Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,324 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm 21 and haven't gotten around to getting my license yet. I have had two temp packets (one at 16, one at 18) passed the written/vision no problem both times - Never tried the driving test either time.

Reason - I can do perfectly fine on back roads, two lanes, and basically anywhere else - except intersections.

When you get into the 4/5/6etc way intersections, i am always unsure of myself (and other drivers). I have studied up on 'tips' and rules/regulations at the intersections, but i guess im trying to soak up as much information as i can before i jump into a temps pack again (Hopefully third times the charm!) i want to have my license by may (at least).

Any tips, suggestions, or area's to read up on things with this? I've studied the booklet, and have a PDF of it.. i've took notes on friends/relatives that drive and i've googled my mind away.

I think my main problem is four of the 9 older women in my family do not drive. They are all afraid of something else (Oncoming traffic, other drivers, intersections, free ways.. etc) so im guessing it was somehow instilled in me as well.

How can i be more confident at the intersections? Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,552,839 times
Hi Drama Queen! Intersections really aren't that bad. I'd say the rules pretty much are:

Go if the light is green (and after you are sure someone coming from the other direction won't be running their red light. Try to anticipate a yellow/red light by observing how long the light ahead of you has been green. If it's been "green" awhile, be ready to stop. The pedestrian crossing lights at the upcoming intersection will help you, too. If the light indicates "cross" for the pedestrians walking the same direction you are driving, you'll know that you have plenty of time to get through the light. If the crosswalk light is flashing or says "Don't Walk", then you should be prepared to stop.

At intersections controlled by a stop sign, the first vehicle to the intersection goes first. Then the rest of the vehicles go in order of arrival. If just two vehicles arrive at the same time, the vehicle on the right should proceed first. If in doubt, let the other vehicle go first.

Drama Queen, that's pretty much it. Don't be nervous! All the information you need to pass your driving test will be in the driver's manual that your state issues. Best of luck on your test!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,935,001 times
The state license manual should have all the basic info about the rules of the road in various situations, including right-of-way at intersections. It sounds as if you're in a difficult situation, since the general attitude in your family discourages driving. I can see how this could also make it difficult to find a licensed driver to ride with you while you practice driving. I would still suggest getting out and practicing as often as this can be arranged. The more driving you do in situations where you are comfortable, the more relaxed and confident you will be while driving in various situations. As you become more confident behind the wheel in general, it will be easier to be relaxed when you approach new situations on the road. Good luck, and hang in there.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 PM

So, I hate to bump this after eeks.. just about 3 years.. But alas, im still without a license. :/

I did try to schedule as much driving time as possible, but with a slim amount of options (and even fewer that i trust getting driving tips from) its hard to do. The last time i was able to get out and drive was maybe December. I'm more confidant taking the driven part of the test i believe (I heard that you're basically just driving a block with no lane switches and no freeway etc) which im fine doing. My problem is i dont have enough time with maneuverability.

I have a few open spaces very close to me, within two minutes of walking on back roads. Im thinking i may go extremely early in the morning when no ones really on the road, and practicing maneuverability on my own. I know its not the best because i wont be with a licensed driver but its just right up my street straight shot that i can drive no problem. Still debating.

Anyways, when (if) i do get my license, i want to be more confident on intersections. With little experience i've been looking for tutorials and tips i can find online. I'd like some sort of video showing random traffic situations involving intersections but i've found little options, and when i do its normally just the basics i already know.

I'd like to study more on mid-lane turning with possible oncoming traffic for example. I can do this but im not confident and i think i'd rather get a little more confident watching before just darting out there for the learning process.

Does anyone know of anything i can find like this? I've been told by a few instructors that they feel i can pass but with how hard it will be to get out to the testing station, i'd rather not go and fail one or both of the driving parts (driving and maneuverability).

Ive also looked into online defensive driving courses but im not sure that would be up my alley. I dont know if they just teach you to watch other drivers (obviously important) or if they actually give tips and steps through intersections etc. Also any help on maneuverability tips would be very helpful.

Thanks for any help.

PS-

I'm wondering if taking a defensive driving course online/in person would help? I wont take a regular 'driving course' because the ones i have taken are all just written test help. I would guess defensive driving courses would help explain situations and make me more confident?

Last edited by TheDramaQueen; 04-03-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Edited for the PS :p

Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,935,001 times
The defensive driving course wouldn't be a bad idea for a confidence-builder. Once you've gotten your license, in addition to considering a defensive driving course, try to drive as often as possible. The old saying that practice makes perfect really applies with driving. Practice also helps with comfort and confidence on the road.

Before taking your road test, check out this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...road-test.html. The road test is more difficult at some registry offices than others. This thread has info about some people's experiences with offices where the road tests were easier or more difficult.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM

Yeah, once i get my license, ill be able to drive at any time without relying on anyone; and intend to 'practice' more often that way, its just getting it and the lack of practice i have available to me now.

I checked that forum but i couldnt find anything in or around Ohio. However, I do know of a few people who have recently taken the tests at a few different areas near me so i think i have an alright understanding of it and which i'll be headed for. Its just getting to the point to be able to go thats the problem now.

Its pretty frustrating, if you can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio