Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times

Advertisements

that is the area kelly pavlik is from. dangerous but livable. i wouldn't consider that area myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,281 times
Wow..
The east side is about the worst part of youngstown

Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ii_411-x View Post
Wow..
The east side is about the worst part of youngstown
yes, it is.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 17,267 times
i lived on the north side, a lot of people had mixed responses to it. Some people thought it was the safest because of the proximity to the college, others thought it was pretty bad. After I moved out, my roommates were robbed (with an ak-47) though, and i know to stay away from the south side unless your with someone from there. there really is no safe side, i'd move to boardman or niles if i were you.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pook87 View Post
there really is no safe side, i'd move to boardman or niles if i were you.
uh-oh. the gentrifiers on this forum won't like to read such honesty.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 AM

160 posts, read 644,168 times
the west side going towards austintown is about the safest place of youngstown city.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
uh-oh. the gentrifiers on this forum won't like to read such honesty.
LOL, I assume you're thinking of me?

This is just my opinion, but I believe "safety" is subjective. To some people, the entire US is too unsafe with our liberal (not in a political sense, of course) gun laws. Of course, there are a few bad parts of Youngstown. But choosing to live in a suburb instead of the city just because of "safety," is like choosing to build a house at the bottom of a big hill, instead of the top, because you'll be less likely to be struck by lightning.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 AM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling_in_the_sun View Post
From my experiences, I've been told that if you're going to live in Youngstown stick to the West Side
Agree. The West Side is the safest, no doubt, but is still pretty gritty and urban slum-like. The only safe section of Youngstown, unless you are a hardcore urban person who is pretty darn brave about cities, is the YSU campus. Away from campus and the businesses along Mahoning Ave. during business hours, Youngstown is a very, very tough city, one of the toughest in the nation. Ohio's highest crime rate, and something like #8 among all cities nationally.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 AM

421 posts, read 1,565,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
that is the area kelly pavlik is from. dangerous but livable. i wouldn't consider that area myself.
Kelly is a great guy. Unless I could box like Kelly, though, I'd stick to the suburbs of Youngstown, or the quiet towns that are a short drive from Youngstown.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:56 AM

69 posts, read 191,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Agree. The West Side is the safest, no doubt, but is still pretty gritty and urban slum-like. The only safe section of Youngstown, unless you are a hardcore urban person who is pretty darn brave about cities, is the YSU campus. Away from campus and the businesses along Mahoning Ave. during business hours, Youngstown is a very, very tough city, one of the toughest in the nation. Ohio's highest crime rate, and something like #8 among all cities nationally.
Here's where we get into problems interpreting data.

In its class, as defined by cities with a population between
75,000 to 99,999, Youngstown comes in at number 7. This is really misleading, though. When compared to all US cities, Youngstown isn't even in the top 25 but Cleveland, Dayton, and Cincinnati are ranked 20th, 21st and 25th, respectively.

Now, are parts of Youngstown dangerous relatively speaking? Absolutely!

When taken into consideration, 000000 lives in Florida where Tampa and Miami rank 15th and 19th respectively, it should be noted that he is comfortable with his personal safety.

If you wish to check out the data personally, here is the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio