Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,567 times

Advertisements

We're considering relocating to the Findlay/Tiffin area and I'm looking for a straight answer as to what the best schools are in that area. Can anyone tell me? Also, we are horse enthusiasts - are there equestrian activities/shows/events/centers in that area? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM

310 posts, read 1,209,792 times
Default Findlay move

Here's a link that can help you with school information.

GreatSchools.net

Good luck on the move!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:48 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followinthejob View Post
We're considering relocating to the Findlay/Tiffin area and I'm looking for a straight answer as to what the best schools are in that area. Can anyone tell me? Also, we are horse enthusiasts - are there equestrian activities/shows/events/centers in that area? Thanks!!!
There are threads in this forum that have the school topic discussed fairly well. I can remember one with ImaMichigander not too long ago. The search tool in this forum will pull up those threads.

As far as equestrian information goes, there is an Equine Studies (http://www.findlay.edu/academics/colleges/cosc/academicprograms/undergraduate/EQST/default.htm - broken link) program and the UF Western farm is not too far from the corner of 68 & 37. The English Farm's not to far from Hmy Twp 204 and CR-201. I believe they have horse shows during the year. You'd have to call them out there to find out if the public's invited.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,225 times
As Art mentioned, we looked around a bit. I know mostly about St. Michael the Archangel, as that is where we are going to send the kids. We are moving into a neighborhood called Lakeview Park and it seems like everyone's kids go to St. Mike's-- as do the insurance agent's and every other person we've met.

St. Mike's has 600 kids pre-K to 8th grade, with about 3 sections of every class. We just got a letter telling us to look for a new family welcome package that will be delivered in the next few week to our home by a mentor family. And we'll go to the new family/mentor bbq in a few weeks too- just before school starts, so that my child will have a chance to meet some new kids before the 1st day. All of that seems really nice, since we are not from Ohio and the move has been pretty trying a concept for me. (You should know that school starts MUCH earlier in Findlay than we are used to in MI. In Michigan, we go back to school, by law, after Labor Day. In Findlay, we start on August 19th! That might be important if you are considering a move soon.)

No catholic high school in Findlay. Apparently most of St. Mike's kids continue on to St. Wendolyn in Fostria. But they bus.

I have actually been to Tiffin, but not for long. The gentleman that is supervising the projects that we're having done before we move in is from Tiffin. He has a daughter that teaches at the catholic school there-- who's name is escaping me at the moment. He spoke very highly of the school. I seem to think that that school is more of what we are used to Southeastern MI, in terms of size and resources.

I think that there are a ton of riding opportunites and I think that I will have more info about that once we move. I put some feelers out with the folks that my husband works with for our 7 year old, who really enjoyed some basic lessons last summer.

If you have more questions, I will be happy to help in anyway. And I might actually be way more useful to you in about a week-- as we make the move on Tuesday!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,567 times
Thanks for the info, Ima. I'm also originallyfrom SW Michigan, although haven't lived there since my high school days. I grew up near a small town called Watervliet and went to a Catholic high school in St. Joseph.

Why did you decide on Catholic schools vs. public? Did you find something concerning with the public school systems? What town are you settling in?

I also have a 7 yr old daughter who loves horses and has been riding since she was 3. She has really started to do a lot of shows (western events) around here (IA) and I want to find the same thing for her there. Do you know of any horsemen's clubs, etc that put on shows throughout the year?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 AM

There seemed to be absolutely nothing wrong with the Findlay public schools. We were just pretty sure out of the gate that we wanted Catholic-- 12 years of Catholic school does that to you when you have kids. Seemingly there are city schools and county schools, something that I wasn't familiar with. I kept trying to make the county schools into what we have in MI as charter schools. They are not. Apparently the concept is that small towns in a county-- with school buildings in their city-- share a common cirriculum. I thought one person we met said that her child was in 2nd grade in a local county school and was learning Chinese or Japanese. That doesn't happen from where I'm from in MI....

For a Catholic school, they have a seperate gym, cafferia and auditorium. They have a band-- in grade school???-- and a couple of choirs. They had a lot of resources ie, speech therapist, in-house tutors, etc, that our tiny school of 200 pre-k through 8 had to share with the public district that our building resided in.

Oh yeah, and if you live in Findlay, you only have one choice if you want Catholic schooling-- and it is St. Mike's. Makes the decision easier.

As for riding, I don't have enough info to share yet. But I do hope to have more in the next few weeks. My kiddo is looking for basic lessons, she is NOT show quality or ability and sounded like she didn't want to be when she took lessons last year. She just liked it. Sounds like lot sof people have horses though....

You are welcome to message me if you'd like and I'm happy to share whatever I know. It's a Michigan thing, I think!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
You are welcome to message me if you'd like and I'm happy to share whatever I know. It's a Michigan thing, I think!
With all of the information I've put out there for everyone, I would politely disagree with that statement.

Regardless, I just wanted to let you know that I was the one that gave you rep this morning. I should've tagged it, but it happens.

The thing is, if people would use that search function, they would find very similar Q's & A's much, much quicker, and then can get more specific if they can think of anything else. It doesn't make much sense.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM

Art, you are the man when it comes to Findlay! I freely offer that up! In fact, I was at the Main Street Deli-- upon your suggestion from a long time ago-- and was actually mentioning you to the owner! (In addition to my saying you like her restaurant, we discussed the guy in the kiss make-up that you shared awhile back!) You aren't just a virtual entity to me-- you are mention worthy in the real world too!

I have always appreciated everything that you have to share! If I offended, many apologies....

If I should have done something specific in the message, like quoting you or something, I don't know how to do that! So apologies again!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
Art, you are the man when it comes to Findlay! I freely offer that up! In fact, I was at the Main Street Deli-- upon your suggestion from a long time ago-- and was actually mentioning you to the owner! (In addition to my saying you like her restaurant, we discussed the guy in the kiss make-up that you shared awhile back!) You aren't just a virtual entity to me-- you are mention worthy in the real world too!

I have always appreciated everything that you have to share! If I offended, many apologies....

If I should have done something specific in the message, like quoting you or something, I don't know how to do that! So apologies again!
Ahh, Elaine's a great lady. Funny as all get out. In fact, all the workers at the MSD are great people. We both know each other, but she wouldn't have the slightest clue who I am by the SN.

No, no, you didn't offend me, and there's no need to apologize. I was just giving you a little bit of a hard time. I tend to do that with people I like. It's just the nature of the beast. The next time you're downtown, give Wilson's a spin, if you like hamburgers. If you like wine/beer, try the Wine Merchant across the street. Also, consider Dietsch's on West Main Cross (from Main Street Deli, head towards the Courthouse, then left on W. Main Cross, and down about four blocks), if you like chocolate/ice cream. I may have just repeated myself from a while back, but they're some of the things I patron.

I was just puzzled why the guy run the search, as it would've been way quicker. Not to mention drive-by posters tend not to stick around and help out the forum, and they're lousy tippers. That's why I gave you rep, because it was very helpful.

If I'm not mistaken, you're move's fairly soon. May it go smoothly, and don't let those moving companies give you any guff.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:23 PM

Elaine was very pleased to hear that her FABULOUS deli was getting hyped on line by a mysterious stranger! Yum on the soup and sandwiches!

My other extreme favorite is the Bistro. Sam is the nicest guy.... And the food. Ahhhhh!

Have sampled the local chocolate at an event in Bluffton and it is VERY good. And that is coming from someone who loves Saunder's hot fudge and doesn't bother with anything else. Do you have Saunder's in OH? Also my husband and I were just wondering about A& W. Do you have them? And White Castle? I am pretty sure that that is a Michigan thing.

Our mortgage lady, whom I adore, also mentioned Wilson's. We haven't tried it yet. I was in Findlay today checking out our progress at the house and was sad to only grab Burger King in Bowling Green on the drive down, as we didn't have time to stop elsewhere.

Now the Red Pig Inn.... What is your take Art? We've been twice and were pleasantly surprised to find a much better experience the second time around....

I am pleased, too, that I can report that I have a lovely stylist in Findlay! Things are falling into place....

As for the movers, we have a nice group out of Fremont. They have been most pleasant thus far, but we'll see how much they like me after a 24,000 lb. move. And guff? Me???? Never. I don't take it from many....

I'm happy to share what I know-- which is growing each day.... Like daycare. I've looked into it and have found it to be mch more cost effective than in Metro Detroit....

And really, to our original poster, Art is a TREMENDOUSLY valuable resource. He knows all things Findlay and has been helpful on many occassions since I joined the forum in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio