Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 07:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason6166441192
No he doesn't. Nothing is downtown. Everything is spread out. The airport is a good central location to deal with masses of people coming and going. The travel infrastructure is there, rental car is there, long-term parking is there. Putting the train downtown is stupid if you are trying to attract a business traveler.
Not sure what downtown you're referring to but in Toledo alone for example there is the HQ for Owens Corning, Libbey Glass and Promedica Health, the regional HQ for Fifth Third Bank and dozens of other mid-size companies ranging from law firms to financial services.

Detroit has a revitalized downtown business sector that includes the HQ for General Motors, Compuware, Little Ceasars and Quicken Loans plus principal offices for Chrysler, Fifth Third Bank, Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Ernst & Young. The Detroit Lions play at downtown's Ford Field along with the MLB Tigers at Comerica Park and the NHL Red Wings at Little Ceasars Arena, the Detroit Pistons from the NBA and the campus for Wayne State university.

Cleveland has the HQ for Sherwin Williams and Huntington Bank, regional offices for PNC Bank and Key Bank, many large law firms, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland Aquarium, Great Lakes Science Center, Progressive Field (MLB Guardians), Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse (NBA Cavaliers) and Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Columbus has from its new station to be built at the Columbus Convention Center close proximity to Nationwide Insurance HQ, Ohio State University's main campus and the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets arena as well as many other highrise occupants.

Cincinnati has the HQ for Proctor and Gamble, Scripps Media and Kroger to name just a few corporate offices plus the Cincinnati Bengals stadium, Cincinnati Reds ballpark and the Cincinnati Convention Center.

Apparently the growth aspect sailed over your head. Rail transit hubs in each of these cities will attract further commercial development ranging from corporate offices and hotels to restaurants and retail. This is truly huge for Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure what downtown you're referring to but in Toledo alone for example there is the HQ for Owens Corning, Libbey Glass and Promedica Health, the regional HQ for Fifth Third Bank and dozens of other mid-size companies ranging from law firms to financial services.

Detroit has a revitalized downtown business sector that includes the HQ for General Motors, Compuware, Little Ceasars and Quicken Loans plus principal offices for Chrysler, Fifth Third Bank, Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Ernst & Young. The Detroit Lions play at downtown's Ford Field along with the MLB Tigers at Comerica Park and the NHL Red Wings at Little Ceasars Arena, the Detroit Pistons from the NBA and the campus for Wayne State university.

Cleveland has the HQ for Sherwin Williams and Huntington Bank, regional offices for PNC Bank and Key Bank, many large law firms, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland Aquarium, Great Lakes Science Center, Progressive Field (MLB Guardians), Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse (NBA Cavaliers) and Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Columbus has from its new station to be built at the Columbus Convention Center close proximity to Nationwide Insurance HQ, Ohio State University's main campus and the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets arena as well as many other highrise occupants.

Cincinnati has the HQ for Proctor and Gamble, Scripps Media and Kroger to name just a few corporate offices plus the Cincinnati Bengals stadium, Cincinnati Reds ballpark and the Cincinnati Convention Center.

Apparently the growth aspect sailed over your head. Rail transit hubs in each of these cities will attract further commercial development ranging from corporate offices and hotels to restaurants and retail. This is truly huge for Ohio.
Sorry, but I think PerryMason makes a great point or two.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please explain those points which in my opinion make no sense in regard to current infrastructure and/or potential growth.

Old 02-19-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Please explain those points which in my opinion make no sense in regard to current infrastructure and/or potential growth.

PerryMason said this:

Quote:
The airport is a good central location to deal with masses of people coming and going. The travel infrastructure is there, rental car is there, long-term parking is there.
I just flew to Ohio and if I were there on business I would have appreciated an Amtrak route to and from the airport. As it was, I had tons of driving to do so I rented a car instead, at the airport. And before you say a person can't drive in those cities, I just drove in Columbus and in Cincinnati. Definitely can be done easily. Heck, I drive in Dallas all the time!

I bet Amtrak did studies. For instance, many of the people but not all the people I traveled with were on business. I flew on the weekend so I am pretty sure more business travelers were flying during the week. Anyway, yeah that's what I wanted to do - struggle with my luggage through downtown Cincinnati, NOT. I say put the Amtrak where the people are and then take it from there. Or take them.

I agree with it so I won't waste any more time defending myself or PerryMason. Sheeze!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-19-2024 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-19-2024, 10:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 520,147 times
Quote:
It's not being cobbled together for the casual suburban traveler, rather the typical business traveler who appreciates traveling into a city center versus a suburban airport location.
Hamilton and Middletown are not suburbs.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:38 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Think about it. You have to go to cincinnati or maybe on a leisure trip. So you get in the car in the morning and go to the train station. Do you want to navigate through downtown streets to get to the train station? Where are you going to park? Is your car going to be safe? Are you going to roll your luggage down a couple of city blocks to get inside the convention center to take the train? When you get to your destination, do you want to pay $400 a night for downtown hotel? Do you want to roll your luggage several city blocks to get to the rental car company? Downtown is not convenient at all. These urbanist dreamers still think it's 1909.

Old 02-19-2024, 11:46 AM

205 posts, read 72,888 times
Quote:
PerryMason said this:

I just flew to Ohio and if I were there on business I would have appreciated an Amtrak route to and from the airport. As it was, I had tons of driving to do so I rented a car instead, at the airport. And before you say a person can't drive in those cities, I just drove in Columbus and in Cincinnati. Definitely can be done easily. Heck, I drive in Dallas all the time!

I bet Amtrak did studies. For instance, many of the people but not all the people I traveled with were on business. I flew on the weekend so I am pretty sure more business travelers were flying during the week. Anyway, yeah that's what I wanted to do - struggle with my luggage through downtown Cincinnati, NOT. I say put the Amtrak where the people are and then take it from there. Or take them.

I agree with it so I won't waste any more time defending myself or PerryMason. Sheeze!
What you are arguing for is local rail, not regional rail. Amtrak is regional. If you want a rail line to and from local airports, you want local rail.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Think about it. You have to go to cincinnati or maybe on a leisure trip. So you get in the car in the morning and go to the train station. Do you want to navigate through downtown streets to get to the train station? Where are you going to park? Is your car going to be safe? Are you going to roll your luggage down a couple of city blocks to get inside the convention center to take the train? When you get to your destination, do you want to pay $400 a night for downtown hotel? Do you want to roll your luggage several city blocks to get to the rental car company? Downtown is not convenient at all. These urbanist dreamers still think it's 1909.
I am agreeing with you basically.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
PerryMason said this:

The overall usage point isn't for travelers coming into Ohio from other states and as already demonstrated on the highly successful Northeast Corridor, focused on intra-state/intra-regional travel. The resident of Cincinnati traveling to Cleveland or Columbus, and any combination within as well in Detroit-Toledo-Cleveland will be the intended beneficiaries or those not allergic to public transit. About a 1/3 of all Americans live in an urban environment so the premise that everyone is inconvenienced by a centralized train station is a bit of a suburban myth, not to mention in a study 98% of all Americans support public transit and would use it over driving.

Old 02-19-2024, 12:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
I am agreeing with you basically.
Oh yeah, I'm not arguing with you, I'm just expanding on my thoughts. If people think through each step that they take to travel out of town, the airport makes the most sense. It also kind of makes sense for the bus depot to be located there.

But these guys have a fantasy of people putting on their suits and their white gloves to take the interurban from Chillicothe into Columbus so they can do some fine shopping at the downtown Lazarus and some fine dining. Those days are gone. At least in columbus, commerce occurs everywhere from Hilliard through Easton for the office work, and a lot of warehousing south of I-70. Downtown has a minority of the happenings compared to the rest of the market.

If you're somebody traveling in town because you have something going on at Honda do you want to have to be stuck downtown and work your way out to marysville given all the friction I just described being downtown causes?

These dreamers need to be realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio