Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,328,531 times

Advertisements

I showed this house to my wife the other night and was talking about it with some coworkers. We having a time wrapping our heads around the price. It's almost 4x the size of my house and just a little more than half of what we paid in '09! I'd like to see other houses in the neighborhood. Are any of them being fixed up?

http://youngstown.oh.localcities.com/real-estate/for-sale-by-owner.html?details=21947184 (broken link)

260 Tod Lane, Youngstown, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 AM

5,512 posts, read 9,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I showed this house to my wife the other night and was talking about it with some coworkers. We having a time wrapping our heads around the price. It's almost 4x the size of my house and just a little more than half of what we paid in '09! I'd like to see other houses in the neighborhood. Are any of them being fixed up?

http://youngstown.oh.localcities.com/real-estate/for-sale-by-owner.html?details=21947184 (broken link)

260 Tod Lane, Youngstown, Ohio (http://www.thefairlink.com/260todlane/ - broken link)
I don't know that neighborhood very well. But, at that price, I'm guessing the adjacent houses don't need fixed up.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM

25 posts, read 45,312 times
Thank you for the responses! I found that the house on Rush BLVD is in-between Hollywood and Maywood. The schools were listed as some in Youngstown and some in Boardman.

On another note, the fall and winter holidays are very important to me. Are there lots of festivities during Halloween and Christmas? Do people decorate lots?

Oh and my fiancé and I are in our 20s if that is of any concern or not.

Thanks again for the help!!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyKittenn View Post
Thank you for the responses! I found that the house on Rush BLVD is in-between Hollywood and Maywood. The schools were listed as some in Youngstown and some in Boardman.
That particular block is just inside Youngstown, and is in the Youngstown School District. 2 blocks east, or 3 blocks down, and you're in Boardman. Unless you're worried about schools, or a 2.75% income tax, I wouldn't be too concerned about being within the city limits.

Quote:
On another note, the fall and winter holidays are very important to me. Are there lots of festivities during Halloween and Christmas? Do people decorate lots?

Oh and my fiancé and I are in our 20s if that is of any concern or not.

Thanks again for the help!!
I don't think you'd be disapointed with the Christmas decorations/activities. (here is a video from this year's Christmas parade:

2011 Youngstown Holiday Parade & Festival - YouTube)

But I'm not sure about Halloween. I know there is a zombie crawl downtown, but I can't think of many other Halloween themed events.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't know that neighborhood very well. But, at that price, I'm guessing the adjacent houses don't need fixed up.
Are you saying "at that price" ($265k) the adjacent houses are probably not worth fixing, or "at that price" the adjacent houses are probably nice? I was thinking at that price the neighborhood was not very good.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Are you saying "at that price" ($265k) the adjacent houses are probably not worth fixing, or "at that price" the adjacent houses are probably nice? I was thinking at that price the neighborhood was not very good.
That's one of the most expensive properties currently for sale within the city limits of Youngstown. So, the neighborhood must be stable and in good shape for the seller to be asking that much, unless the seller is delusional. (and that's possible, I suppose )

Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
That's one of the most expensive properties currently for sale within the city limits of Youngstown. So, the neighborhood must be stable and in good shape for the seller to be asking that much, unless the seller is delusional. (and that's possible, I suppose )
Ok. See, I would think the opposite. Being one of the most expensive properties at $265k for a 7,800 sq. ft house, I would think the neighborhood must not be very good. I've now quickly become addicted to Google Earth.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Ok. See, I would think the opposite. Being one of the most expensive properties at $265k for a 7,800 sq. ft house, I would think the neighborhood must not be very good.
Hmm, if you break it down to square foot cost, I guess that makes sense. But I'm not sure if the logic is that straightforward all the way to the end. My current house, on the west side, was recently appraised at $38/sq.ft. And they are only asking about $34/sq.ft. for this mansion. Some (usually people in the suburbs) would consider my west side house "in the ghetto." (I don't agree, but that's a subject for another thread.) So, by suburban standards, I guess this Crandall Park neighborhood might not be that good. But, get yourself a decent security system, and you'd have nothing to worry about, IMO.

Quote:
I've now quickly become addicted to Google Earth.
Unfortunately, they are slow to complete Youngstown's streetviews. I know more will be coming, because I saw the Google cars driving around my neighborhood last fall. But, you can take a virtual walk down Fifth Ave., at least.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Hmm, if you break it down to square foot cost, I guess that makes sense. But I'm not sure if the logic is that straightforward all the way to the end. My current house, on the west side, was recently appraised at $38/sq.ft. And they are only asking about $34/sq.ft. for this mansion. Some (usually people in the suburbs) would consider my west side house "in the ghetto." (I don't agree, but that's a subject for another thread.) So, by suburban standards, I guess this Crandall Park neighborhood might not be that good. But, get yourself a decent security system, and you'd have nothing to worry about, IMO.

Unfortunately, they are slow to complete Youngstown's streetviews. I know more will be coming, because I saw the Google cars driving around my neighborhood last fall. But, you can take a virtual walk down Fifth Ave., at least.
Ha. I did that. I think it was the first time I'd been "past" Stambaugh Auditorium since I was a kid. I was bummed when I couldn't "go" up Tod Ave. I was able to get a good look at my grandmother's house on Schenley Ave. though. I'm guessing you wouldn't have to put much into the house before the investment exceeded the worth. Last year's tax appraisal on my house was about $197/sq. ft. so it's like reverse sticker shock.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,472 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses! I found that the house on Rush BLVD is in-between Hollywood and Maywood.
you are on the safer side of midlothian, but don't expect your investment to go up anytime soon as that area is close to the south side ghetto.
Quote:
The schools were listed as some in Youngstown and some in Boardman.
no one wants to send their kids to youngstown public schools.
Quote:
not any more or less than other places. in the neighborhood that you are looking at, your decorations might get stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio