Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,145,561 times

Advertisements

Can you all give me some examples of what makes Cincinnati so unique? If the examples are visible, pictures would be helpful. Personally, I've never been to Southwest OH; the things that I was saying were based on my impressions from talking to people from there, and news clips, etc. So if I'm wrong (which I'm perfectly willing to accept), please show me in what ways I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:52 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,512,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Coincidentally, I just watched this video about shootings in NOLA:

Bourbon Street Shooting 2013; New Orleans Police Say 4 People Wounded

The video that starts immediately afterwards starts off about how NOLA is "one of the most unique cities in the country", using the term in the manner I was. I would argue that language changes with use, and I was using a rather well-established definition of 'unique', one which is not so rigid as yours.
Oh well then you're definitely right!

https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife.../misused-words

Dude, you're just wrong. It's ok though, most people don't know the difference. I'm an English teacher, so sorry for my persistence in this, but for real, just trust me on this one. If you want to continue arguing words and grammar or whatever, feel free to PM me. I'll talk all day about it!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,264,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Personally, I've never been to Southwest OH
I didn't think so. You know what? Cincinnati has garnered enough national attention recently that Google will serve you well if you really want to know.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,913,641 times
bjimmy24, I will PM you. We're having an unsettled philosophical debate, see e.g.: Radical interpretation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If dictionary definitions are the arbiter of correct usage, then language should never evolve. But dictionaries in fact change when people disobeyng them. Meanwhile, I will continue to "misuse" the word 'unique' as I see fit.

Cleverfield, I gave you a link to a post I'd made where I listed many of the things that set Cincinnati apart. I also gave a historical perspective that places Cincinnati as a unique city in the region in this thread. Here is the quote from my link:

"I love Cincinnati's unique neighborhoods, stellar architecture, park system, topography, hillside steps, chili parlors. I love its European-American vibe with its narrow downtown streets, alleys and buildings, German heritage, corner pub culture, pace of life and work/life balance, alongside the river frontier town feel and history, brewing heritage, and beacon of freedom for slaves escaping the south. Other places might have some of these things. Nowhere has them all, or pulls them off in the same way, as Cincinnati does."

I will supply some streetview links to show you some places/things I think are especially interesting:
woodburn & mcmillan, cincinnati - Google Maps - This vista framed by the streetwall is nice. Not much like it in Ohio.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - This intersection has a lot of interesting stuff: It's at the bottom of a hill, with views of rolling hills in the background, another vista of a church, the buildings around it have cool shapes, Schwartz's Point (with the clock) is interesting in its own right and houses a sort-of-underground jazz club.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - Steps get streetsigns. Check out those mailboxes -- people have front doors off those steps as you go down! Check out the riverview from up on Mt. Adams.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - More Mt. Adams. It's like the Midwest's San Francisco.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - Check out the awesome way these multi-story houses look tiny from the roadway.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - West Side Market is better for shopping, but Findlay Market has a better vibe. Ohio's oldest currently operating market.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - This is just one of dozens of awesome overlook points around the city.

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - Hate on it all you want, but Skyline is delicious!!! And you can't get better Skyline than right there in Clifton. Then there's Graeter's like a block down the street for dessert. Can't hate on Graeter's!

main & 12th, cincinnati - Google Maps - Spring Grove Cemetery is world-class, but I don't know how to show that in a picture.

Maybe more when i have time..

Old 02-10-2013, 07:18 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,264,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Cleverfield, I gave you a link to a post I'd made where I listed many of the things that set Cincinnati apart. I also gave a historical perspective that places Cincinnati as a unique city in the region in this thread. Here is the quote from my link:
You are way more patient than me.

I really appreciate the links, and the time it took to post them. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:07 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,480,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Can you all give me some examples of what makes Cincinnati so unique? If the examples are visible, pictures would be helpful. Personally, I've never been to Southwest OH; the things that I was saying were based on my impressions from talking to people from there, and news clips, etc. So if I'm wrong (which I'm perfectly willing to accept), please show me in what ways I'm wrong.
That's all I need to know. Next time, actually visit the city before attacking it.

#Fail

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-10-2013 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 PM

549 posts, read 850,941 times
It's nearly impossible to describe what gives Cincinnati it's unique flavor. It's a place that attracts and nurtures people with strong conviction. People here are willing to fight for their beliefs, and they've got integrity and scrutize every detail. Cincinnati is relaxed at the same time. The city has more uniquely identifiable places and landmarks that most cities and each and every neighborhood has charm. There's beauty hidden everywhere and it reveals itself unexpectedly. Lastly, this city is stable. We may do things in an unorthodox manner, but it works. Cincinnati isn't falling off the map anytime soon.

It's impossible to show what makes Cincinnati special in one snapshot, but the best photo thread I've seen representing the good, bad, and ugly is this: City of Cin – Chapter One (My First Cincinnati Thread)

I love Cincinnati and wont apologize for it.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM

549 posts, read 850,941 times
I also think these two timelapse videos give a great perspective into Cincinnati

This expresses the lifestyle
"Who needs a nice day?" on Vimeo

This expresses the energy
Paths and Nodes: Cincinnati on Vimeo

Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,198,404 times
I grew up in NW Ohio (Bowling Green). I didn't get down to Cincinnati much when I lived in Ohio. We always called it "nasty-nati". The times I was there I had a good time but I could never consider living there. There are nice areas but I always felt the bad areas outweighed the good.

As a northerner, Cincinnati always felt southern to me. I feel like you could divide Ohio in two, north and south, and both would fit the stereotypes. Cincinnati might as well be in Alabama and both are too conservative for my taste.

I don't know much about Dayton as I never had a reason to go there.

ETA: If we were to play the game 'what pops into your head first when I say Cincinnati' I would say:
1. Nasty-nati
2. Skyline Chile (followed up immediatly with gaging noises)

Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,913,641 times
It seems like people from NOhio say things about SOhio (especially Cincinnati) being like Alabama, while SOhioans (less commonly) say NOhio (especially Cleveland) is a bombed out industrial wasteland like Detroit. Both of which are super-exaggerations, but I guess it makes people feel better about where they're from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio