Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 02:37 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
For persons concerned about a COVID infection and healthcare, it's hard to consider moving to Florida with a governor and controlling political party that effectively promotes COVID transmission. Especially as the health care system is overwhelmed and medical professionals discouraged and depressed. Even routine medical care, let alone needed emergency care, is being compromised.

Long COVID sequelae, which may be permanent health deficiencies, should encourage anybody to avoid a COVID infection. Even the Biden administration fails to emphasize this danger and warn persons about the risks of a COVID infection, even if mild or asymptomatic.

If we ever reestablish stringent public health measures including mass testing, contact tracing and mandatory quarantines to eventually control COVID, as is used in many nations, including Australia and New Zealand, tens of millions of Americans who survive the epidemic may be left permanently impaired.

More and more research quantifies the risks of COVID infections, especially more severe infections even IF individuals survive.

<<Research suggests that 50 to 80 percent of people who recover from COVID-19 experience at least some lingering after-effects 3 months after infection with the coronavirus.

Prolonged symptom duration and disability are common in adults hospitalized with a severe form of COVID-19.

Patient interviews show that while 65 percent of people who had been released from the hospital after being treated for a severe form of COVID-19 had returned to full health, 35 percent still had not fully recovered more than 2 weeks after being hospitalized.>>

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...he-bottom-line

Just one new study:

<<Now, a large study suggests that kidney issues can last for months after patients recover from the initial infection, and may lead to a serious lifelong reduction of kidney function in some patients.

The study, published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, found that the sicker Covid patients were initially, the more likely they were to experience lingering kidney damage. But even people with less severe initial infections could be vulnerable....

Between one and six months after becoming infected, Covid survivors were about 35 percent more likely than non-Covid patients to have kidney damage or substantial declines in kidney function, said Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, chief of the research and development service at the V.A. St. Louis Health Care System and senior author of the study.>>

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/03/w...sultPosition=3

So I share your concerns about mass gatherings, even outdoors at sporting events. Once I have a third dose, which may confer life-long immunity protection against existing COVID variants, I will reassess the situation.

We know. We are moving to the Cleveland area.

FL will have to continue to be a vacation destination. I do love it in Jan. - March, so at some point, we may spend those months there. We can work from home.
That state and the people it attracts with the current governor are just way too extreme for us. I did not vote for DeWine, and I disagree with many of his policies, but for the most part, he is a decent human being.

Being closer to the airports will come in handy. I like a White Christmas anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 06:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We know. We are moving to the Cleveland area. ....

Being closer to the airports will come in handy. I like a White Christmas anyway.
Congrats on a wise decision, and an excellent one for the Cleveland and Ohio forums!

Don't count on a white Christmas, unless perhaps you move to Chardon.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:47 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Congrats on a wise decision, and an excellent one for the Cleveland and Ohio forums!

Don't count on a white Christmas, unless perhaps you move to Chardon.
Last Christmas was one of the snowiest days of the year in Cleveland, if not THE snowiest.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Last Christmas was one of the snowiest days of the year in Cleveland, if not THE snowiest.
Still, the majority of the time, there is no snow accumulation any longer on Christmas in Cleveland.

We usually get one big snow storm early in the snow season, then not much snow until January, and, overall, snowfall totals are plummeting.

Note in 2020 the high temperature for both Dec. 24 and 25 was 33 degrees F., and 38 degrees F. on both Dec. 27 and 28. As is typical most of the time, snowfall accumulations fell victim to a rapid thaw.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pa...5019?year=2020

Note the paltry snowfalls by day (less than 2 days on average of 3 inches or more) in December in Cleveland, even ignoring temperatures above freezing that melt snow on comtact especially on paved surfaces and limit accumulations. Given large snowfalls on Dec. 1 and at Christmas, 2020 was very exceptional.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php

<<Snow mostly accumulates during January. Typically, on seven days in January and another five in February, the snow covering Cleveland amounts to five or more inches deep. The city averages four days a year when the snowpack tops ten inches.>>

The above article says on average in Cleveland in December, there are only 11.7 days of an accumulation of an inch or more, and only 5.3 days of three inches or more. Chardon likely has significantly more accumulations.

I should keep a weather journal this year, marking accumulations versus reported snowfall totals, but it would simply depress me given my memory of winters several decades ago.

I remember wondering last Christmas if this would be our last White Christmas with ground accumulation, as pessimistic as I am about rapid climate change.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-11-2021 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 02:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I sure didn’t see many masks in the crowd during yesterday’s game. Yet another reason to be glad I missed it in person.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:06 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
buckeyes look very overrated.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
buckeyes look very overrated.
Especially on the lines...never thought I'd ever see a finesse program like Oregon dominate OSU on both lines of scrimmage.
Ryan Day has a long way to go to get this team back to what I expect of an OSU football team, and that's to compete for a NC every year.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 PM

Default Ohio Stadium attendance collapses for Tulsa game, lowest since 1971

"Only" 76,450 fans attended the 9/18 Tulsa game despite perfect weather. Reasons not to attend: 1) maskless environment during Delta variant surge; 2) disappointing season and unexciting opponent; 3) cashless and ticketless game experience challenging those lacking smartphones and elderly, less technically inclined persons; 4) ticket prices; 5) superiority of watching game at home on TV; 6) declining interest in NCAAF football given commercialization, coaching salaries; 7) alternative of getting outside and appreciating the last days of summer. Anything else?

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...est-since-1946

It will be interesting if lower ticket sales badly impact the athletic budget, resulting in lower coaching and athletic salaries in the future?

Old 09-19-2021, 05:30 AM

469 posts, read 434,367 times
Honestly I think it’s a combination of #2 and #4.

Michigan boasted 106,000+ against Northern Illinois yesterday in the Big House. Same weather, league, etc.

Similar for Penn State, granted, against a more compelling opponent (Auburn).

Those fans didn’t seem deterred by any of the other items mentioned above.

Heck, if OSU had announced last minute bargain pricing to sell the unused tickets, I might have scooted down there. (Maybe they did and I didn’t see it?).

Last edited by SlideRules99; 09-19-2021 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-19-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Honestly I think it’s a combination of #2 and #4.

Michigan boasted 106,000+ against Northern Illinois yesterday in the Big House. Same weather, league, etc.

Similar for Penn State, granted, against a more compelling opponent (Auburn).

Those fans didn’t seem deterred by any of the other items mentioned above.

Heck, if OSU had announced last minute bargain pricing to sell the unused tickets, I might have scooted down there. (Maybe they did and I didn’t see it?).
Ticket prices, lackluster opponents, and even poor teams haven't deterred Ohio Stadium attendance in the past.

Consider that Michigan was playing nearby Northern Illinois, likely attracting opposing fans.

I wonder if Akron fans and alumni will scoop up available tickets for next week's Ohio State game. Additionally, it's TBDBITL Alumni Day, which means likely the largest brass band performance in the world, including quadruple Script Ohio, always an attraction. Go to Home Depot and buy Aura N-95 masks, then go the game masked if you've never seen an Ohio State game at the Horseshoe and you can still get tickets. Bring binoculars. IMO, it's well worth the ticket price and the minimal infection risk if masked. Plan to arrive sufficiently early to attend the free Skull Session in St. John's Arena. Check the weather forecast.

https://www.tbdbitl.com/wb/events/alumni-band-reunion/

Also, Michigan has given away tickets in the past, especially to students, to boost attendance. My hunch is that Penn State's attendance was legit. After all, Penn State's Auburn game was a famed "White Out."

https://www.si.com/college/pennstate...show-in-sports

Unlike Ohio State and Michigan, Penn State has NOT implemented cashless concessions, nor apparently virtual ticketing. The not-so-marginal inconveniences posed by cashless concessions and virtual ticketing for those who are technologically challenged, including older alumni and fans, may be more significant than is appreciated.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202109090191

Ohio State likely will sell out the Horseshoe, at premium ticket prices, for Penn State and maybe even Maryland (victory over West Virginia) and Michigan State (victory over Miami), given their very good records in 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio