Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

465 posts, read 475,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You really need to learn how to push the "Quote" button. Otherwise, no one has any idea who you're responding to or to what point.
No one else cares what we or anyone else has to write about Columbus. You are alone in your views and interests with respect to Columbus. My comments are not addressed to anyone else because there isn't anyone else to address them to. No need to carefully contextualize my comments as if there is some reasoned and varied discussion of columbus here. There isn't and never will be. No one in columbus, except for you, cares enough to participate in such as discussion. That is Columbus' greatest weakness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 11:26 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,106,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
No one else cares what we or anyone else has to write about Columbus. You are alone in your views and interests with respect to Columbus. My comments are not addressed to anyone else because there isn't anyone else to address them to. No need to carefully contextualize my comments as if there is some reasoned and varied discussion of columbus here. There isn't and never will be. No one in columbus, except for you, cares enough to participate in such as discussion. That is Columbus' greatest weakness.
So in a thread titled "Cincinnati vs Columbus", no one is interested in actually talking about or comparing Columbus to Cincinnati or anywhere else? Interesting logic there. I didn't even start the thread, so clearly someone else was interested in the discussion other than myself, and 19 subsequent pages goes against that supposed lack of interest as well.

And my post about quoting was because, so very often, your posts offer little more than ramblings that have little connection to the thread topics or anything being discussed within them. If you at least were courteous enough to quote, it would go a long way in trying to decipher any point your are trying to make, provided you are actually making one at all, which, imo, is often in doubt.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So in a thread titled "Cincinnati vs Columbus", no one is interested in actually talking about or comparing Columbus to Cincinnati or anywhere else? Interesting logic there. I didn't even start the thread, so clearly someone else was interested in the discussion other than myself, and 19 subsequent pages goes against that supposed lack of interest as well.

And my post about quoting was because, so very often, your posts offer little more than ramblings that have little connection to the thread topics or anything being discussed within them. If you at least were courteous enough to quote, it would go a long way in trying to decipher any point your are trying to make, provided you are actually making one at all, which, imo, is often in doubt.
And yet, almost none of the comments are actually about Columbus. There is more discussion of Cleveland than of Columbus in this thread. I know from my years of splitting my time between Columbus and Cincinnati that this lack of interest in Columbus is real and not unique to these forums; and so do you, if you are honest.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
And yet, almost none of the comments are actually about Columbus. There is more discussion of Cleveland than of Columbus in this thread. I know from my years of splitting my time between Columbus and Cincinnati that this lack of interest in Columbus is real and not unique to these forums; and so do you, if you are honest.
Seriously, none of the comments were about Columbus? I just went through the first 11 pages of the thread and got a rough count on how many posts mentioned which cities.

Columbus: 98x
Cincinnati: 98x
Cleveland: 20x
Dayton: 10x
Dallas: 5x
Chicago: 1x
Philly: 1x
Atlanta: 1x
Various places in Kentucky: 2x

The posts about Columbus were both positive and negative, but the vast majority were clearly making comparisons between the two cities. Cleveland largely was mentioned because people assumed this was a 3-C comparison topic. But hey, I know how much of an aversion you have to factual information, so I wouldn't expect you to drop your silly argument.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 PM

I know how much of an aversion you have to intellectual arguments, but I'll hazard one anyway. Aside from the fact that I don't believe you actually conducted such a count or that it accurately reflects the actual number of times these words appeared in this forum, even if you were preposterous enough to do so, such an effort is the equivalent of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. The appearance of the word 'columbus' does not mean that anything meaningful is being written about Columbus. The amount of discussion of columbus itself is very limited in this thread as in this overall forum. People don't care columbus as a singular entity. They care about their individual interest in columbus. Theses are vastly different things. The question isn't why people don't care about columbus as a place, its why anyone, meaning you, does care.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I know how much of an aversion you have to intellectual arguments, but I'll hazard one anyway. Aside from the fact that I don't believe you actually conducted such a count or that it accurately reflects the actual number of times these words appeared in this forum, even if you were preposterous enough to do so, such an effort is the equivalent of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. The appearance of the word 'columbus' does not mean that anything meaningful is being written about Columbus. The amount of discussion of columbus itself is very limited in this thread as in this overall forum. People don't care columbus as a singular entity. They care about their individual interest in columbus. Theses are vastly different things. The question isn't why people don't care about columbus as a place, its why anyone, meaning you, does care.
I think I'm pretty well known for going out of my way to find statistics, so it wouldn't exactly be an out of character move for me to go through 11 pages of this thread and count how many times cities were mentioned. Also, you set yourself up to easily be proven wrong by making a ridiculous claim. I felt obliged to go ahead and take up an easy challenge.

Your obvious squirming in this post is amusing.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:16 AM

I see you've taken my advice and stopped hiding the pleasure you take in the discomfort of others, even if that discomfort is imagined. More importantly, which one of my claims is ridiculous? That no one cares about Columbus or that you count words on forums?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM

"finding" statistics isn't the issue. Using them is. No statistic speaks for itself and no statistic exists in isolation for other statistics. Statistics are human creations and can be manipulated in all sorts of intentional and unintentional ways. Creating statistics is the means to the end of human understanding, not the end in itself.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I see you've taken my advice and stopped hiding the pleasure you take in the discomfort of others, even if that discomfort is imagined. More importantly, which one of my claims is ridiculous? That no one cares about Columbus or that you count words on forums?
Ok

Old 12-22-2011, 01:56 PM

right on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio