Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 27,933 times

Advertisements

I moved from Canada to Ohio a couple months back, and having finally gotten my SSN, I have scheduled my driving test. I am doing it in Ravenna and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or tips about how the test is?

I ran through the maneuverability motions a few times a night (I guess technically you're not supposed to do it there, but the pylons weren't there anyway - just the markings on the pavement).

But I'm not sure what to expect for the road test? My car only has metric units (i.e. no MPH in the speedometer, but when I called the test centre they said it's not a problem). What kind of things do they test for exactly anyway then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
take a look at ODPS | BMV | New Driver Information
written test, vision test, driving skills test

There should be a handbook that you can get before the test.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 PM

11 posts, read 33,614 times
Hello,
Typically the driving test is seven to ten minutes long. In my experience (former drivers ed instructor, they are looking for nice smooth stops, accelerations, smooth turns (not too fast, not too slow). Not too sharp, not to wide. Make sure you make a complete stop at stop signs (feel the car jerk back a little bit) Try spelling stop in your head before you go. When leaving parking areas (for example the testing center) treat it like a stop sign. Make sure you stop behind stop lines and crosswalks near stop signs, red lights, etc. Don't do anything they would consider dangerous (run a stop sign, red light, don't cut anyone off or tailgate. Make sure you signal 100 feet prior to a turn (about the distance between two telephone poles. Typically the test in Canfield Ohio is mostly residential 25 mph or maybe a little 35 mph. I hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:37 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,670 times
I took my driving test in Ravenna, although it was in 1997 so some things might have changed.

If I remember right, it sounds similar to ytownguy's description of the Canfield test, lots of residential streets and 4-way stops (make sure you come to a complete stop!). I passed on the first try, it had the 'reputation' of being the easiest place to pass amongst the various testing locations in the region. Not sure how much credence that holds though when you are talking about 16 year-olds being the ones making that judgement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio