Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter58 View Post
I just left Raleigh to come back north. I enjoyed my time and the weather, beaches, mountains, etc. A few things not to enjoy are the traffic jams, multitudes of illegals, gangs, poor schools, litter, personal property taxes.
Other than the traffic jams and illegals, everything you mentioned that you hate about Raleigh is far worse in Toledo. I'll pick Raleigh over Toledo anyday. More job opportunities, less crime, better neighborhoods, and an increasing population that did not have to be challenged by the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 64,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Other than the traffic jams and illegals, everything you mentioned that you hate about Raleigh is far worse in Toledo. I'll pick Raleigh over Toledo anyday. More job opportunities, less crime, better neighborhoods, and an increasing population that did not have to be challenged by the mayor.

Does it matter?? They're both chitholes.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM

120 posts, read 461,483 times
Raleigh is not a chithole, have you ever even been there, North Carolina is hopping right now.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Raleigh is not a chithole, have you ever even been there, North Carolina is hopping right now.
NC is far from "hopping" right now. Have friends and family there. Higher than national unemployment. Please don't go anywhere without a well paying job and make sure you have lots of cash in case you loose that job. There are countless stories of folks moving, gainfully employed, and being out of work just a few months later.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,355,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Photo of Toledo
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...do%2C_Ohio.jpg

Photo of Raleigh
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-20081012.jpeg

The Raleigh area (economically) is heading in a different direction than Toledo. However as a "real city", Toledo trumps Raleigh and just about every "city" in NC. I can understand why a Buckeye would call Raleigh a "chithole". By "real city" standards, it is. Charlotte is about the only city in the state that is trying to become a "real city".

Photos of Charlotte
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...8123456789.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Dvtjnhyj.jpg (broken link)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/Brevard_Court_and_Culture.jpg (broken link)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/16/Gdfvadsrt556.jpg (broken link)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Catsbswy.jpg (broken link)

I used to live in Ashland Ky and partied in Ironton OH on the weekends. Ironton (for a small town) has got ALL of these NC towns beat hands down!!! Columbus is also the "chit" on the weekends too!!! I think Ohioans should stay at home because the grass ain't greener in NC. Charlotte is NC's best hope for a "real city" and it isn't even on Cincy and Cleveland's level yet!!! To be quite honest, it will never be a Cincy or Cleveland. There is too much sprawl down here!!! If you are a fan of sprawl and low density towns with little history and culture, NC is your state. The only thing better in NC is the weather. If you like the snow, the weather here sux!!!

Ohio is a great state!!! I can't see why a Buckeye would leave Ohio for NC!!! Other than a job transfer, there is no reason to come to NC IMHO. NC is still very backwards when compared to Ohio (socially speaking). I grew up in Charlotte BTW and lived/worked in Ohio for nearly 3 years as a trucker. I have worked out of a Walmart Distribution Center in Washington Court House and I have carried freight from Youngtown to Cincy. I am very familiar with the entire state of Ohio enough to tell you guys that you all are not missing a thing living up there. NC is highly overated. Take it from someone who grew up in NC and has an Ohio connection. OHIO FREAKING ROCKS AND DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YA'LL DIFFERENT!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-11-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 11:26 AM

98 posts, read 314,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly don't think any of these videos show things worth leaving Ohio for. For some reason though, Buckeyes down here love it. I guess my question is "Is Ohio really that much different from Charlotte?" Any feedback on this question would be greatly appreciated!!!
I got transferred to Columbus from Charlotte and I can't stand it up here, it's been a long 7 years and finally in '09 I'll be going back to the Carolinas. I can't think of calling Ohio home, it's honestly the pits up here. Jobs and climate are more than likely the top reasons people have been leaving Ohio and every other northern state. The winters up here are long and miserable, every city up here is stuck in the 20th century, and it's dirty.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
I got transferred to Columbus from Charlotte and I can't stand it up here, it's been a long 7 years and finally in '09 I'll be going back to the Carolinas. I can't think of calling Ohio home, it's honestly the pits up here. Jobs and climate are more than likely the top reasons people have been leaving Ohio and every other northern state. The winters up here are long and miserable, every city up here is stuck in the 20th century, and it's dirty.
I worked out of Washington C. H. as a trucker and I am somewhat familiar with Columbus. I kinda liked the older look and feel to Columbus. I have never lived there so I can't comment on what living there is like. I did date a girl a while back that lived in the James Rd area of town. That side of town was the hood!!! We used to shoot pool together in the Short North and I enjoyed that. I really liked it in Columbus, but I guess I am a nut for the older urban feel. I wished Charlotte had more of Columbus's traits. I guess you and I should trade places LOL!!! One thing I will give Charlotte is the light rail effort here. Columbus and Cincy should have had light rail/subway decades ago!!! Cincy did actually start building in the early 1900s then stopped all of sudden. What a shame... Inner Cincy really could have used such a rail line today!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,029,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

The Raleigh area (economically) is heading in a different direction than Toledo. However as a "real city", Toledo trumps Raleigh and just about every "city" in NC. I can understand why a Buckeye would call Raleigh a "chithole". By "real city" standards, it is. Charlotte is about the only city in the state that is trying to become a "real city".
I find it hilarious that anyone would try and compare Toledo to Raleigh - you realize that on just about every 'list' Raleigh is in the top 10, and the top 1 or 2 on many of them, as far as job growth, best places to live, etc. in the country? Toledo on the other hand, while I have some good memories (moreso in the suburbs and BG) from when my now wife went to BG earlier this decade, is struggling to say the least and is known in many circles in Ohio as the armpit of Ohio. Downtown is a ghost town outside of when there is a Mud Hens game, and the city like pretty much every other mid-sized city in Ohio has been losing jobs for years. Toledo more or less ebbs and flows as Detroit does being only an hour away and relying so heavily on the auto industry - have you happened to look at how Detroit is doing lately? Toledo isn't much better. Toledo does have a great zoo, and a great church - Cedarcreek - even that though is out in the suburbs in Perrysburg.

The biggest reason we chose Columbia over Raleigh is cost of real estate and we just don't like bigger cities in general, Columbia is about as big as we'd want. While we miss Ohio b/c of our family & friends - and being able to see every Cavs game - we love the weather here, and my wife has finally been able to do what she went to school for and not be laid off every year due to budget cuts in the schools. And Columbia, while it has it's problems, has been enjoyable to live in, and is quietly growing - at a slower pace I might add, which we are fine with - behind Charlotte, Raleigh and some of the other larger Carolina cities.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I find it hilarious that anyone would try and compare Toledo to Raleigh - you realize that on just about every 'list' Raleigh is in the top 10, and the top 1 or 2 on many of them, as far as job growth, best places to live, etc. in the country? Toledo on the other hand, while I have some good memories (moreso in the suburbs and BG) from when my now wife went to BG earlier this decade, is struggling to say the least and is known in many circles in Ohio as the armpit of Ohio. Downtown is a ghost town outside of when there is a Mud Hens game, and the city like pretty much every other mid-sized city in Ohio has been losing jobs for years. Toledo more or less ebbs and flows as Detroit does being only an hour away and relying so heavily on the auto industry - have you happened to look at how Detroit is doing lately? Toledo isn't much better. Toledo does have a great zoo, and a great church - Cedarcreek - even that though is out in the suburbs in Perrysburg.

The biggest reason we chose Columbia over Raleigh is cost of real estate and we just don't like bigger cities in general, Columbia is about as big as we'd want. While we miss Ohio b/c of our family & friends - and being able to see every Cavs game - we love the weather here, and my wife has finally been able to do what she went to school for and not be laid off every year due to budget cuts in the schools. And Columbia, while it has it's problems, has been enjoyable to live in, and is quietly growing - at a slower pace I might add, which we are fine with - behind Charlotte, Raleigh and some of the other larger Carolina cities.
I only compared the two because someone else brought them up together. Regardless of a "best of list", Ohio has "real cities" period. This is something that Raleigh and most of NC/SC is lacking. Most people from the midwest and northest that move south find the south rather boring and lacking "real city" grit and charm. This is where Toledo is superior to Raleigh. Economically and socially, Raleigh is far better than Toledo. Then again, most suburban areas like Raleigh are doing better than Toledo. Toledo has an urban fabric that makes Raleigh (and even Charlotte to an extent) look like Mayberry. Economically, Raleigh/Charlotte makes Toledo look like Mayberry. Again, I can understand why an Ohioan would call Raleigh a "chithole". They were most likely talking about Raleigh's urban fabric (or lack there of).

Old 11-12-2008, 05:18 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
I find it hilarious that anyone would try and compare Toledo to Raleigh - you realize that on just about every 'list' Raleigh is in the top 10, and the top 1 or 2 on many of them, as far as job growth, best places to live, etc. in the country? Toledo on the other hand, while I have some good memories (moreso in the suburbs and BG) from when my now wife went to BG earlier this decade, is struggling to say the least and is known in many circles in Ohio as the armpit of Ohio.
Im sorry I just saw this on the news here. Look at this list of cities with growth. Notice the number 2 city on the top of the list and then notice the number 2 city on the bottom of the list.

bizjournals: Some U.S. metros still show economic strengths -- bizjournals (http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/73.html - broken link)

Also, not bashing my city that much I do agree with UrbanCharlotte, Raleigh does seem like an exciting place when I went there but it also seemed like a big gigantic suburb compared to my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio