Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 37,660 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Dayton-Springfield area in the very near future. I have two african american sons who will be attending high school there. I have never traveled to the area. I would like to find a place that is safe and academically challenging without any serious race issues. I hear that Beavercreek is a very good school district. I am trying to avoid the inner city of Dayton also. Would anyone have any more helpful information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 03:21 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
If you are going into Springfield for work, Beavercreek wouldn't be too bad. About a 30 min at most zip up 675 and across I-70. As someone whose attended Beavercreek schools, I've felt they've prepared me for a course in higher learning. The schools offer an assortment of AP classes (Oakwood and Centerville might have a few more) and provide students with numerous routes to success. Still, they have to persue those avenues.

As far as race, I've had friends and classmates from Chinese, Indian, African-American, and Pakistani background and I've never heard of any racial problems in the school.

If I could change one thing, it'd be the high school counsulers. With Beavercreek being as large as it is, you can get lost in the shuffle. Unless you are having major issues, they basically shoo you off. The college resource center can be a tad agrivating too, unless you are persuing PSEO. Maybe it's not that bad and I've just always been at the wrong end of someone every time I go there.

Still, for public education. The Dayton suburbs offer a wealth of top notch schools on top of being safe and having little if any racial tension.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Ok, maybe I spoke too soon on the racial tension aspect in some areas. The one place I'd be careful is Oakwood. It is very white, and judging by a number of recent comments on a local newspaper forum, there where racist remarks towards both sec. 8 housing individuals and middle/upper class residents.

What pains me is this backtracking. Just when I thought I could safely say people in the Dayton area are friendly no matter what your appearance, I get this crap. Again, sorry, my bad to assume. But then I'm sure there are bigots and people who draw all types of stereotypes in every community.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 37,660 times
I do appreciate any information that I can get on the area. I left the midwest region 15 years ago for the southwest partly because of race issues and I do not want to return to the same attitudes. I am hoping to join a more progressive community in Ohio.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:16 AM

33 posts, read 163,938 times
The South Side of Springfield is largely African American and there are some neighborhoods with very nice houses there. The public schools are not the best, but Springfield Catholic is good.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,368 times
Beavercreek is a decent district. I definitely enjoyed living and attending school there! What I like most about it is the diversity and although the high school population can be a bit intimidating, the teachers adequately prepared (or over-prepared) me for college The AP classes were VERY well taught and teachers (not just AP) not only demanded excellence, but were also understanding of students. Beavercreek is a nice area for families and it definitely has a cozy feeling to it. I would live there again if I could! Beavercreek also ranked as one of the Top 100 best places to live in USA by Money Magazine.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,482 times
Yellow Springs. Very small, progressive town south of Springfield. A gem in the midwest.

I grew up in Springfield and moved away to California. If I ever went back, I'd only go to Yellow Springs

Old 12-11-2008, 11:28 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,863,121 times
Gee, there's a nice, long list of great communtites for you to move to, and 5 have strong African-American roots.

Yellow Springs- Very progressive, large African-American community. A tad bit pricey.
Wilberforce- Home of 2 African-American colleges, Central State and Wilberforce U.
Trotwood- A little further away, but it is a nice, middle class, predominantly African-American community. Better sections would include all points west of Salem Ave. Has a golf course community if that's your thing.
Fairborn- Transitional military community, but well respected. Large minority populations.

Other ideal communities would include (in general price order)
Riverside, Huber Heights, New Carlisle/Park Layne/Crystal Lakes, Kettering, Enon, Xenia, and Beavercreek.
However, you should be able to find houses that are priced anywhere from $150,000-$350,000 in any of these communities, and actually Kettering's west side probably has the nicest houses out of any of the cities listed above.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on how the big move goes!

Last edited by Daytonnatian; 12-11-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: grannar/spelling errors

Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 AM

310 posts, read 1,209,915 times
Default Springfield Move

Here are some links that may help you with school information and ratings.

Ohio Public School Rankings

Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools.

Good luck
Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio