised as a retirement area. It has a demographic of 80,000 residents spread over an area of roughly 900 square miles. In this area are many small towns separated by water, mountains, farms, forests, state parks, and highways. You can see the stars at night hear the fish break water, hear the frog croak, and watch the wildlife come to drink. This is rural Oklahoma. You can't catch a cab, or a bus; it doesn't exit. The most common transportation is a pickup with a dog and a shotgun in it; don't mess with either.

If one is from a densely populated state or town of convenience where Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is as accessible as tony uptown shopping you will be disappointed in spades, frustrated and regretful. If you want the stars at night and quite move rural. If the city life is best there are two choice. Tulsa and OKC. Neither one is LA, Chicago, SF, or NYC nor do they offer those types of conveniences.

As a whole OK is okay, It is no worse than its peer states, but it is certainly better than some. Moving is expensive. Chose wisely and be patient. It takes time to acclimate to a new place and a new life. I lived in OK for a number of years before family issues forced me to leave. In terms of everyday living expenses I really see little difference between Ok(in the cost of gasoline, utilities, insurance, groceries or mortgage vs rent) and any other state I lived in. The biggest difference I notice are in the cost of tobacco and liquor, and the distance between me and larger cities (125-200 miles) for the shopping spree and entertainment. I prefer Tulsa to KC, St, Louis, of DFW. It is a beautiful town with excellent restaurants and shopping options.

This is not the Garden of Eden. It's Oklahoma. There is no "best" or "worst" state. It's a gimmick that sells magazines. Best and worst are evil twins: what you love vs what you don't. Come and enjoy the simple live in Oklahoma.
To the bold above, that's what I'm talking about right there, Pardner!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,302,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
To the bold above, that's what I'm talking about right there, Pardner!
Yup! That gnarly old hound will teach you the new meaning of 'personal property'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City