Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2006, 10:33 AM

105 posts, read 352,073 times

Advertisements

Sorry but I have to agree with our thread creator, I have only been here one year and after I graduate I am out of here. I mean it may seem like a nice place, but its not and is proven by the meager 1% population increase over five years. One of the smallest in the nation. Not much to do, land locked ( I dont consider a lake comparable to an ocean) hardly any friendly people in Columbus.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,038 times
Angry I strongly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Sorry but I have to agree with our thread creator, I have only been here one year and after I graduate I am out of here. I mean it may seem like a nice place, but its not and is proven by the meager 1% population increase over five years. One of the smallest in the nation. Not much to do, land locked ( I dont consider a lake comparable to an ocean) hardly any friendly people in Columbus.

I don't know where you're at in Ohio, but from where I am, I would certainly never say there is nothing to do. Have you noticed that there are three very noteable amusement parks in OH (Cedar Point, Geauga Lake, and King's Island)? Have you noticed that there are Kelleys Island and Put-in-Bay? Have you ever noticed that there are the Browns, the Cavs, and the Indians? Have you noticed that Cleveland has The Cleveland Museum of Natural History, The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, and The Cleveland Museum of Art? And that Canton is the home of the Football Hall of Fame?

Apparently you missed those things during your stay here in Ohio. I'm sorry you weren't more eager to take advantage of all Ohio has to offer.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:19 PM

123 posts, read 560,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAS View Post
I don't know where you're at in Ohio, but from where I am, I would certainly never say there is nothing to do. Have you noticed that there are three very noteable amusement parks in OH (Cedar Point, Geauga Lake, and King's Island)? Have you noticed that there are Kelleys Island and Put-in-Bay? Have you ever noticed that there are the Browns, the Cavs, and the Indians? Have you noticed that Cleveland has The Cleveland Museum of Natural History, The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame, and The Cleveland Museum of Art? And that Canton is the home of the Football Hall of Fame?

Apparently you missed those things during your stay here in Ohio. I'm sorry you weren't more eager to take advantage of all Ohio has to offer.
Sorry HAS, but I have to agree with stockdale. The things you mention there are good fun, but give you the been there/done that feeling. They pretty much involve the mainstream activities in Ohio, sports, eating, drinking alcohol, and museums. Its not all bad, but definitely needs to be more diversified. There are things to do that are great, like Cedar Point, and dont give you the been there done that feeling, but for the average northwest Ohioan activities are several hours drive away, and cost much $$$$.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:36 PM
HAS

Question What else is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Sorry HAS, but I have to agree with stockdale. The things you mention there are good fun, but give you the been there/done that feeling. They pretty much involve the mainstream activities in Ohio, sports, eating, drinking alcohol, and museums. Its not all bad, but definitely needs to be more diversified. There are things to do that are great, like Cedar Point, and dont give you the been there done that feeling, but for the average northwest Ohioan activities are several hours drive away, and cost much $$$$.

Maybe I'm just a boring Ohioan at heart, but I have no idea what the heck else there is to do besides watch/go to sporting events, go see the different exhibits at the museums, and go to amusement parks. Anything that I want to do, I can pretty much do it in OH...besides going to the ocean. I'll cave on that. The beaches aren't comparable to those of the ocean. Other than our lack of ocean, what else do ya want?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 31,841 times
Some people would gripe if you hung them with a new rope.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:49 PM

123 posts, read 560,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAS View Post
Maybe I'm just a boring Ohioan at heart, but I have no idea what the heck else there is to do besides watch/go to sporting events, go see the different exhibits at the museums, and go to amusement parks. Anything that I want to do, I can pretty much do it in OH...besides going to the ocean. I'll cave on that. The beaches aren't comparable to those of the ocean. Other than our lack of ocean, what else do ya want?
Thats fine HAS. There is nothing wrong with that. If the available activities suit you here in OH, more power! Different people like different things. To each there own. I will not criticize anyone for liking the "things to do" in OH. Its just not for me.

I like to have a wide diversity of things, especially outdoors activities that are easily accessible, like for example, going for a mountain hike after work, just for the heck of it-- and a variety of activities aforementioned within a short driving distance, that can be made into a weekend or day trip, with more enjoyment than expense involved. The reason I am tired of sports-bars, sports events, etc, is because that is all anyone ever talks about around here, at least Toledo. I don't mind going to a Mud Hens game, or a BGSU hockey game, etc, once in a while, but it gets old when no one thinks of anything else.

Plane leaves for Phoenix at 2:50pm Tuesday, so we will see. I will be back here probably once more to get the rest of my stuff out of storage and then tackle the 29 hour drive out for the first time. I plan to break it down into a 3 day trip and check out some cities on the way there. It should be pretty interesting.

Good luck to all, and happy holidays!

Old 12-22-2006, 11:29 PM
HAS

Smile To you as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Thats fine HAS. There is nothing wrong with that. If the available activities suit you here in OH, more power! Different people like different things. To each there own. I will not criticize anyone for liking the "things to do" in OH. Its just not for me.

I like to have a wide diversity of things, especially outdoors activities that are easily accessible, like for example, going for a mountain hike after work, just for the heck of it-- and a variety of activities aforementioned within a short driving distance, that can be made into a weekend or day trip, with more enjoyment than expense involved. The reason I am tired of sports-bars, sports events, etc, is because that is all anyone ever talks about around here, at least Toledo. I don't mind going to a Mud Hens game, or a BGSU hockey game, etc, once in a while, but it gets old when no one thinks of anything else.

Plane leaves for Phoenix at 2:50pm Tuesday, so we will see. I will be back here probably once more to get the rest of my stuff out of storage and then tackle the 29 hour drive out for the first time. I plan to break it down into a 3 day trip and check out some cities on the way there. It should be pretty interesting.

Good luck to all, and happy holidays!

Happy holidays to you too, OneWay. And good luck in Phoenix!

Old 12-23-2006, 03:07 AM

63 posts, read 280,260 times
HAS asks, "what else do ya want?".

Aside from a brief stint in Colorado, I've lived in Ohio all my life. If one is into what most suburbanites and city dwellers find entertaining, as some have mentioned here, then Ohio will do just fine. We don't fit that mold, and long for an a region with more natural areas and the type of outdoor activities not found in Ohio. To each his own. Most people I know find going to the mall entertaining, and never venture beyond the "Olive Garden" for a dining experience. That's all FINE, but shopping and chain restaurants don't appeal to everyone.
Some people find fault regardless of where they find themselves, and for those folks it's not about locale......but when you find yourself with the opportunity to go choose where you live, why not go where you can pursue what truly interests you, with likeminded people? We plan to leave Ohio in less than 3 years, and there are things I will really miss. No area is all bad....hold that thought while I consider Detroit. <g>

Old 12-23-2006, 10:20 PM
HAS

Question But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
HAS asks, "what else do ya want?".

Aside from a brief stint in Colorado, I've lived in Ohio all my life. If one is into what most suburbanites and city dwellers find entertaining, as some have mentioned here, then Ohio will do just fine. We don't fit that mold, and long for an a region with more natural areas and the type of outdoor activities not found in Ohio. To each his own. Most people I know find going to the mall entertaining, and never venture beyond the "Olive Garden" for a dining experience. That's all FINE, but shopping and chain restaurants don't appeal to everyone.
Some people find fault regardless of where they find themselves, and for those folks it's not about locale......but when you find yourself with the opportunity to go choose where you live, why not go where you can pursue what truly interests you, with likeminded people? We plan to leave Ohio in less than 3 years, and there are things I will really miss. No area is all bad....hold that thought while I consider Detroit. <g>

But, see, here's the thing. There ARE places to do outdoors-y type things in Ohio. Have you ever been to Mohican State Park, or to Kelleys Island? That tiny island is only like 2 miles long, but there are tons of different trails to hike on. I've been there every summer for the past 7 yrs, and eventhough it's only 2 miles long, the trails go on forever and we're always finding what seem to be new ones each time we go. And we also recently started going to Mohican which is just great. There's a river there (not sure of the name... ) and some hiking there as well. I don't know where you live in Ohio, but these places are real close to me. And I know there are more parks like Mohican in different places in Ohio as well.

I just don't really think people take the time to research things to do in Ohio because the weather is often crumby or maybe because they just have the wrong idea about the state. I don't know...sorry to hear that you plan on moving, but I wish you luck in your ventures.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
Ehhh you out of staters are just soft

Midwest Mean

*Drinks His Pop*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio