Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,380,701 times

Advertisements

quote,

1. People. There are some good people here. Dont get me wrong. Otherwise, they are very cliquey, rude, fake, and will backstab you in a moments notice. Getting drunk and driving old beat-up Camaros to the trailer park to see your girl seems to be the favorite pastime– It is at least in the part of Ohio that I am stuck in (Toledo). You have to be a “good ‘ol boy” to fit in here. Get drunk, and watch OSU!! If thats not your bag, plenty of tattoos, hat turned sideways, shorts falling off your rear, and plenty more alcohol coupled with pot (or something worse) is the way. end quote.

yeah aint it great!!! almost heaven!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 13,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayOut View Post
Hello all, Im new to this forum. I just started researching a few other states, and decided to join in. Ive been stuck here in OH, dangerously close to the Michigan line, for a few years now. I am trying relentlessly to get out, but it seems every other day something happens here to prevent it. Biggest mistake I ever made was moving here from Maryland. Here are my reasons.

Also, soda here is called “POP”, A pop is a noise, not a softdrink. (I know, grow up, but these are pet peeves)
I know some of you wont feel the same way. This is just my opinion of this place.
Hey one way,

I'm born and raised in Ohio, so I'm a POP guy. But I noticed the difference
in other parts of the country. Some parts of the South its called coke, no
matter what it is.

If you would like to see how it shakes out, look here:

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Some college did a study and they published their results for all to see. It looks like us POP folks have a slight edge, but its mostly a preference by location. Not that it matters much anyway.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM

976 posts, read 3,864,097 times
I have a friend here in Cincinnati that just moved here from Nashville, TN, and he calls it pop as well. I found it suprising because most of my family in Florida and down South call in soda.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:34 PM

123 posts, read 560,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Hey one way,

I'm born and raised in Ohio, so I'm a POP guy. But I noticed the difference
in other parts of the country. Some parts of the South its called coke, no
matter what it is.

If you would like to see how it shakes out, look here:

http://www.popvssoda.com/

Some college did a study and they published their results for all to see. It looks like us POP folks have a slight edge, but its mostly a preference by location. Not that it matters much anyway.
Haha, not surprised there was a research project done on it. It does not really bother me anyways, pop or soda, whatever.

When I was in AZ earlier this year, it was soda. Atlanta, pop, and soda. MD, all soda.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:24 PM

450 posts, read 1,204,179 times
I read this thread and can't believe how people are still talking about pop or soda...being originally from TOLEDO (T-TOWN) I say Pop and sweeper...and now I live in Cinti and people talk differently down here than up there....so it just depends we can't tell people how to talk...just listen and laugh if you must

Old 10-29-2006, 03:30 PM

976 posts, read 3,864,097 times
^ I think some people don't realize that people from all across the nation no matter what state you live in talk different. Believe it or not people in different sections of a state talk different than others. Its not just a statewide thing.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,873 times
I have lived in Ohio most of my life, but have lived out side of Ohio off and on and I have found most people who transplant themselves to a new state will always feel like outsiders. Especially if they dwell in their past and judge their new neighbors in comparison to where they grew up.

Rude Back Stabbers can be found everywhere you move to.

As far as our lauguage the Ohio Accent is supposed to that non accent you hear news casters use. I come from North East Ohio and My WV parents called soft drink "Pop" and my southern Ohio inlaws call it "Soda". As far as Sweepers or Vacuum Cleaners we can call it anything we want to because the Hoover Company in North Canton OH invented the things!

You're Welcome

Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 PM

123 posts, read 560,874 times
Default A summary..

I received this post in an email from a friend today. It pretty much sums it all up for me exactly. Sorry for the length.

Posted by: Exodus
I come from a family that has until myself lived in Ohio in abject poverty for the last 100 years and I think my life experiences and observations qualifies me to say that the greatest problem facing Ohioans is a lack of Hope. I think one of the earlier posters put it right when he said that Ohio will give you a couple good days then turn around and stab you in the back.

Some people have said Ohio isn’t all bad and they are correct there are good places but having lived in South Eastern Ohio (ranked the poorest place in the entire U.S.) where the vast majority of people are living at or below the poverty level and having lived in some of the best places Upper Arlington, Columbus, the suburbish “ex-urbs” around Cincinnati, I have to say the majority of Ohioans live in poor, dead-end job, slum/trailer-park/poo-dunk communities.

The real problems with these places is the cycle of poverty, hopeless poverty and the ignorance that goes along with it. From having had the luxury of traveling the nation on both coasts, down many many biking tours of Ohio and been raised in a more “cultured” home I can say the comments on the narrow minded, ignorant, self-defeating, redneck culture are very true. The people here worship at the alter of football and motor sports, while pounding down some type of drug, alcohol or both to distract themselves from their sad lot in life.

The fear of finances that prevent people from leaving is all too real as while the housing is “affordable” the average wage is scaled down as well, a $75,000 dollar home takes time to pay off on a $26k/yr income (espcially with a family to support on that wage). In my hometown I grew up in all to often people, particularly men, would commit suicide if they were diagnosed with cancer or some other severe disease as it was not the depressing news, but the thought of the financial burden treatment would place on the family that put them over the edge (as there suicide notes stated).

The weather seems to reflect the generally negative and depressing attitude of Ohio’s denizens, 7-8 months of grey rainy skies gives way to hot, humid, opressive summers. Ohio literrally gets more precipitation than Seattle and more days of cloudy skies.

Right now I’m looking a graduating from OSU this year and being the first person in both sides of my family to have ever recieved a college degree. I soon will be leaving Ohio to find a job just like the majority of Ohio college graduates in what has been termed in Ohio as “The Great Brain Drain” as this state offers few job oppertunities for someone with a degree aside from teaching in the public shools or managing some telemarketing call center.

Every time I go home I struggle with things that others have already commented on from friends and relatives wanting to suck off any potential wealth me and my family can offer as they feel they are “owed” to being treated like **** out of hand because I’m now a “big headed college boy”. I take this in stride and with good humor because in contrast when I was in high school and playing varsity football at my parents behest, my team was always in state title contention and these same people insisted on treating me like some hometown hero(which I hated). To this day they insist, as they did then, that those would be the “best years of my entire life”. This is becuase next to NFL and College football, high school football is the next favorite thing on Ohioans lists and this is not limited to the rednecks. Maybe this gives you some more personalized insight into the type of people that live in Ohio and why, though I won’t say Ohio sucks (there are far worse places in the world) it is in fact loaded with negatives. The people here can’t seem to ever free themselves from: money woes, major family problems(abuse etc.), drug habits, unwanted pregnancies. So all they can do is sit idly by stuck in their problems.

Here’s a list of things I’ve noticed in my life:

Corrupt Politicians

High Taxes (we’re rated 11th highest in the nation)

Major Drug Problems (#1 Meth consuming state YAY!)

Rapidly Growing Crime Rate

Overweight People ( Everything revolves around watching sports and eating food here! Columbus is the 4th fatest city in the U.S)

Ignorant People (All the smart people are leaving!)

Obnoxious People

Narrow Minded People

Religiously Intolerent People (had Hanzel and Grettle taken out of my elementary school b/c it “promoted” witch craft)

Crap Weather

From Oneway: I know I will get some flack for agreeing with this person, but this is how I really see Ohio. It is general, and of course does not apply to all Ohioans. I have met some good ones on this forum, so do not think this post is directed towards you.

Last edited by OneWayOut; 10-31-2006 at 09:37 PM..

Old 11-01-2006, 02:25 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,380,701 times
one way,
i think you really need to wake up, before you do something stupid,
i dont think its that ohio is that bad, i think its you.
you seem to blame everything on location location location.
you need to get out and meet people if you dont want the springer type , go to where they arent, join a church if you have too, life is what you make it not what your surroundings are. you hold the key to happiness.
heck im married to the meanest woman in the world but i wont give her the satisfaction of trying to ruin my day. happiness is a state of mind and you control your mind not the state of ohio.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Gee

67 posts, read 340,979 times
OneWayOut

I read this story not too long ago:

An 82-year old man, who is dressed each morning by 8 with his hair combed and face shaved, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home. As he manuvered his walker to the elevator, an aide described his tiny room. "I love it!" he said. "Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room," he said. "That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied. "happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged. It's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice;I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get our of bed and be thankful for the ones that do.
"Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away.

I have found that many young and some retired people move away only to realize what Ohio does offer! So goes the saying The grass is always greener on the other side.

That said I do believe Ohio has some major issues to work on!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio