Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM

549 posts, read 848,638 times

Advertisements

Cedarville University is a stone's throw away from Yellow Springs...one of the most liberal towns in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
^ I wonder if Cleverfield even realizes that Cedarville University just happens to be a Christian college. (This just might have something to do with the aforementioned policies.)

Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
I don't think anyone would deny there's a lot of conservative nuttery in SWO, but to extend that to Cincinnati is fallacious. It is also difficult to draw legitimate conclusions about the people living in an area based on private institutions choosing to locate there.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ I wonder if Cleverfield even realizes that Cedarville University just happens to be a Christian college. (This just might have something to do with the aforementioned policies.)
Notre Dame is a Christian College, so is John Carroll in the Cleveland area. Both of those teach evolution, and don't preach hate towards gays and lesbians. Being a Christian college does not equate to being an extremist one, as this one is.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Notre Dame is a Christian College, so is John Carroll in the Cleveland area. Both of those teach evolution, and don't preach hate towards gays and lesbians. Being a Christian college does not equate to being an extremist one, as this one is.
What conclusions do you draw about SWO having Antioch located there?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
What conclusions do you draw about SWO having Antioch located there?
As if having a liberal college nearby somehow outweighs or balances out the atrocity of having a "university" preaching hate and misinformation, and condemning critical thinking? That would be like saying, North Korea's actions and attitudes are not condemnable because South Korea is there to balance it out. The fact that such a university, and I use that term lightly, even exists is shameful, and looks poorly on your region, as does the Creation Museum, which despite being out of state, is still within that region. Cincinnati might be an exception, I don't know, I haven't been there. But with such a backwards and intellectually hostile environment surrounding it, that does not sound like a comfortable situation to me. It sounds like you're only safe if you stay within the city limits, or are close to one of the area's respected universities, and the attitudes of the surrounding area are bound to have some effect on the city.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:30 AM

Antioch is not just "a liberal college," it's possibly the most radically left college in the country.

I wonder how far the reputation of Cedarville might extend in your eyes, since it is rather close to Columbus (closer than it is to much of SWO, including Cincy). Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the institution now known as Cedarville University is from Cleveland. I'm sure you'll have some excuse for why that doesn't reflect poorly on Cleveland.

Didn't the Archiocese in Boston cover up for pedopriests? What does that tell you about Boston? Or is child rape less of an "atrocity" than hate speech?

"It sounds like you're only safe if you stay within the city limits, or are close to one of the area's respected universities, and the attitudes of the surrounding area are bound to have some effect on the city."

Safe from what? Conservatives are not the bogeyman. If you drive from Cleveland to NYC you will probably have to stop for gas in some Republican stronghold. I picture you hiding in the back seat under some blankets while your girlfriend goes inside to pay. Hell, I know some nutso conservatives who live in Aurora. You can't tell me these people don't exist in the Cleveland area. Geauga County is pretty damn red. Do you feel unsafe there? Does its existence make Cleveland uninhabitable? Give me a break.

Somehow, Austin became a nationally-recognized cool, progressive place, even though it's surrounded by blood-red Texas. By your heuristics, this is not even possible. Athens, Georgia and Asheville, NC also come to mind. Southwest Ohio looks New England blue compared to those places' surroundings.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
^ Me thinks that Cleverfield is trying much too hard erecting "straw men" in order to knock them down, especially since (by his own admittance) his ramblings through SW Ohio have been strictly from a chair in front of a computer-monitor.

Thus, with the same kind of logical perspective that Cleverfield has employed in his evaluation of Cincinnati/Dayton, I'm worried how safe he must feel in Cleveland? (i.e., with the infamous Dog Pound smack dab in the middle of downtown?) Brutish, mindless, drunken Neanderthal-Zombies unleashed every game-day, running rampant amongst a terrified populace! Yep, Polish Power at the very center of the city, while miles away, the few cultured residents still alive fight for survival behind the barricaded walls of Severance Hall. (Truly, a NE Ohio tourist-trap meant only for the bold and the brave.)

Last edited by motorman; 02-17-2013 at 04:34 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 AM

By "safe" I didn't mean physically safe; rather, I meant a tolerant, sane, and rational environment. Intellectually safe is closer to what I meant to say, and I suppose this is also connected to physical safety, although that wasn't my main concern in my use of that word. A place where one is free to hold and express diverse values, ideas, thoughts, and opinions without being lambasted with religious or political dogma is what I mean by an intellectually safe environment.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 02-17-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM

There are way too many liberals floating around for righty tighties to waste time singling out and confronting one they see at Jungle Jim's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio