Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 10:05 AM

682 posts, read 414,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Some people jokingly call the city of Hamilton "Hamiltucky" because of the migration of Kentuckians to Hamilton for wartime jobs during WWII. Since the Machine Tool industry comprised a significant amount of its economic base similar to Cincinnati it didn't decline like Middletown when the Steel industry went through a bust period.
So you agree, Hamilton is not as Appalachian-influenced as Middletown or Covington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 05:16 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I’m not sure how Blue Ash fits into the puzzle, but my darling son in law was raised there. He is the youngest of four. They are all successful hard driving businessmen, except for the sister who married one, with no couth whatsoever. I guess you could say that that area breeds folks who are smart, but still might not know,or care which fork to use.

Old 02-04-2024, 05:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,380,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
That's because for one thing, those first places you describe are inner-ring suburbs. Second, Middletown and Hamilton are suburbs because they are still connected to the same suburban complex that stretch all the way down to the anchor city of the metro area, and although the two aforementioned communities are legacy cities in their own right, they have always also been heavily influenced by nearby larger cities. Similar examples are the St. Louis suburbs of Belleville and Alton, the Chicago suburb of Joliet and the Kansas City suburbs of Independence and Liberty, etc.
Not too many Middletown residents classify themselves as suburbanites.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:32 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,243,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Not too many Middletown residents classify themselves as suburbanites.
Your correct...Middltown has some rough and tumble

Old 02-04-2024, 11:46 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,382,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Hamiliton and Middleton are satellite cities of Cincinnati as opposed to being bedroom suburbs. The majority of the northern cities and towns were industrial towns that were developed along the Miami River or the canal because the river provided a cheap energy source, and the canal provided a cheap transportation route for trade.

Hamiliton and Middletown are far enough away from Cincinnati (especially Middletown) where it wouldn't make sense to live in one locale and commute to the other locale on a daily basis.

Hamiliton and Middletown are more similar to Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh in that they were more or less tied to one industry so when that one industry declined those places also declined.

Covington, Newport, Hamilton and Middletown are more Appalachian influenced than Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is a city of neighborhoods, so you had neighborhoods that had a heavy Appalachian presence such as East Price Hill, the East End or the enclaves of Norwood and Elmwood Place. But that is about 5 or 6 neighborhoods out of a total of 50 to 60 neighborhoods in Cincinnati, so the overall influence would probably be in the ballpark of 10% to 20%.
Middletown is not a satellite city....it is a city on the Great Miami River...halfway between Dayton and Hamilton.

Cincinnatians 200 years ago considered Middletown a neighboring city...totally independent of Cincinnati. Ditto for Hamilton.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:53 PM

2,506 posts, read 3,382,046 times
And I know plenty of people who commute to jobs in Cincy from Middletown. That's why Middletown is growing faster than Dayton Hamilton, Springfield, Covington and Cincinnati...

Location location location...

45 minutes to Wright-Pat...25 to downtown Dayton..20 to Lebanon...15 minutes to Austin Landing to the North, 15 minutes to Liberty Center to the south .25 minutes to downtown Hamilton...and 40 minutes to downtown Cincinnati.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:51 AM

3,867 posts, read 3,147,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
So you agree, Hamilton is not as Appalachian-influenced as Middletown or Covington?
I do not know because I rarely go there unless I have to file some papers at the County Municipal Building downtown.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:03 AM

Upon re-examination of this topic and new sources I’ve found, I’m left wondering if at least half the entire white population of all of Ohio has Appalachian ancestry from either Eastern Kentucky, West Virginia or Northeast Tennessee. Am I accurate in assuming this, or not?

Old 03-28-2024, 01:59 PM

1,224 posts, read 521,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Your correct...Middltown has some rough and tumble
That a very old saying created by the immigrants from N. England, Ulster Ireland, and from parts of Scotland. When they agreed to fight each other they would say is this rough and tumble? Meaning anything goes, gouging eyeballs, biting off ears etc. That is who populated Appalachian areas and then later place like Middletown, Hamilton etc.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:00 PM

Interesting related article. Don't know if anyone has personal knowledge of it;
https://uacvoice.org/2022/04/current...ike-templeton/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio