Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 01:30 PM

676 posts, read 407,837 times

Advertisements

In the research I’ve done on Ohio throughout the past, I’ve always found it odd how Butler County, with its perfect balance of farmland and suburbia (latter of which has both working class and upscale communities, old industrial cities and a significant public university), has always been consistently red in terms of politics throughout its history.

Is there a particular reason why the local politics are so reliably conservative when everything else about this county would strongly suggest it would be politically competitive/moderate?

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 05-14-2023 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 08:33 AM

183 posts, read 196,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
In the research I’ve done on Ohio throughout the past, I’ve always found it odd how Butler County, with its perfect balance of farmland and suburbia (latter of which has both working class and upscale communities, old industrial cities and a significant public university), has always been consistently red in terms of politics throughout its history.

Is there a particular reason why the local politics are so reliably conservative when everything else about this county would strongly suggest it would be politically competitive/moderate?

My basic understanding of Butler County is that is where many of the more conservative folks who moved out of Hamilton County went. It is part of why Hamilton County is now a solidly Democratic county, with three Democratic commissioners and all but one of the county-wide elected offices. I think you may have also stumbled upon your own answer. I think the fact that it is a mix of suburban and rural is why it is still so conservative. It is true that suburban areas in the past couple elections have swung more towards the Democratic Party, but not enough to become dominant in those areas. More of a 50/50 split. That coupled with the deep red rural areas of the county seems to be a good explanation for the 60/40 makeup of the county in favor of Republicans.

That is my take, but I'd be curious to hear other opinions on the matter.

Old 05-28-2023, 03:15 PM

Bump.

Old 05-29-2023, 01:27 PM

160 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post
Bump.

Not sure that you needed to bump a thread already near the top of the page. It's a pretty white county in a conservative area. If it gets more diverse, then you'll see more change. for decades Orange county CA was solid Republican, as were many other suburban counties. Ohio overall, just isn't diverse enough to propel that.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Not sure that you needed to bump a thread already near the top of the page. It's a pretty white county in a conservative area. If it gets more diverse, then you'll see more change. for decades Orange county CA was solid Republican, as were many other suburban counties. Ohio overall, just isn't diverse enough to propel that.
I just wasn't sure if it was ever going to get any more replies, that's all.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Also having now re-read this, is it really that white? Because it's one of the few counties in Ohio to have a substantially large Hispanic population, something the state of Ohio (despite being considered a bellwether for American culture, trends and politics) I feel has always lacked compared to other states for whatever reason.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:06 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
My basic understanding of Butler County is that is where many of the more conservative folks who moved out of Hamilton County went. It is part of why Hamilton County is now a solidly Democratic county, with three Democratic commissioners and all but one of the county-wide elected offices. I think you may have also stumbled upon your own answer. I think the fact that it is a mix of suburban and rural is why it is still so conservative. It is true that suburban areas in the past couple elections have swung more towards the Democratic Party, but not enough to become dominant in those areas. More of a 50/50 split. That coupled with the deep red rural areas of the county seems to be a good explanation for the 60/40 makeup of the county in favor of Republicans.

That is my take, but I'd be curious to hear other opinions on the matter.
Your basic take on the B of the CBD Metro exhibits two centuries of ignorance.

Butler County was a separate top-100 Metro according to the Census until 1960 when it was thrown into the Cincy Metro by faceless nameless bureaucrats in DC.

Middletown and Hamilton, the two Miami River Valley cities that formed the Butler County metro have their own history. They both welcomed black residents, like Dayton and Cincinnati, but neither of them experienced white flight. So Butler County never experienced the severing of traditional political beliefs that happened in larger cities like Dayton and Cincinnati.

For decades Butler County watched as The C and D mimicked other American metros. At the same time, as mentioned before, it attracted more conservative minded folks from the C and D, and even today, it is attracting newcomers from immigrant groups who don't want to live in a Woketopia.

Vivek Ramaswamy is from Butler County. As is JD Vance it also has a Sheriff Jones who refused to go along with the WHo/CDC/Fauci tyranny, further attracting sane conservatives.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

Butler County was a separate top-100 Metro according to the Census until 1960 when it was thrown into the Cincy Metro by faceless nameless bureaucrats in DC.

Middletown and Hamilton, the two Miami River Valley cities that formed the Butler County metro have their own history. They both welcomed black residents, like Dayton and Cincinnati, but neither of them experienced white flight. So Butler County never experienced the severing of traditional political beliefs that happened in larger cities like Dayton and Cincinnati.

For decades Butler County watched as The C and D mimicked other American metros. At the same time, as mentioned before, it attracted more conservative minded folks from the C and D, and even today, it is attracting newcomers from immigrant groups who don't want to live in a Woketopia.

Vivek Ramaswamy is from Butler County. As is JD Vance it also has a Sheriff Jones who refused to go along with the WHo/CDC/Fauci tyranny, further attracting sane conservatives.
What‘s your source on Butler County not being in the Cincy metro until 1960? Because I always held the assumption it was always part of it looking at old US census population statistics of the area.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:21 AM

374 posts, read 257,185 times
Quote:

This has overlooked some main points. The bottom line is that this county under-reflects the nation's demographics. We also have not mentioned that "thing" called gerrymandering. Let's consider that the reasons for immigrants moving here is likely closer to being closer to employment rather than anything political. Let's not actually believe "white flight" WASN'T involved in these areas either. That would be foolish/delusional and clearly on the denial side of things (once again). I would not exactly say these areas "welcomed" black residents either.

Truth is important.

Last edited by rrampage; 05-30-2023 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-30-2023, 05:09 AM

160 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:

Middletown and Hamilton, the two Miami River Valley cities that formed the Butler County metro have their own history.

No, the county's growth over the past 50-70 years is from white flight and sprawl from Cincy (and Dayton).

Quote:
it is attracting newcomers from immigrant groups who don't want to live in a Woketopia.

EverYtHiNg I disAgReE wItH iS wOkE.

Quote:

"muh wHo cDc fAuCi tYrAnNy..."

Oof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio